Author Topic: Corona Renderer 7 for 3ds Max - Daily Builds Discussion  (Read 175663 times)

2021-03-25, 13:30:54
Reply #210

aaouviz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Another Angle 3D
"We now render the image in 32x32 pixel buckets"

it looks not good.. where can I turn it off?
Hi,

Thanks for the feedback, currently you can't turn it off. But we are working on a fix so that it will become less noticeable. Stay tuned.

Rowan

Just asking out of pure curiosity but I'm wondering, is it possible to have the first couple of passes render oldschool style and then the rest do the new bucket thing?

What does it matter? It's not affecting the final render, it's visible for only the pre-comp anyway and if it results in faster renders then it's certainly worthwhile.
Nicolas Pratt
Another Angle 3D
https://www.instagram.com/anotherangle3d/

2021-03-25, 14:01:49
Reply #211

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Just a note that whether it matters or not varies from person to person - for some, the psychological sense of loss of speed due to the buckets is important; for others, they don't care about that and just care about the actual final speed no matter how it looks or "feels". We'll try and find a way to make it a good solution for both groups, one way or another :)
Tom Grimes | chaos-corona.com
Product Manager | contact us

2021-03-25, 14:31:25
Reply #212

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Exactly, some of us likes not only when their renders are beatiful, but also when renderer itself is beautiful :]
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2021-03-25, 14:38:39
Reply #213

LorenzoS

• Active Users
    • View Profile
render image in 32x32 pixel buckets has or will have impact in ram consumpion?

2021-03-25, 14:52:06
Reply #214

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
If it did, I'd expected it to have been noted in the changelog https://forum.corona-renderer.com/index.php?topic=30876.msg183142#msg183142 ("We now render the image in 32x32 pixel buckets. 5% speedup on average, up to 15% in some scenes.")

2021-03-25, 14:54:47
Reply #215

Frood

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Rakete GmbH
And in fact I don't see any significant difference in peak levels until now. Mem usage looks a bit different though, but there is so much 3ds max involved that one cannot tell...

Good Luck

Never underestimate the power of a well placed level one spell.

2021-03-25, 15:50:05
Reply #216

Nejc Kilar

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My personal website
"We now render the image in 32x32 pixel buckets"

it looks not good.. where can I turn it off?
Hi,

Thanks for the feedback, currently you can't turn it off. But we are working on a fix so that it will become less noticeable. Stay tuned.

Rowan

Just asking out of pure curiosity but I'm wondering, is it possible to have the first couple of passes render oldschool style and then the rest do the new bucket thing?

What does it matter? It's not affecting the final render, it's visible for only the pre-comp anyway and if it results in faster renders then it's certainly worthwhile.

Just being curious really, that's all. If there is a middle ground I'm sure the devs will try to aim for that and I'm just wondering if that's how the middle ground could look like.
Nejc Kilar | chaos-corona.com
Educational Content Creator | contact us

2021-03-25, 16:17:53
Reply #217

lupaz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
"We now render the image in 32x32 pixel buckets. 5% speedup on average, up to 15% in some scenes."
From the changelog :) https://forum.corona-renderer.com/index.php?topic=30876.msg183142#msg183142

This isn't on Interactive rendering, correct? Just a bit concerned. I hated when corona changed to the trendy thicc pixels in a previous version.

2021-03-25, 16:21:30
Reply #218

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
It's on both IR and final (in the current daily, I should add - who knows in future dailies though depending on what we try, in order to keep everyone happy and getting the max benefit from the power of Corona :) )

2021-03-25, 17:07:14
Reply #219

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Bug report: build March 22 - it seems that converted materials don't differentiate glossiness from roughness too well. I converted some old clear glass material to new physical material and converter set its roughness mode to glossiness. That would be fine, if not the fact that presets still treats it like roughness and all rough/gloss values are inverted, i.e. if i choose glass preset, it sets glossiness to 0
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2021-03-25, 17:09:45
Reply #220

rowmanns

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Corona for 3ds Max QA Team
    • View Profile
I'm almost sure it's FPP 6.2.x with an animated camera, referenced in a forest object (@Rowan: see ticket #184420).

To test:

• switch to a one viewport layout, move away from the scene - looking into the sky for example
  • remove the camera reference from all FPP objects
  • delete all keys of the animated camera
  • delete all FPP objects
  • update to a newer FPP version (which one do you use Jens?), I could not repro this with 6.3.1 (which we currently use) any more

If IR stops restarting in any of the above cases, it's the FPP bounding box issue: As soon as the mouse hovers over the bounding box of a FPP object, IR restarts. Maybe you could check this.

Good Luck

Hi Frood, sorry for not getting back to you on this. I got the IR refresh bug again, and came back to this thread to read through what you said. You are right!! If I disable them but the forest pack icon is still visible, nothing changes. But if I hide them completely in the forest lister, the IR bug goes away. That's it.

It's 100% tied to the camera. If I remove the "limit to visibility" under the Forestobject's "camera" roll down menu, the IR bug goes away.

update: Just saw this on the forum. Guess I'll try with that update :)
Forest Pack 7.0.8
- Fixed continuous updating of Interactive Render when using Camera->"Limit to Visibility".
   * This bug would also affect general performance when camera clipping is enabled on viewport.

Cheers!
Hi Jens,

I just tested your scene with FP 7.0.9. and it no longer constantly refreshes! Could you give it a go too and let me know if you still have any issues?

Cheers,

Rowan
Please read this before reporting bugs: How to report issues to us!
Send me your scene!

2021-03-25, 17:18:10
Reply #221

ArchSpideR

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I think the best option would be to give a choice of what to convert the material into, to the corona standard or to the physical one

2021-03-26, 00:39:03
Reply #222

danio1011

• Active Users
    • View Profile
It's on both IR and final (in the current daily, I should add - who knows in future dailies though depending on what we try, in order to keep everyone happy and getting the max benefit from the power of Corona :) )

I find it makes IR a little less effective for me.  The chunky resolve makes it a little harder to 'predict' the final outcome of a texture, for example, when you are working a mile-a-minute.  Maybe it's just me but that's my $0.02.  Wouldn't matter to me on production but I wonder about its effectiveness for IR.  Maybe it's an option?

2021-03-26, 02:33:02
Reply #223

ihabkal

• Active Users
    • View Profile
is anyone else having random crashes once they start rendering the high res 6K wide images with the latest couple of builds?
sometimes after 20 passes, sometimes close to 50 passes and max shuts down completely. same happens with backburner and DR.

2021-03-26, 06:15:05
Reply #224

BVVV

• Active Users
    • View Profile

I find it makes IR a little less effective for me.  The chunky resolve makes it a little harder to 'predict' the final outcome of a texture, for example, when you are working a mile-a-minute.  Maybe it's just me but that's my $0.02.  Wouldn't matter to me on production but I wonder about its effectiveness for IR.  Maybe it's an option?

Me too.
The new 32x32 bucket has slowed down the IR operating experience by 50% (personal feeling).
I could preview the results in real-time quickly and smoothly while operating,now I have to wait a while. This sluggishness makes me very uncomfortable.
It may be a good choice to only apply 32x32 buckets on the final rendering to speed up.