Author Topic: Very slow render + velocity pass not working  (Read 4156 times)

2019-06-26, 05:51:14

3dkobi

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi guys,
So I made a scene with many screws + 1 HDRI light.
Gi solver is UHD cache, noise level set to 7%. The render is 1920*1080 pixels.
The problem is that each frame takes 2.5 hours on my machine (AMD threadtripper 1950X 16 cores\32 threads) - Does that sounds normal ? Maybe something wrong in my setup ??

and another thing - when I activate the velocity pass in order to make MB in post - the pass is completely black....

Peace,
Kobi

2019-06-26, 10:28:15
Reply #1

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
I quickly threw similar scene just to look what would be estimated time. As you can see from screenshot, i got pretty similar time, but... this is on i7 4771, at least 4 times slower machine than yours. On threadripper i would expect 10-12 minutes for this scene. Maybe there's something wrong with your setup or materials?
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2019-06-26, 10:55:46
Reply #2

3dkobi

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I quickly threw similar scene just to look what would be estimated time. As you can see from screenshot, i got pretty similar time, but... this is on i7 4771, at least 4 times slower machine than yours. On threadripper i would expect 10-12 minutes for this scene. Maybe there's something wrong with your setup or materials?

Strange - in your scene you have about 1.1 million rays, and your noise level after the 6th pass is 23%
I had 2.2 million rays, now after disabling the bump map on the screws it's up to 5.5 million rays, but I have 63% noise after 6 passes...
I'm using only HDRI as light, and when replacing it with different HDRI i have the same render times. If I don't use hdri and just light mat on the sky object I get 10% faster rendering
The material of the screws is just dark gray diffuse and a layer shader with 2 textures for the reflections

2019-06-26, 11:04:33
Reply #3

3dkobi

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Oh, another thing - my scene was pretty dark - yours is very bright - it takes much longer for noise to clean in dark places.
when my scene is more bright, and without the bump map on the screws I get estimated render time of 35 minuets per frame (it was 2.5 hours before)

2019-06-26, 11:21:54
Reply #4

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Bump always adds to render time, albeit 5 times sounds like way too much, but do you really need bump in this scene. I think glossy map should be enough, especially if it can save so much time. As for brightness, you can render the scene much brighter and change exposure afterwards. Again, if it helps to save time, then why not.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2019-06-26, 11:33:51
Reply #5

3dkobi

• Active Users
    • View Profile

2019-06-27, 14:37:48
Reply #6

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Velocity Pass is not yet working in Corona for C4D, known issue, sorry. You can reference internal ID 217716749 if you want to follow up on progress at any point.
Tom Grimes | chaos-corona.com
Product Manager | contact us

2019-06-28, 09:26:36
Reply #7

3dkobi

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Velocity Pass is not yet working in Corona for C4D, known issue, sorry. You can reference internal ID 217716749 if you want to follow up on progress at any point.

Hi TomG - Wow, this is a big issue...It's a very important pass, without it we can't make good MB in post...I think you should put it very high on the priority list.
About the internal reference, where can I view this ?

2019-07-08, 16:20:32
Reply #8

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
You can't view the internal tracking, but if you contact us about the issue, you can give that number so that we can pull up the information about it straight away. Thanks!
Tom Grimes | chaos-corona.com
Product Manager | contact us