Author Topic: Scene Scale - Wierd Render Results  (Read 4228 times)

2016-08-09, 09:56:32

danielhagene

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hello :)

I'm working on an arch-viz project and I've recieved an SKP (sketchup file). The scene was scaled up in 3Ds MAX prior to me getting it, so everything is scaled "right" (1m is 1m basically).
But I get all these wierd things happen, like: I get a "snapping" motion when moving things, and viewport clipping is really messing things up (dragging the thingy up/down only makes it worse).

I can work around all that, but now it seems to affect my render - anything glass related renders wrong. For instance; I have a glass display with a piece of paper stuck between two glass objects.
When I rendered it in a normal scene it was all fine, but once in the viz-scene it gets cut or dissapears into the glass. I'm guessing it's the scene scale messing it up, seeing as it renders fine when I scale the object 2000% up - but it's too large of a scene to scale the entire thing without it crashing + I don't want to rescale everything I merge and re-calculate everything I make.

Any pro tips on fixing this?
« Last Edit: 2016-08-09, 10:38:32 by danielhagene »

2016-08-09, 11:00:00
Reply #1

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
What is system units of your scene? Does it matches with display units? Are objects of your scene has their transformations reset, i.e. their scale is 100 and not 0,01 or 10000?
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2016-08-09, 11:02:55
Reply #2

pokoy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Compare your system and display units, they should both be set to meters. If scene units are set to kilometers or millimeter then max will do what you're seeing.
Another cause might be that the content is very far from the origin, in this case, move the whole content to the origin.

2016-08-09, 12:39:26
Reply #3

danielhagene

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Compare your system and display units, they should both be set to meters. If scene units are set to kilometers or millimeter then max will do what you're seeing.
Another cause might be that the content is very far from the origin, in this case, move the whole content to the origin.

Display and system units are both set to meters. The scene is centered :S

Running "reset x-form" does nothing with the problem. (to the guy above)

It's like if the project is compromised in some way (scale-wise). When I open a fresh MAX and merge the glass objects, they render just fine. But when I merge the project into a fresh scene, and then the objects - they render wrong :S

2016-08-09, 12:55:26
Reply #4

pokoy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Ok... I seem to remember that in earlier versions Sketchup used to produce co-planar (doubled) faces which would then cause z-fighting in the viewport and introduce render probolems with refractive surfaces. Could you check this?

If this doesn't help, another thing to try would be to export some parts as obj, re-import and see if they behave better.

Other than that, I'm clueless.

2016-08-11, 19:52:16
Reply #5

3dm.matthews

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Behance Profile
Ah, SketchUp to Max, I love them both but hate them both!

Have you tried merging your current scene completely into a new Max scene? This can clean up corruption sometimes.

2016-08-12, 12:54:50
Reply #6

danielhagene

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I've tried all suggestions in the thread, none have helped. Atm I'm just working with/getting used to the problems - it's manageable....

Thx for the help!

2016-08-12, 13:24:39
Reply #7

Frood

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Rakete GmbH
Hmm one last idea: Have you looked at the pivots of the imported objects? At least when importing CAD data (e.g. Autocad blocks) even when they were moved to origin, the insertion point coordinates donĀ“t change and get the pivot coordinates in max (residing at the other side of the world causing such problems).

Good Luck

Never underestimate the power of a well placed level one spell.

2016-08-17, 14:23:41
Reply #8

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Any news on this issue? It's interesting.

My idea would be an experiment:

-Start a new scene, check if everything renders ok
-Merge the faulty scene into the new one, check if everything renders ok, or maybe only the new parts render wrong, or maybe everything renders wrong now?

Maybe that would cast some light here?
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us