Author Topic: Anim Layers being generated when merging in MAX  (Read 1663 times)

2020-12-27, 04:01:03

danielhagene

• Active Users
    • View Profile
We have 5 folders linked to Connector, with categories of 3D models. An endless list on "anim layers" and keyframes (dope sheet) is generated whenever we merge a file from one specific folder.
It seems like some kind of "virus" has affected all the models in this folder. Prune Scene is able to remove the layers from the file, but the problem comes back if you merge or duplicate an object after.

Prune Scene doesnt detect any virus, and I don't understand how something could "infect" all of the files (thousands of MAX-files)....

Can't find anything on any forums about this, so maybe someone here has heard of this?

2020-12-27, 10:55:22
Reply #1

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Prune Scene is able to remove the layers from the file, but the problem comes back if you merge or duplicate an object after.

Just to clarify - you remove anim layers from the source file before merging, right? Otherwise your descriped situation makes perfect sense - anim layers lives in source file and are transfered to new file upon merging any object. If you don't clean the source, you will be infecting more and more files over time.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2020-12-27, 22:54:52
Reply #2

danielhagene

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Prune Scene is able to remove the layers from the file, but the problem comes back if you merge or duplicate an object after.

Just to clarify - you remove anim layers from the source file before merging, right? Otherwise your descriped situation makes perfect sense - anim layers lives in source file and are transfered to new file upon merging any object. If you don't clean the source, you will be infecting more and more files over time.

The files in question have never been opened, it's 7000+ files of furniture - cleaning one file removes the problem from that one file, but I dont see how they got "Infected" in the first place? I'd rather not have to do a clean on all the files if they just end up infected again.

2020-12-27, 23:42:07
Reply #3

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
If you won't clean source files, then you will always have this problem. Try to search for some tool that could batch clean max files - i'm pretty sure there must be something like this.

Scene files can't be infected outside of 3ds Max, most likely that happened on their creation.

Edit: i think Frood  has script that automatically and silently cleans every scene from anim layers on its opening. You can try to contact him and ask nicely if he could help you.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2020-12-28, 00:45:39
Reply #4

danielhagene

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Scene files can't be infected outside of 3ds Max, most likely that happened on their creation.

These are old files, untouched, unopened - so how come 90% of them generate these "anim layers"? Had it been a 3Ds Max bug then every file merged would cause an issue, but this isn't the case.

I'm not saying I wont clean the source files, but I'm not doing a "cleanse" on thousands of files before I  figure out what's causing this, and if it can happen again.