Author Topic: Rendering a normal A3 image  (Read 11979 times)

2018-02-09, 11:32:18
Reply #30

fabio81

• Active Users
    • View Profile
did the Msi values change you? GIvsAA? they influence a lot on great resolutions

2018-02-09, 13:19:47
Reply #31

3DRenders

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I‘m doing renderings like this in daily business with no problems at all.
If your rendering behaves different(crashes) in higher resolutions but runs fine with lower  resolutions its most likely a memory issue.
One thing most people don‘t take into consideration is displacement. As this is resolution dependant (screen Space) by default and mesh subdivs will substantially increase and fill your memory with higher resolutions.
I highly recomend monitoring your memory usage. fe with Taskmanager oder activity monitor (OSX)

best regards
Markus

Ok cheers Markus! I'm unsure as i have 56 Gig ram so a simple scene like that shouldn't have issues...

did the Msi values change you? GIvsAA? they influence a lot on great resolutions

no i leave the max sample intensity at default.

2018-02-09, 13:52:32
Reply #32

fabio81

• Active Users
    • View Profile
It would be to change and I'm trying to figure out how. In my case an A3 300dpi did only 20 passes and too much noise even setting 3.5% noise

2018-02-10, 12:40:24
Reply #33

Eddoron

• Active Users
  • Achieved Pedestrian
    • View Profile
It doesn't matter if it's an animation or not. With LODs, you save lots and lots of memory.
You don't need R19 or a tree generator for that, just a low poly version of the plants which you can create.
Then keyframe the appearance of the high/low-poly geometry or use xpresso to automate that based on distance.
You can also render the house and the plants in separate renders. and compose them later. (use placeholders to cast shadows onto those objects)

Oh ok, i see. Have no idea how to do it, but i understand what you mean

If you want, I could put together a guide, when i have the time.
I don't know if you have R19, if not, there are some easy to use free tools out there which can do the same job.

2018-02-10, 15:30:57
Reply #34

3DRenders

• Active Users
    • View Profile
If you want, I could put together a guide, when i have the time.
I don't know if you have R19, if not, there are some easy to use free tools out there which can do the same job.

yes that will always be very helpful! No on R18 :)

2018-02-13, 06:08:04
Reply #35

Eddoron

• Active Users
  • Achieved Pedestrian
    • View Profile
Ok, let's do it quick 'n' dirty!

First of all, I won't go into detail how the external applications work. They're easy to use and you will find lots of documentation, videos, tutorials with a google search. I'll just concentrate on creating a lower level of detail model.

If you don't already have it, you should download Xnormal and Instant Meshes. The latter is more optional but if you want a cleaner topology, get that too. Xnormal is a must have and I'll just concentrate on that.

Inside C4D:
Let's assume you have a High-poly mesh.(pic 1) It should be properly UV mapped, no overlaps, flattened.
Make sure it's in the center at 0,0,0(same with rotation) and export that mesh as an OBJ file. (you can take the original file if it's done properly)

Add a polygon reduction modifier/deformer to your object and set the % amount to how many polygons you want your mesh to be decreased by.
The settings can be mostly set to their defaults. We're creating a lower LOD object and it doesn't have to win a pageant. The slight differences won't be visible in the distance.
When you're happy with the result, convert the current state to a new object.(pic 2 -80% decreased & untriangulated) Check the UV maps. Sometimes the resulting Map is fine, sometimes you have to create a new one. If you have to create a new one, you don't have to do much, just make sure that the UV map is clean. The island's positions don't matter here. Export that mesh too.

You can add a base map for both objects and compare the result.(pic 3-high poly mesh)(pic 4 decimated version with same material applied)

Start Xnormal:
Load the exported Highpoly object into the high poly tab and do the same with the decimated version in the low poly tab.
If you have a map, such as a base map, then go to the high poly tab, select your object and load in the "base texture". This works for pretty much all kinds of maps. Diffuse, specular, roughness etc.
Just don't add AO, bump maps as they are going to be baked anyway.
Normal maps are the exclusion but for this example, you should only load the diffuse texture.

In the baking settings, set what types of maps you want to render and set the desired resolution, which should be smaller than the original of course.
Typically, The base texture, the normal map and height map, but you can add more types if you need them. You can also set the padding size for the soon to be generated maps, depending on your low poly object's UV layout.
For this example, I've left everything at default values. You can also choose a renderer like one of the GPU renderers which are quicker but don't support all types of maps. The default bucket renderer is fine. The textures won't be large and it won't take more than a few seconds.

Click on the generate button and let the thing do its job.
The maps might look weird, without structure. doesn't matter, it won't be visible in the end.(pic 5 base map for the low poly object)
After the maps have been rendered, go back to C4D and apply the newly created maps to a new material to the low poly object.(pic 6 - lowpoly with new maps-base/normal, very similar look to the original in pic 3)

Even though we didn't care about proper settings, the result is very close to the original and it won't be noticeable when the new LOD object is farther away from the camera.

If you're doing animation, then you can create a Xpresso script. It just has to toggle the visibility of the high/low poly objects depending on the camera distance to the objects. A simple boole switch setup could do the job.

This is one of many ways to create LOD objects. Doesn't cost extra money for a specific application and the whole thing can be done in 3 minutes.
If the object is more complex, you have to adjust the parameters to get a bit of a cleaner look. But start with the shitty settings first and see if the result's enough for your purpose.
« Last Edit: 2018-02-13, 06:14:13 by Eddoron »