Author Topic: Texture baking prototype  (Read 14025 times)

2016-02-10, 15:34:16
Reply #15

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
Bugfixes and improvements
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2016-02-10, 15:41:50
Reply #16

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2016-02-10, 15:58:56
Reply #17

pokoy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Looks great, congrats!

I could imagine that overriding the background for certain types could be useful (for example, the background in the AO map could be white since black means occlusion).

2016-02-10, 16:42:23
Reply #18

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
I don't think that background override matters, unless one use 0 px edge bleeding and saves into jpeg with crappy compression.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2016-02-10, 16:52:04
Reply #19

pokoy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I don't think that background override matters, unless one use 0 px edge bleeding and saves into jpeg with crappy compression.
Not that it's super important but it could be useful when you need to clone stamp in PS. You know, small details that make life easier in the end.
I think it's generally useful to use the same black/white values that are used within the map/channel type. Same would apply to glossiness where black means 0 glossiness but a user would start with a white color if he'd paint the map.

2016-02-10, 18:13:19
Reply #20

Ludvik Koutny

• VIP
  • Active Users
  • Just another user
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
Background color is actually very important AFAIK. You often need to set it to some color that matches your average texture color. Many of the game engines use texture filtering that may blur edges of UVs quite far, and create significant outlines on the UV seams. There are professional Photoshop plugins that do advanced color gradient interpolation between individual UV islands, but two elementary things - background color and padding - should definitely work to make life of artists easier.

2016-02-10, 19:25:04
Reply #21

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Looks great, congrats!

I could imagine that overriding the background for certain types could be useful (for example, the background in the AO map could be white since black means occlusion).
done
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2016-02-10, 23:16:32
Reply #22

agentdark45

• Active Users
    • View Profile
YES! This could seriously speed up fly through animations.
Vray who?

2016-02-10, 23:50:01
Reply #23

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
I made it available in the latest daily build

2016-02-11, 09:27:35
Reply #24

pokoy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I'd like to come back to something I requested: is it possible to bake a material property value to a map? Let's say I'd like to have glossiness amount mapped to a grayscale map (for example by using mxs properties, reflectGlossiness) or whatever else would be reasonable here.

Why I'm asking for this: I'm currently going through a lot of high res model and creating mid and low poly versions. I would like to have one material (or as few as possible) with every material property mapped and this feature could help to bake everything into a single map while making sure I preserve the original look of th highres models. I think that this could be useful for game artists, too.

2016-02-11, 10:12:54
Reply #25

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
that is possible to add, but baking high-res geometry onto low-res one is currently not supported

2016-02-11, 11:17:03
Reply #26

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
My very first observations on Corona RTT. Those are probably very well known, but nevertheless...

• Output doesn't saves by specified path. User should save manually.
  • AO element lacks any controls, except radius.
  • Normal map is doesn't take shaded normals into account.

Overall i'm very exited about Corona's texture baking, can't wait for finished version!

2016-02-11, 13:37:12
Reply #27

arqrenderz

• Active Users
  • https://www.behance.net/Arqrenderz1
    • View Profile
    • arqrenderz
that is possible to add, but baking high-res geometry onto low-res one is currently not supported

http://www.handplane3d.com/ freeware

2016-02-11, 14:13:24
Reply #28

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Handplane is not a texture baker, and even if it would be, ith has nothing to do with Corona RTT.

2016-02-11, 16:14:37
Reply #29

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
I checked texture baking. I am not really familiar with the option - I've never used it in practice, but here are my notes:
-render stamp - it is usually unwanted - maybe it could be disabled by default when baking, or there should be a message about it like with DR
-color mapping - it affects the beauty pass, which is kind of obvious, but I am not sure if wanted - maybe also a message would help?
-gamma of the baked bitmaps - I had to override gamma to 1.0 when loading - maybe there is a clever way to save+load them with one click without the need to override?
-other material parameters such as reflection glossiness/ior etc - could it be saved as the maps used, or solid color? (I think this was already requested)
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us