Author Topic: Why Corona doesn’t have a proper velvet/cloth shader?  (Read 3269 times)

2020-03-17, 10:17:58

sirio76

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Creating correct velvet shader is nearly impossible in Corona(at least on Cinema4D), you can fake the effect as much as you want with traditional technique but in the end it’s just fake and not very convincing. Feel free to prove me wrong by showing great looking velvet made in Corona;)
F-storm, Blender and Arnold have a dedicated setting(I don’t know for sure but I’ve seen good velvet on Octane too so maybe that’s another one), Vray do not have this but at least have several BRDF model with proper tail falloff control, plus some OSL shaders and Vray scan to help.
Is there any plan to add a dedicated setting to get nice velvet shader?
Corona is a good engine but IMO his material system(especially on C4D) is not very good compared to competition, I know one of the main goal of the engine is to be as simple as possible, but it’s a shame that when you try to rise the bar the software will not allow you to build more complex stuff.

2020-03-17, 15:59:21
Reply #1

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
The answer is quite simple - developing new features takes time, and it takes even more time when other features are being worked on and bugs are being fixed at the same time.
We actually used to have a brand new PBR shader planned for the next major release, but sadly it had to be moved to the "Pool of big ideas for potential implementation in the future releases".
See:
3ds Max Tentative Roadmap - https://trello.com/b/EfPE4kPx/corona-tentative-road-map-3ds-max
C4D Tentative Roadmap - https://trello.com/b/dgI8vjDb/corona-tentative-road-map-cinema-4d

We are however aware that other renderers feature this, and that it's widely requested by the Corona community. Stay tuned!
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us