Chaos Corona for Cinema 4D > [C4D] Daily Builds

OCIO and ACES workflows

(1/2) > >>

Börje:
I'm interested in implementing OCIO and/or ACES color workflow(s) in my work.

Up to now I had mainly used the linear output when rendering and converted the results into one of the standard RGB profiles, when rendering animations.
I wonder what an exemplary workflow would look like using C4D and Corona.

I mainly use Aftereffects (for motion graphics) and PS (for stills) on Win & Mac.

Are there already any experiences someone would/could share?

Philw:
I think its very early days for anyone (including me!) to have looked into this closely. Whereas Redshift etc has had true OCIO/ACES for a while and integration into the C4D document color management improvements from C4D 2023 onwards - Corona's ACES has been purely a tonemapping thing.

I definitely need to take some time when I get a break to see how the new Corona changes integrate.

maru:
We have released articles covering color management in general, in Corona for 3ds Max, and C4D, including what is currently supported and what isn't:
General - https://support.chaos.com/hc/en-us/articles/20474209561617-Color-Color-space-and-Color-Management-Basics
Max - https://support.chaos.com/hc/en-us/articles/22350780007697-Color-Management-in-Corona-for-3ds-Max
C4D - https://support.chaos.com/hc/en-us/articles/20685298933905-Color-Management-in-Corona-for-Cinema-4D

Stefan-L:
the info says cronona will render adobe wide RGB internally, but in fact we can change this internal color space  to acis in the experimental settings. does that make sense to use?

Nejc Kilar:

--- Quote from: Stefan-L on 2024-02-15, 10:18:19 ---the info says cronona will render adobe wide RGB internally, but in fact we can change this internal color space  to acis in the experimental settings. does that make sense to use?

--- End quote ---

From my understanding that wide RGB space will get converted to work with the OCIO settings you have set - so if your OCIO is set to ACES then the wide RGB space will get converted over to ACES. That said you will technically still be dealing with whatever colors are available in the wide RGB space itself, so it is more of a compatibility conversion.

If you set the internal color space to ACEScg then you'll, from my understanding at the moment, get the full ACES workflow (if your OCIO is set to ACES as well). So rendering in ACEScg and then converting via OCIO to sRGB / whatever so you can view it on your screen.

That said the internal ACEScg color space is still in the experimental settings because it is a bit... experimental. At the moment it doesn't work via TR (when sharing main C4D as TR client) and it doesn't work properly with batch rendering (render queue).

From my quick testing there is very little if any visual difference between the wide color space and ACEScg. That said if you need it for pipeline reasons... We are working on it :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version