Author Topic: Corona max materials?? and corona alpha??  (Read 3084 times)

2016-07-01, 22:14:21

TomiAjayi

• Active Users
    • View Profile

OK i have 2 Q's.

1: does corona work with ANY of max's built in materials, or do you have to convert them all?

2: what are the main improvments of the current version vs the alpha freeware!??

THANK!

2016-07-01, 22:51:19
Reply #1

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
It will work with several native shaders, though you won't get the same level of control as converting them to Corona Materials (and since that can be done with the included conversion script with the click of a button, no reason why not to do it!) With Corona as the selected renderer, the material list in Slate will show which are can't be rendered (quick grab attached)

Good grief on the list of improvements since the free alpha! Too long a list to mention :) The best summary would be to have a look at the road map at https://trello.com/b/EfPE4kPx/corona-road-map-3ds-max which shows from version 1.2 onward. Primarily, much faster, much more stable, much better handling of many lights, denoising, better scattering, better displacement, render regions in the VFB, and the list goes on, and on, and on....

You could also use, for now, the Speed page on the website, which compares the alpha to 1.0, while the road map above will take you from there to the changes of today (https://corona-renderer.com/features/speed/) - a page that will disappear at some point as it is rather out of date with where things are now.

And the YouTubes for each release

Tom Grimes | chaos-corona.com
Product Manager | contact us

2016-07-01, 22:56:00
Reply #2

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
The blog posts for each release also go into more detail than the videos, for instance this one about 1.4 alone is a long and extensive list!
https://corona-renderer.com/blog/corona-renderer-1-4-for-3ds-max-released/

Hope this helps!

Tom Grimes | chaos-corona.com
Product Manager | contact us

2016-07-02, 01:00:46
Reply #3

TomiAjayi

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thank you very much for the response! this is very helpful.
I will dive into this info as soon as I can.

My main reason for not converting is convenience.
I don't want to say i'm lazy. But I am a multi skill freelancer. I do 3d and 2d digital and traditional.
And many varied styles. Basically I don't have the time or energy to play with mastering a different material scheme everytime I want to try something new.

To put things into perspective,  I currently use Iray primarily ;)  ie, one click render and you're done.

I'm attracted to corona for my final more artful portfolio pieces due to its lighting. There is a certain "feel" i've never seen in any other render.

However, i'll have to switch back and forth for work reasons, and having a GLOBAL material that worked in all my renderers would be REAL nice.

The one that has my eye is the Arch/Design material, which works in 3dsmax on almost everything so far.. I'm just hoping it works in Corona.
If it doesn't maybe theres another?

At any rate i'll look through your info and see what's there
thanks again!