Author Topic: Ambient Occlusion  (Read 6769 times)

2017-02-15, 20:44:18

mrittman

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • www.mattrittman.com
Anyone know how to add ambient occlusion to your renders with Corona for C4D? I tried adding it within the standard effects menu in the render settings, but apparently this isn't correct haha.

2017-02-15, 20:55:28
Reply #1

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
CoronaAO is in fact a shader. You can use it in a material if you like. If you want to have a complete AO pass, you enable Corona MultiPass (image attached on where to open the dialog, be sure to check "Enable Multipass" at the bottom of that dialog), then you add a Texmap render element so that you can drop the CoronaAO in there (image attached of that set up). This then gives you a separate render pass with just the AO, example result with Mastering CGI's shaderball also attached.

Hope this helps!

Tom Grimes | chaos-corona.com
Product Manager | contact us

2017-02-15, 21:02:21
Reply #2

mrittman

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • www.mattrittman.com
Wow, thanks so much for the quick reply! This is very helpful!

Matt

2017-02-15, 21:50:54
Reply #3

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
NP! Glad it helped :)

2017-02-15, 22:49:17
Reply #4

mrittman

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • www.mattrittman.com
Okay this is a silly question, but how can I see the AO combined with the beauty pass? I have to save them out as separate files and bring them into Photoshop every time?

I tried also dropping the AO into the diffuse channel of the material, but this changes the brightness of the material. I've tried changing blending modes and diffuse color as well, but it didn't help.

Can you help with where I am going wrong?

Thanks again!

2017-02-16, 14:53:19
Reply #5

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Yes, you would have to composite the AO with the Beauty in post (usually with a mode of multiply in Photoshop, Premiere, After Effects, Fusion, etc), you can't embed it into the beauty in any way. Does make for extra flexibility in terms of controlling the strength of the AO without having to re-render, by controlling how strong the mix is, or even adjusting things like contrast or exposure on the AO layer.

When applied to a material, it's usually used as a mask to blend between materials, so you can do things like add weathering / moss / wear-and-tear etc into nooks and crannies or where objects meet. Not sure I would recommend it for adding the fake shadows in a material as every material in the scene would need it. You could blend the default diffuse colour or texture with the AO, but then this final colour would be lit by the lighting in the scene, so that wouldn't necessarily give expected results - for the usual way of using AO as a fake shadow, combining AO and Beauty in post would be the way to go.

One thing to keep in mind, AO was originally all about adding fake shadows that simulated realistic lighting back when realistic lighting wasn't possible - Corona will give you that realism without AO, though it can remain useful as a way of "highlighting" or "picking out" geometry on an object by creating darker areas on edges or in corners. Since it is definitely an effect rather than realistic, it can only be created as a separate pass, and not embedded into the beauty (but I have found that to be an advantage with the extra control it gives, especially when doing animation which is time-consuming to re-render!)

2017-02-16, 15:47:55
Reply #6

mrittman

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • www.mattrittman.com
Yes, you would have to composite the AO with the Beauty in post (usually with a mode of multiply in Photoshop, Premiere, After Effects, Fusion, etc), you can't embed it into the beauty in any way. Does make for extra flexibility in terms of controlling the strength of the AO without having to re-render, by controlling how strong the mix is, or even adjusting things like contrast or exposure on the AO layer.

When applied to a material, it's usually used as a mask to blend between materials, so you can do things like add weathering / moss / wear-and-tear etc into nooks and crannies or where objects meet. Not sure I would recommend it for adding the fake shadows in a material as every material in the scene would need it. You could blend the default diffuse colour or texture with the AO, but then this final colour would be lit by the lighting in the scene, so that wouldn't necessarily give expected results - for the usual way of using AO as a fake shadow, combining AO and Beauty in post would be the way to go.

One thing to keep in mind, AO was originally all about adding fake shadows that simulated realistic lighting back when realistic lighting wasn't possible - Corona will give you that realism without AO, though it can remain useful as a way of "highlighting" or "picking out" geometry on an object by creating darker areas on edges or in corners. Since it is definitely an effect rather than realistic, it can only be created as a separate pass, and not embedded into the beauty (but I have found that to be an advantage with the extra control it gives, especially when doing animation which is time-consuming to re-render!)

This makes sense Tom. I really appreciate your quick response. I think I'm still used to working with C4D's Physical renderer, and it was almost necessary to enable AO each time to get those subtle shadows. I have noticed however, that Corona does seem to do a fine job without enabling AO. In R18, Maxon added Inverse AO to its renderer to be able to add extra detail to edges and things. It's nice to know we can use this same concept in Corona.

2017-02-16, 16:36:31
Reply #7

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
NP! Back in the past when freelancing I have a client that insisted on the AO, just to call out extra detail (it was a very specific kind of animation though so it made sense), so it still has its place even outside of the mask for layering materials.

2017-02-16, 19:16:18
Reply #8

mrittman

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • www.mattrittman.com
NP! Back in the past when freelancing I have a client that insisted on the AO, just to call out extra detail (it was a very specific kind of animation though so it made sense), so it still has its place even outside of the mask for layering materials.

Yeah for sure. It definitely helps when using Physical renderer. Really just depends on the look you're trying to achieve.

2018-09-21, 14:27:08
Reply #9

kraphik3d

• Active Users
    • View Profile
thanks this is very useful in Corona. I have previously used the hard way and deleted all textures then made AO shader and placed that into scene.
This is a time saver for comp. Cool!