Author Topic: Caustics playground!  (Read 43747 times)

2019-04-26, 11:48:20
Reply #45

Fluss

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I'm quite surprised you choose the photon mapping route (or maybe not->). What about VCM (maybe it is already) or UPBP (I know you're familiar with those ones ;) ) or even Bidir MLT? This is still a great addition in its current state but I found the results pretty noisy (speckles) or blotchy at times. Wouldn't one of the aforementioned algorithms be more suited in some cases?

The only drawback I can see is that's you'll be almost constrained to remove MSI for the caustics to works with those, leading to very high render times and speckles fest. Is that the main blocker?

« Last Edit: 2019-04-29, 12:57:28 by Fluss »

2019-04-26, 16:33:20
Reply #46

sprayer

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I was tried  to test on old scenes with glass in different scenarios with liquid and without. And i do not see good result with caustic, it barely visible. Is this something wrong with my scene setup? Is it required some special light to see caustic more brighter?
In new simple scene i can  see it because i am trying to see it, but in scene with more complex light and materials like absorption in liquid or ice cube it's almost not visible.

here scenes without caustic what was tested  https://i.imgur.com/Ha8ema8.jpg
they was saved in old version of corona

2019-04-26, 16:41:08
Reply #47

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Bear in mind the limitation in the current build that will be fixed, where one light source can make the caustics disappear (most often this shows as "enable an HDRI environment, and the caustics from other light sources disappear).

I've had no trouble with absorption, e.g. thick glass. So I suspect this is just the issue above (which is noted as a limitation at the moment on the web page).
Tom Grimes | chaos-corona.com
Product Manager | contact us

2019-04-26, 17:15:40
Reply #48

sprayer

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Yes all my scenes lights with hdri and other several light source for reflection on glass, thanks for explanation

2019-04-26, 17:45:42
Reply #49

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
NP! I had the same thing happen to me, just adding an HDRI caused the bright sunlight to stop creating caustics - is on the cards to be fixed before release though.
Tom Grimes | chaos-corona.com
Product Manager | contact us

2019-04-26, 21:06:27
Reply #50

sprayer

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I suppose another limitation is how it works with shadowcatcher?

2019-04-27, 07:26:01
Reply #51

Zray

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • 3darcspace studio
Caustic just works with simple scenes. When all objects were unhiding, caustic was invisible - it just worked a couple of time.

2019-04-28, 14:03:04
Reply #52

Gandolf

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • One Click Magic
The new Caustics are just pure gold, very well done Dev`s!

2019-04-28, 17:04:34
Reply #53

Zray

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • 3darcspace studio
Update: it works now, but just for only one light in my scene, when I added a new light, the sun's caustic is off.

2019-04-29, 11:58:06
Reply #54

Frood

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Rakete GmbH

I fear this is Pandora's Box. But yes, we would need a CausticCatcher or a consolidated matte material able to do both (and more).

Good Luck

Never underestimate the power of a well placed level one spell.

2019-04-29, 12:27:02
Reply #55

Tanakov

• Active Users
  • Corona is faster than diarrhea
    • View Profile
    • https://www.behance.net/Gringott
Is this known limitation that when you use Volumetrics with caustics the render goes black as soon as caustics kick in?
Using Corona since 2014-01-02
https://www.behance.net/Gringott

2019-04-29, 13:08:22
Reply #56

Nekrobul

• Primary Certified Instructor
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Overall i think there is something wrong with calculation of number and randomisation of rays caused by caustics, when there is more than 1-2 lightsources and dificult reflective materials (bump, complex glossines etc) it freaks out and stays with the first raycast of caustics wich causes a lot of overbright fireflys wich are not removed by the denoiser nor intel nor native.

I will try to provide proving tests for my words in couple of days.
---------------------------------------------------------------
https://www.blackbellstudio.com/
https://www.behance.net/blackbell3d
CEO at "Blackbell Studio"

2019-04-29, 13:14:36
Reply #57

martinsik

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Update: it works now, but just for only one light in my scene, when I added a new light, the sun's caustic is off.
Could you perhaps share this scene (or maybe its simplified version where this issue still occurs)?

2019-04-29, 13:15:43
Reply #58

martinsik

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile

I fear this is Pandora's Box. But yes, we would need a CausticCatcher or a consolidated matte material able to do both (and more).

Good Luck
What you mean by this? Currently caustics should be displayed on shadowcatcher? Is this something that you don't want? Or is it just not working?

2019-04-29, 13:16:05
Reply #59

martinsik

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Is this known limitation that when you use Volumetrics with caustics the render goes black as soon as caustics kick in?
This looks like a bug. Could you please provide a scene for us?