Author Topic: 3ds Max 2015 features  (Read 23919 times)

2014-03-18, 19:11:50

racoonart

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • racoon-artworks
Sorry but I just had to post it here. I couldn't stop laughing :,-)

http://www.maxunderground.com/archives/20745_3ds_max_2015_features.html

(oh .. and the shitstorm has already begun :D )
Any sufficiently advanced bug is indistinguishable from a feature.

2014-03-18, 20:09:41
Reply #1

Ludvik Koutny

• VIP
  • Active Users
  • Just another user
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
Sorry but I just had to post it here. I couldn't stop laughing :,-)

http://www.maxunderground.com/archives/20745_3ds_max_2015_features.html

(oh .. and the shitstorm has already begun :D )

What's there to laugh at? I think it's really solid release. They finally focused on some of the bread & butter improvements rather than stretching their ambitions too far. You can finally use official scene manager instead of slow outliner script. Pflow nodes finally do not looks so crappy and confusing. Although MR is dead, the activeshade notification layer improvements benefit 3rd party renderers a lot. And mainly, Nitrous was already fast and solid in Max 2014, and now it got even faster!

2014-03-18, 20:24:07
Reply #2

racoonart

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • racoon-artworks
About the outliner replacement: I don't trust anything they say before I've tested it myself. They had a fucked up, unusable slate material/map browser in max for 2 versions, I wouldn't be surprised if this scene explorer thing is unusable too.
So what else...
- quadchamfer (I don't really have to say anything about it, do I?)
- haven't seen the pflow nodes anywhere yet, where can I have a look?
- Placement tool... jay
- Activeshade: didn't know 3rd party developers could benefit from that
- Python, point clouds - had these in max 2014 already, don't find python useful yet (maybe that has changed?)
- Nitrous got faster/fixed, fine, that was worth all the subscription money (?)

[edit] Oh and about stretching ambitions: They seem to have enough self-confidence to rise subscription prices.
« Last Edit: 2014-03-18, 20:40:48 by DeadClown »

2014-03-18, 20:58:40
Reply #3

kumodot

• Active Users
  • Corona ADDICTED and Evangelist
    • View Profile
    • Kumodot
  What's the Big problem with Slate ? I am using it since version one, and have no problems with that at all. Forgetting the lack of "Open doors", Slate is way more pleasant to use than Maya Hypershader (ux, and Ui). IMO, of course. Python is the CORE to improve all the 3D Tools relations and stop that pointless "3d Tools Wars". You can do whaterver you want on the best tool and Python is here to help that integration and make unique tools that works on Maya, Max, Houdini and other Python-powered tools. This benefits every other tool.
    Viewport is the BottleNeck, you can't spend Resources investing on new "Wow" tools if you don't have a Good feedback, ADesk is targeting on the logical point.

I am just waiting for Alembic. Nothing more. ;)

About the outliner replacement: I don't trust anything they say before I've tested it myself. They had a fucked up, unusable slate material/map browser in max for 2 versions, I wouldn't be surprised if this scene explorer thing is unusable too.
So what else...
- quadchamfer (I don't really have to say anything about it, do I?)
- haven't seen the pflow nodes anywhere yet, where can I have a look?
- Placement tool... jay
- Activeshade: didn't know 3rd party developers could benefit from that
- Python, point clouds - had these in max 2014 already, don't find python useful yet (maybe that has changed?)
- Nitrous got faster/fixed, fine, that was worth all the subscription money (?)

[edit] Oh and about stretching ambitions: They seem to have enough self-confidence to rise subscription prices.
« Last Edit: 2014-03-18, 21:11:32 by kumodot »
Your Portuguese is worse than my english.
--------------------------------------------
3DGeneralist/Vfx Supervisor

2014-03-18, 20:59:27
Reply #4

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
I am at the point of just hoping they dont break anything that could be blamed at me, like the extremely slow texture loading in 2014 :D.
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2014-03-18, 21:18:28
Reply #5

racoonart

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • racoon-artworks
  What's the Big problem with Slate. I am using it since version one, and have no problems with that at all.
Make 40k objects in max 2012 with 1(!) material and open the "new" material/map browser. I waited 20 minutes for it to just OPEN. Same thing done with the old material browser (which can be activated again by an ini setting) and it opens instantly.

Python is the CORE to improve all the 3D Tools relations and stop that pointless "3d Tools Wars". You can do whaterver you want on the best tool and Python is here to help that integration and make unique tools that works on Maya, Max, Houdini and other Python-powered tools. This benefits every other tool.
First of all, I doubt that python will help so much for that. Second, I don't want to use maya, houdini and whatnot and try to bring everything back to max. That's something for big studios with dozens of people. All of these tools cost a lot of money and a lot of experts to work with. Max is an allround DCC and it should be able to do all the basic tasks (not as good as all others combined of course, but still usable), no fucked-up curve editor, no fancy colorful UI nonsense, just tools to work with - and I don't see this happening at the moment. But Autodesk still wants me to pay like they did.

2014-03-18, 21:38:03
Reply #6

Ludvik Koutny

• VIP
  • Active Users
  • Just another user
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
Of course quadchamfer is a great improvement. I can finally have stuff done right without having to pay for 3rd party plugin. Why would that be bad? It's still 1000* better if they finally add it, instead of telling us "Why would we do that when there's plugin for that already?"

Pflow nodes... have not seen them either. But i believe anything can be better than current state of how pFlow looks.

Placement tool is just a nice addition. Again, it's good when software core is strong, instead of having to use slow third party scripts or plugins.

And Python and pointclouds. This is great as well, because it shows that these things are being iterated upon. The state few years ago when they would just throw it in and let it rot was terrible. Not they show that they keep improving it.

And yes, to me, Nitrous speed is worth the money. Any reduction of lag saves me a LOT of time.

Do not take me wrong, i am not against you. And especially, i am usually not defending Autodesk. But this time, it seems they got it right. A lot better than Max loaded with new state of art features, but unusable for following 6 months and with all those legacy old bugs still rotting inside of it. :)

2014-03-18, 22:00:36
Reply #7

racoonart

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • racoon-artworks
Do not take me wrong, i am not against you. And especially, i am usually not defending Autodesk. But this time, it seems they got it right.
No worries, I don't feel pissed or something :D. I actually enjoy discussing these things and I may get a little heated when I do, but I don't mean to attack someone either ;-)

Of course quadchamfer is a great improvement. I can finally have stuff done right without having to pay for 3rd party plugin. Why would that be bad? It's still 1000* better if they finally add it, instead of telling us "Why would we do that when there's plugin for that already?"
Placement tool is just a nice addition. Again, it's good when software core is strong, instead of having to use slow third party scripts or plugins.
Sure it's good to have it, but for me it's not worth the money - especially if I have paid for the plugin already (which I most likely did when I'm interested in that). It may have been a good addition in a subscription pack or something but not the actual "new release".

And yes, to me, Nitrous speed is worth the money. Any reduction of lag saves me a LOT of time.
for 665 bucks a year O_o ?! (euro price without taxes here in germany). Less than 2 years saving that money and I can buy a complete Modo.

Pflow nodes... have not seen them either. But i believe anything can be better than current state of how pFlow looks.
My problem with that: At least it worked. Now it may not work anymore. I don't trust Autodesk to actually not break something when they try to be "creative"

« Last Edit: 2014-03-18, 22:05:04 by DeadClown »

2014-03-18, 22:27:14
Reply #8

cecofuli

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • www.francescolegrenzi.com
It's very ridiculous version! O_O I'm shocked.  Maybe is the end if 3ds max?
One years of work for 5 enhancement and 3 new tools? Bah...

2014-03-18, 23:06:38
Reply #9

racoonart

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • racoon-artworks
It's very ridiculous version! O_O I'm shocked.  Maybe is the end if 3ds max?
One years of work for 5 enhancement and 3 new tools? Bah...

I think Max will stay on the market for a long time (unless all users suddenly stop paying for subscriptions and updates). There is absolutely no reason for Autodesk to kill max. It would be a lot more likely that they would kill maya. Max has way more licenses sold (factor 10) than maya and there are lots of people paying each year. So why should they kill it? They may stop develop useful stuff but they will ride that dead donkey until it's blown up into dust. Softimage was a different thing. There were relatively few users and still too much cost. Eliminating SI maximized their profit (even if some users do not switch to maya but to some other software package). They will also not kill Maya because they don't have a product which would attract those people (no, they wouldn't switch to max). So it will stay max & maya as long as people pay enough money each year.

2014-03-18, 23:46:06
Reply #10

Chakib

• Active Users
  • Corona Omnomnomer !
    • View Profile
I still can't believe the new viewport speed of max 2015 compared to max 2014 :D, is this true ?

for the rest, Maya 2015 new features impressed me more ( that sexy bifrost and texture deformer & opensubdiv... )
« Last Edit: 2014-03-18, 23:50:17 by Chakib »

2014-03-18, 23:55:51
Reply #11

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website

Make 40k objects in max 2012 with 1(!) material and open the "new" material/map browser. I waited 20 minutes for it to just OPEN. Same thing done with the old material browser (which can be activated again by an ini setting) and it opens instantly.

Hah, I didn't know this :- ) One thing that really pissed me off. Thanks, I'll implement it.

On other hand, I think it's staple that AD prices will keep being high with little features to compenstate for that. Seemingly it is like that. But, you ought to see AutoCad then... ;- )

I quite like what I see so far, placement tool seems gnarly ! That alone is pretty cool for me. Viewport improvement is always welcome. Yeah, it might be considered something that should be given, but realistically comparing viewport speeds of other CGI softs, are the other ones faster or even comparably fast ? Imho Max2014 is pretty great as it is.
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2014-03-19, 00:40:54
Reply #12

racoonart

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • racoon-artworks
Tadaaaa.... they updated their "What's new" pdf ;) Less pages now!
http://areadownloads.autodesk.com/oc/2015releases/Whats_New_in_Autodesk_3ds_Max_2015.pdf

And a pflow screenshot.
Apart from ugly colors I can't say what they have changed.

2014-03-19, 02:34:10
Reply #13

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Alright, just read Maya's .pdf. Now I see where people are coming off lol.

I like this comment from MaxUndeground (good discussion)

"Maybe that’s the problem – their userbase is so heavily skewed to other industries that – - no wait…if that were the case there would be pages and pages of new features for SOMEBODY". - See more at: http://www.maxunderground.com/archives/20745_3ds_max_2015_features.html#sthash.RMn6kInU.dpuf

I like to think that former too, that Max was dedicated to Design industry because AD did some math/statistics of its userbase (not being based around the "vocal user-base"). VFX/Media, is imho quite smaller than Design industry, which itself, is again, peanuts to construction industry (as illustrate by 9000+ variations of overpriced Cad/Revit renditions..). But even if that was the case, the progression is very, veeery small.

What actually happend to XBR project ? Is completely over ?
« Last Edit: 2014-03-19, 03:14:05 by Juraj_Talcik »
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2014-03-21, 16:34:05
Reply #14

steyin

• Active Users
  • BALLS
    • View Profile
    • Instagram Page
I can understand frustration from users who use MAX for animation, but really, as someone who does only ArchViz, MAX is fine as is. If they add/alter things that make my workflow/life easier or improve VP speed, etc, then great. If not, well I already manage fine. I just fail to see why those using it for animation keep complaining when Maya has always been superior for that over the last 10 years anyway, at least in my eyes. Maybe I'm ignorant or misinformed.

TBH, anything is better than the pile of crap 2013 was/is. I use it at my office and its slow, buggy and frustrating as hell to work with in a timely manner. 2014 at home has been peachy, so any improvements that actually work for 2015 will be nice.

Still, no matter how much they say it, I don't trust Autodesk to listen to their user base and understand why so many are jumping ship.