Author Topic: MyLittleSomethingExperimental  (Read 19669 times)

2012-12-10, 21:55:35
Reply #15

lacilaci

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I hope it will be solved soon. I consider it a bug... Other renderers handle it correctly so that you don't see such artifacts :)

Definitely... I don't even know, is this an image sampling error in corona, or image filtering? Or does it need some advanced alien technology from this guy?

2012-12-10, 22:04:26
Reply #16

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
I consider it a bug...

I don't, so good luck getting it "fixed" ;). The proper solution would be probably disabling the visibility of sun in reflections.
« Last Edit: 2012-12-10, 22:18:47 by Keymaster »
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2012-12-11, 08:49:30
Reply #17

Ludvik Koutny

• VIP
  • Active Users
  • Just another user
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
I consider it a bug...

I don't, so good luck getting it "fixed" ;). The proper solution would be probably disabling the visibility of sun in reflections.

So now you like ugly fakes, huh? As i already shown you on iRay examples, sun is there, but the dot is correctly dim, it doesn't splat white on the surrounding pixels, but properly averages the value. It's about what is pleasant to the eye. If you don't consider it a bug, or intend to fix it by completely disabling sun reflection, then good luck selling your renderer.

2012-12-11, 10:32:30
Reply #18

lacilaci

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Ok, seriously now. This might be a big issue in animation of some complex environment. We have not seen a full featured CGI environment with all sorts of artificial lights to enhance the atmosphere during an animation with lots of moving objects etc and all extremely sharp in 1080p. If corona continues doing so well and have all the popular features as hair and sss and so on(Btw I can imagine some furry stuff:D having shader with sharp reflections where it could be pretty problematic to avoid this issue) it will face situations like this.

Cause if some popular studio decides to try corona out doing some crazy shit, then avoiding direct and in reflection visibility of lightsources because of some aliasing or image filtering issue is out of question. You can't change the look of the scene in animation and tell the client it can't be done this way. As a studio you would have to choose another renderer and your product reputation goes down.

And this is something you know of. How much can appear once it goes commercial what you don't know about cause it has not been tested? You won't know how and suddenly there will be tons of people arguing with you why the product they bought is not working as expected. This is not a missing feature you can make your future client aware that it does not have. How would you explain to them that the white overkill:D is normal and how would you make customer aware of this. Would you state this behavior in features category?

Like it or not, once you get this commercial you will be sooner or later forced by some client to make this go away cause money plays. Why not do it before it is commercial to save time for future not known issues you will face? I don't know who do you want to aim your product at. As an individual you can live with this, not a really big problem. But as a studio with lots of bought licenses and some paid courses(big studios will gladly pay you to come there and teach their people how to use corona more effectively etc) you would be much less tolerant to stuff like this.

I wish you the best, don't think of this as a complaint, I love corona it has massive potential. I don't care, I haven't paid for corona now and I don't care how you do your stuff. But try statement "good luck fixing it" to someone who buys your product :D good luck with that man:D

2012-12-11, 11:27:40
Reply #19

Chakib

• Active Users
  • Corona Omnomnomer !
    • View Profile
Ok, seriously now. This might be a big issue in animation of some complex environment. We have not seen a full featured CGI environment with all sorts of artificial lights to enhance the atmosphere during an animation with lots of moving objects etc and all extremely sharp in 1080p. If corona continues doing so well and have all the popular features as hair and sss and so on(Btw I can imagine some furry stuff:D having shader with sharp reflections where it could be pretty problematic to avoid this issue) it will face situations like this.

Cause if some popular studio decides to try corona out doing some crazy shit, then avoiding direct and in reflection visibility of lightsources because of some aliasing or image filtering issue is out of question. You can't change the look of the scene in animation and tell the client it can't be done this way. As a studio you would have to choose another renderer and your product reputation goes down.

And this is something you know of. How much can appear once it goes commercial what you don't know about cause it has not been tested? You won't know how and suddenly there will be tons of people arguing with you why the product they bought is not working as expected. This is not a missing feature you can make your future client aware that it does not have. How would you explain to them that the white overkill:D is normal and how would you make customer aware of this. Would you state this behavior in features category?

Like it or not, once you get this commercial you will be sooner or later forced by some client to make this go away cause money plays. Why not do it before it is commercial to save time for future not known issues you will face? I don't know who do you want to aim your product at. As an individual you can live with this, not a really big problem. But as a studio with lots of bought licenses and some paid courses(big studios will gladly pay you to come there and teach their people how to use corona more effectively etc) you would be much less tolerant to stuff like this.

I wish you the best, don't think of this as a complaint, I love corona it has massive potential. I don't care, I haven't paid for corona now and I don't care how you do your stuff. But try statement "good luck fixing it" to someone who buys your product :D good luck with that man:D

I agree with Lacilaci, hope the major issues will be fixed soon.

I'm planning to buy the final release of Corona or the beta stable one if it will be for sell, so guys i'm waiting for your big effort to improve and fix this baby and limit the fakes inside it, Good luck !

2012-12-11, 11:37:09
Reply #20

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
But try statement "good luck fixing it" to someone who buys your product :D good luck with that man:D

That was meant specifically for rawalanche, because he can be quite annoying when something is not done his way ;). Here is more part of the development team than a customer ;).
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2012-12-11, 12:04:23
Reply #21

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Here's a very quick scene with a 4min render and almost no fireflies. You must be doing something wrong with your materials, environment or render setup. Maybe it's because your grass geometry is so dense and there are some reflection artefacts where two blades interpenetrate.
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2012-12-11, 12:11:49
Reply #22

lacilaci

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Here's a very quick scene with a 4min render and almost no fireflies. You must be doing something wrong with your materials, environment or render setup. Maybe it's because your grass geometry is so dense and there are some reflection artefacts where two blades interpenetrate.

I already fixed that issue changing the materials... And unless those white spots on your trees and on the ground are some flowers, then you might have this problem aswell :)

2012-12-11, 12:18:24
Reply #23

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
No, they are reflections, but when I zoom I can see they are soft. Your renders have very strong, one pixel sized fireflies.
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2012-12-11, 12:30:39
Reply #24

Chakib

• Active Users
  • Corona Omnomnomer !
    • View Profile

Dense or not, it should be good for any kind of clean geometry man !

Try your scene at night lighting and put some glass and emitters, and show us the result

2012-12-11, 12:35:55
Reply #25

lacilaci

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Well that was in fact reflection aswell... The problem was more apparent because I used high glossiness values and I got rid of it by tuning down reflections a lot. Here it's not a big deal cause you wouldn't expect to see in scene like this some objects reflected on the grass blades or so.. But you might come across a situation where you would need to see some clear reflections from lots of objects and there if you had a refleced lightsource it may be tricky to fix that.

Even in your case let's say that you are ok with those overbright spots etc. But it's a still render. I'm wondering how would those white spots in reflections behave in motion. I'm guessing they would randomly appear and disappear during animation since they're very visible small sharp and seen on very small area only in a specific angle where the refl. sees the sun/light so I doubt that the transition would be smooth with wind blowing animations over trees and grasses and camera in motion. But again. For vegetation where it doesn't matter, tuning down relfection works ok.

2012-12-11, 12:57:45
Reply #26

lacilaci

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I wonder if some implementation of physical camera with the ability to tonemap overbright pixels would solve the issue. Or maybe a feature in post processing category to limit somehow framebuffer max intensity.... You know, somehow limit those overbright values intensity. Cause it looks like a regular situation when aliasing appears in overbright parts of scene and you need to tonemap the image to get rid of it.

2012-12-11, 13:28:38
Reply #27

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
You can do that even now, just use VFB internal resolution > 1 AND aggresive tone mapping (high value of white multiplier)

2012-12-11, 13:43:17
Reply #28

lacilaci

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I'm actually testing that now :).... I hope this will work.

2012-12-11, 14:01:25
Reply #29

lacilaci

• Active Users
    • View Profile
No luck. The sky and overal image goes darker/less contrasty but even with highlight burn at 5000 and internal res at 3 its those overbright pixels are still there when using highly reflective material even though due to the overall darkening they're darker aswell :D. It's like those values are out of range no matter what you do. I'm gonna try some highlight fixing on this in post to see if it's even possible to tone them down.