Author Topic: Some thoughts on Caustics  (Read 10469 times)

2019-06-13, 00:23:18
Reply #15

Njen

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Cyan Eyed
Just to chime in here on a request about caustics that has already been asked for, is the ability to enable caustics by material is necessary. For example, caustics really makes eyes look much more realistic, but I don't want to turn on caustics for the entire scene just to get a few pixels looking better.

The current work around I am doing is rendering a second pass of just the eyes held out by the rest of the scene, then comping the caustics render element from that second pass on top of my character render. The final result looks great and takes less time than if I had enabled caustics for the whole scene, but there is obviously the overhead of rendering a second pass to get what I want.

2019-06-13, 03:20:32
Reply #16

Javadevil

• Active Users
    • View Profile

1) upgrade your CPU to double # of cores (e.g. new ryzens with 16 cores costing $750)
2) turn on caustics in every render
3) render time stays the same, every scene has caustics
4) you got caustics for $750 ;)

Thats my plan :)

2019-06-13, 10:20:14
Reply #17

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
Just to chime in here on a request about caustics that has already been asked for, is the ability to enable caustics by material is necessary. For example, caustics really makes eyes look much more realistic, but I don't want to turn on caustics for the entire scene just to get a few pixels looking better.

The current work around I am doing is rendering a second pass of just the eyes held out by the rest of the scene, then comping the caustics render element from that second pass on top of my character render. The final result looks great and takes less time than if I had enabled caustics for the whole scene, but there is obviously the overhead of rendering a second pass to get what I want.

The way the current solver works, there probably wouldnt be the speedup you would expect from this, since the photons cannot be guided to hit just specific materials...
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2019-06-13, 12:06:23
Reply #18

Jpjapers

• Active Users
    • View Profile

The way the current solver works, there probably wouldnt be the speedup you would expect from this, since the photons cannot be guided to hit just specific materials...

Just curious. Do you emit special photons for the caustics that behave differently or do you use the same photons but run different calculations. Just curious about how it works :)

2019-06-13, 12:26:53
Reply #19

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
I will just put this small trick out here for desperate people: Render Caustics outside of beauty pass, and denoise them. Even Optix Denoiser creates magic out of them in matter of minutes.
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2019-06-13, 13:15:03
Reply #20

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile

Just curious. Do you emit special photons for the caustics that behave differently or do you use the same photons but run different calculations. Just curious about how it works :)
we use photons only for caustics, not for anything else. Hope I understrood the question right ;)
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2019-06-13, 16:32:20
Reply #21

Mr.Max

• Active Users
    • View Profile
what about adding Caching option for caustics  ?
In VRay we used to calculate the caustics once then use the same cache for all other shots, when there is no animation of course .
is is possible to add in future?
Simply, I love to put pixels together! Sounds easy right : ))
https://www.behance.net/NawrasRyhan

2019-06-13, 17:03:58
Reply #22

martinsik

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
what about adding Caching option for caustics  ?
In VRay we used to calculate the caustics once then use the same cache for all other shots, when there is no animation of course .
is is possible to add in future?

Such caching would be extremely memory consuming. Corona caustics solver generates a new set of photons for each pass with each set having millions of photons. Let's say you render 100 passes per image, the cache would then contain photons from all the passes, so something around billion photons. This would hardly fit into memory.

2019-06-13, 17:15:54
Reply #23

shoebu23

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Team,

Amazing job, well done!  Quick question... with 'only in caustics element enabled', is there a way to see the combined effect directly in the VFB without having to go into Photoshop?  I like the idea of separating out beauty from CShading_Caustics- but would love to be able to quickly see (or even adjust) it in the VFB.  Thanks!

2019-06-13, 17:51:09
Reply #24

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Team,

Amazing job, well done!  Quick question... with 'only in caustics element enabled', is there a way to see the combined effect directly in the VFB without having to go into Photoshop?  I like the idea of separating out beauty from CShading_Caustics- but would love to be able to quickly see (or even adjust) it in the VFB.  Thanks!

No way to do this at present, no, sorry.
Tom Grimes | chaos-corona.com
Product Manager | contact us

2019-06-13, 18:06:17
Reply #25

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
There is one workaround, I will write it just for the sheer absurdity :- ).

Make two copies of the same light (one with Caustic On, one Off), each into separate LightSelect Layers and than you can see both Beauty+Caustic and Beauty without in LightMixer.
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2019-06-13, 18:12:40
Reply #26

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
There is one workaround, I will write it just for the sheer absurdity :- ).

Make two copies of the same light (one with Caustic On, one Off), each into separate LightSelect Layers and than you can see both Beauty+Caustic and Beauty without in LightMixer.
please don't ;)

2019-06-17, 18:23:44
Reply #27

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile

Here is an improvement we just did, now it requires about half rendertime for the same quality of caustics: https://corona-renderer.com/comparer/0cZSSm

Will you print me the tshirt now? :D

2019-06-18, 12:12:59
Reply #28

Image Complete

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Our Website
It is 1 min vs 1.03 min. Am I missing something? :[
We offer Visual Communication

2019-06-18, 12:32:02
Reply #29

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
it is same time comparison, see quality of the caustics, especially inside the ring and pool