Author Topic: dubcats secret little hideout  (Read 264162 times)

2016-10-10, 14:35:11

dubcat

• Active Users
  • ฅ^•ﻌ•^ฅ meow
    • View Profile
This will be my little hideout where I share crazy stuff and what not.

I will make a proper first post later.
             ___
    _] [__|OO|
   (____|___|     https://www.twitch.tv/dubca7 / https://soundcloud.com/dubca7 ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) choo choo

2016-10-10, 14:35:24
Reply #1

dubcat

• Active Users
  • ฅ^•ﻌ•^ฅ meow
    • View Profile
During the Corona 1.5 Daily Build phase I was pushing/testing hard to get all the proper Blending Modes into CoronaMix.
There are three main reason for this. I will be posting two new mini guides on two of the reasons in the near future.
The third reason is procedural masking.

I've been talking to Ondra about procedural maps/masks for a couple of weeks now.
My idea is to turn Corona into a crazy ass procedural beast.

Last night I put together a proof of concept inside the material editor. It's basically Quixels dDO inside max.
Right now I'm using baked maps for Curvature, AO, ObjectSpaceNormal and Gradient. Everything else is done inside the material editor.
I've posted Mantis requests for Curvature, ObjectSpaceNormal and Gradient maps. If we ever get these maps, we only have to swap them with the baked bitmaps, and there we go.
Crazy ass mask generator inside max!

Here are the input maps.

My proof of concept mask generator that behaves like Quixels dDO.

Out comes

___
    _] [__|OO|
   (____|___|     https://www.twitch.tv/dubca7 / https://soundcloud.com/dubca7 ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) choo choo

2016-10-10, 15:17:14
Reply #2

Dionysios.TS

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Evolvia Imaging

2016-10-10, 15:20:34
Reply #3

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
That's crazy. Nice, but crazy :] Wonder how big penalty in render time you'd get from such material setup compare it to baked maps?

Doesn't CoronaData map already has world object space normal map pass? Can't test it at the moment.

Anyway, i love procedural stuff. Insta subscribe!
« Last Edit: 2016-10-10, 22:02:24 by romullus »
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2016-10-10, 16:16:18
Reply #4

Ludvik Koutny

• VIP
  • Active Users
  • Just another user
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
Yep, I enjoy procedural shading too...

Aside from Romullus' question if there isn't already something you need in CoronaData map, the gradient map you mentioned, doesn't 3ds Max's gradient ramp already do that? I mean you can plug in source texture and map its luma range using that gradient.

What I am most missing for procedural shading inside 3ds Max is just a simple blur texture, that just simply blurs.

2016-10-10, 16:20:19
Reply #5

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Lol on the simple blur, I was looking for that last week but could find no way to do it (wanted to blur some procedural output), so yes, that would be a useful thing!
Tom Grimes | chaos-corona.com
Product Manager | contact us

2016-10-10, 17:25:18
Reply #6

karnak

• Primary Certified Instructor
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
I support this.
Consider that hero materials can be as complex as the one that dubcat posted, but for the rest of the materials I think just the curvature map can do wonders without too much penalization.
Corona Academy (May 2017)

2016-10-10, 19:20:38
Reply #7

dubcat

• Active Users
  • ฅ^•ﻌ•^ฅ meow
    • View Profile
One of the first things I did was to test all the CoronaData maps, the position map is not the kind we want.

Round Edge Map is almost a Curvature map. I use it as a filler curvature map every now and then, but it also masks crevices white.
I have reported this is my Curvature thread on Mantis.

The biggest problem right now is that all the default 3dsmax maps are calculating shit in linear and we need sRGB.
I'm adjusting all these maps afterwards with an Output map as a little hack.

These functions need to be added to CoronaOutput in Photoshop form. (Reported on Mantis)
- Invert
- Gamma
- Legacy Brightness
- Legacy Contrast

We also need to split the Curvature map into 7 parts, to get full control, and then blend them back with Overlay.
To do this we need Highpass filter (There are functions out there for real time) and Gaussian Blur.

I did a 32 pass test.
Big ass procedural tree = 06:45 min
1 compiled bitmap = 01:40 min

I hope all this stuff can be bundled into one optimized map. I've already offered to make a reference sheet on how all this fits together.
If Team Corona want to tackle this map, just text me on Skype.

I made this mock up (v0.1) last night when I made the proof of concept.
It might look overwhelming, but when you load the map, all the boxes should be closed.
So if you want to work on Curvature, you open the curvature section etc.
I forgot to add master opacity for each map.

___
    _] [__|OO|

2016-10-10, 20:50:52
Reply #8

steyin

• Active Users
  • BALLS
    • View Profile
    • Instagram Page
I used to think that procedural maps did not tile for some reason and instead went on in random generation forever. Kind of wish they behaved like that instead.

2016-10-10, 21:03:41
Reply #9

pokoy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I have to say I'm glad some people here fall into the mad professor category - in a good way, of course - I'm awestruck, looking forward to where this could get one day.

2016-10-10, 21:27:33
Reply #10

lacilaci

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Well if this is not something "in the works" now, it could be listed at least for now in "the most wanted features" poll...

Flexible procedural map even partialy substituting the likes of substance or quixel mask generators is a great added value.

2016-10-10, 21:56:50
Reply #11

karnak

• Primary Certified Instructor
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
How the shader graph would look like with this CoronaMaskBuilder compared to the image you posted at the beginning?
Corona Academy (May 2017)

2016-10-10, 22:03:34
Reply #12

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Doesn't CoronaData map already has world object space normal map pass?

One of the first things I did was to test all the CoronaData maps, the position map is not the kind we want.

I mean this:

2016-10-11, 23:15:56
Reply #13

dubcat

• Active Users
  • ฅ^•ﻌ•^ฅ meow
    • View Profile
I've remade the FuzzyShading map from Unreal 4.

It's using the default Unreal 4 settings, including falloffs.
There are 3 parameters you can adjust to taste. These are Core Darkness, Edge Brightness, Power.
You can either use it as in the example below, or you can make one material for the stone and one for the moss. And then blend them together with the fuzz mask.

Download link bellow.

I used one of the free Megascans assets to test the shader while I was building it.
I can't wait to try this shader on fabrics!

Here are some test renders, in case you don't know what all the fuzz is about. (I used the default settings).
Open the pictures in a new tab for maximum comparison satisfaction!

Normal Corona Shader

FuzzyShading Shader

Enjoy.

How the shader graph would look like with this CoronaMaskBuilder compared to the image you posted at the beginning?
The graph and the mock up is the same :)

I mean this
It looked kinda similar, but the hotspots and falloffs didn't quite match. If this is the correct map, it needs to be adjusted a little.
« Last Edit: 2016-10-13, 00:26:50 by dubcat »
             ___
    _] [__|OO|

2016-10-12, 09:57:36
Reply #14

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
I like how it kinda glows on grazing angles and in shaded areas, but transition from rock to moss doesn't look that good.

It looked kinda similar, but the hotspots and falloffs didn't quite match. If this is the correct map, it needs to be adjusted a little.

Not sure about that, but could it be due to difference in how normals are calculated in various apps? Sadly there isn't unified standart for normal shading.