Author Topic: Rendering a normal A3 image  (Read 11829 times)

2018-02-06, 21:22:50

3DRenders

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I have a normal scene, not too big - 4 million polys but it struggles to render on a A3....
My machine struggles to render any A3 image actually.

Is there a way to make it easier to render?

thank you

2018-02-06, 21:26:01
Reply #1

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
The struggle is usually memory. Every render pass in a multipass render will require more memory, and this grows more significant the larger the resolution. So, you can remove render passes, with particular attention to LightSelect passes, the less of those you can use and still have enough control in LightMix, the better. Denoising also needs more memory, again for every pass it is enabled on (such as LightSelect passes), so you could use "Save Data for Later" and Denoise in the CIE, this may help. Or you could turn off Denoising altogether and simply render for more passes, if memory remains a struggle.

You can then also render in strips, and recombine later in post to give the full final image.
Tom Grimes | chaos-corona.com
Product Manager | contact us

2018-02-06, 21:34:24
Reply #2

3DRenders

• Active Users
    • View Profile

You can then also render in strips, and recombine later in post to give the full final image.

Ok thanks Tom! Will that make a difference to do region render?
I thought beta 1 would render them better, but i'm stuck as i cant render these & dont want to send it to the renderfarm every time...

Will this improve in the future? I easily render A3 in Vray, so unsure why it wont work in Corona.

thanks for your quick response!

2018-02-06, 21:40:24
Reply #3

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
To be honest, not sure on the Region Render - would potentially be harder to reassemble in post as they may not be exact :)

On the Corona and V-Ray memory comparison, are there any multipasses in use for Corona, the LightMix ones in particular?

I do believe there are future memory optimizations planned, in the core, so that should apply to 3ds Max and then C4D - but the devs would need to say for sure.
Tom Grimes | chaos-corona.com
Product Manager | contact us

2018-02-06, 22:00:07
Reply #4

3DRenders

• Active Users
    • View Profile
To be honest, not sure on the Region Render - would potentially be harder to reassemble in post as they may not be exact :)

On the Corona and V-Ray memory comparison, are there any multipasses in use for Corona, the LightMix ones in particular?

I do believe there are future memory optimizations planned, in the core, so that should apply to 3ds Max and then C4D - but the devs would need to say for sure.

Ok so does lightmix make the render easier to render?

So, you can remove render passes, with particular attention to LightSelect passes, the less of those you can use and still have enough control in LightMix, the better. Denoising also needs more memory, again for every pass it is enabled on (such as LightSelect passes), so you could use "Save Data for Later" and Denoise in the CIE, this may help. Or you could turn off Denoising altogether and simply render for more passes, if memory remains a struggle

ok i've set up lightmix, but unsure if it will render easier...I dont understand why it will :)

You can then also render in strips, and recombine later in post to give the full final image
Thats what i thought you meant with region render....Unsure how to render strips otherwise...

2018-02-06, 23:59:11
Reply #5

Rhodesy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Adding lightmix will take more ram. Every pass in the multi pass consumes more ram and it's especially noticeable when you get to 8-10k with 10/12 multipass channels. It can easily account for an extra 10Gb. How much ram do you have and how big is your image in pixels?

2018-02-07, 00:52:38
Reply #6

Eddoron

• Active Users
  • Achieved Pedestrian
    • View Profile
Tiled camera to the rescue!

credit to burnin for finding this:

Quote from: burnin
You then stitch those in your favorite image editor app... or use the script with PS "Tile Camera Auto Restitcher script for Photoshop" (@ CGSociety)
« Last Edit: 2018-02-07, 01:12:58 by Eddoron »

2018-02-07, 05:28:16
Reply #7

3DRenders

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Adding lightmix will take more ram. Every pass in the multi pass consumes more ram and it's especially noticeable when you get to 8-10k with 10/12 multipass channels. It can easily account for an extra 10Gb. How much ram do you have and how big is your image in pixels?

Ok thx Rhodesy! but why will TomG say to use Lightmix? I'm confused.

Thank you Eddoron! Will have a look

2018-02-07, 05:55:18
Reply #8

3DRenders

• Active Users
    • View Profile

2018-02-07, 08:36:23
Reply #9

lenogre

• Active Users
    • View Profile
How many RAM ?
Corona stop when I have 15 millions of polys. Mac OS 10.11.6 - 16 Go RAM

You can optimize your scene : using instances (render instance active), using the new polygon reduction tool (very very good), increase angle of splines to get less polys, etc.

2018-02-07, 08:44:25
Reply #10

3DRenders

• Active Users
    • View Profile
How many RAM ?
Corona stop when I have 15 millions of polys. Mac OS 10.11.6 - 16 Go RAM

You can optimize your scene : using instances (render instance active), using the new polygon reduction tool (very very good), increase angle of splines to get less polys, etc.

56 Gig. Running on an 8core machine 2.1 CPU
Yep all my instances are render instances.

2018-02-07, 09:39:39
Reply #11

Rhodesy

• Active Users
    • View Profile

Ok thx Rhodesy! but why will TomG say to use Lightmix? I'm confused.

Thank you Eddoron! Will have a look

Just re-read the thread and he is saying to remove lightmix passes if you have them in the scene already. Cant see where he says to add them? 56GB Ram should be enough for a 4million poly scene there must be something else up but hard to diagnose. Does it just not render? What is your task manager saying?

2018-02-07, 09:49:26
Reply #12

fabio81

• Active Users
    • View Profile
It depends on how complex the scene but 8 cores are really few to be able to render an A3 (4960x3507), surely you will take many hours to reach a 4% noise level.

2018-02-07, 10:05:04
Reply #13

3DRenders

• Active Users
    • View Profile
ohhhh ok , now i see. Yes haven't had any in the beginning so i thought he meant i need to add them.. :D
Yes it renders, but incredibly slow....
What worries me is that this scene is small - My exterior scenes are massive with all the 3D foliage & that certainly wont render if this struggles :(

fabio81 - Yes, not complex at all. still trying to figure out what will be the best & quickest way to get any A3 rendered

2018-02-07, 10:10:24
Reply #14

burnin

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Ok, i think it's not part of Cinema 4D Prime...
Content Browser > Presets > Prime > Presets > Tools & Helpers > Tiled Camera
;)