Author Topic: Displace map in IR  (Read 2983 times)

2015-04-13, 11:49:12

Alessandro

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • DotLab Srl
Well, I remember I've red something about displace map and IR, but I'm not sure, so I'm posting this.
Perspective view, zoom on the top left of the wall hole, start IR. Than zoomed out and this is the result (attached), displace is working only on a part of the surface.
To solve, just stop and restart IR.
Done on Max 2015 with Apr 8 Corona build
My Ducati or a render with Corona.....mmm, hard question!

2015-04-13, 12:05:24
Reply #1

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
I believe this is expected as displacement is only calculated at the beginning of the rendering and also if it were to be updated more often, the IR view would be much less responsive. But Ondra should take a look at this just to make sure.
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2015-04-13, 13:51:22
Reply #2

Ludvik Koutny

• VIP
  • Active Users
  • Just another user
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
Yep, it would be impossible to tessellate displacement in realtime. So to refresh it, easiest thing is to move timeline to the different frame. That refreshes displacement. :) No need to restart.

2015-04-13, 15:14:07
Reply #3

Alessandro

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • DotLab Srl
Yes, I agree with you two, and thx for your support!

I suppose it's not easy for Ondra to understand if the changed view requires a displaced mesh refresh, and of course there are some more important things to work on in this time ;)

My Ducati or a render with Corona.....mmm, hard question!

2015-04-13, 18:49:48
Reply #4

Ludvik Koutny

• VIP
  • Active Users
  • Just another user
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
No, it's completely easy to understand. But it would be slow. In some scenes, displacement can take up to several seconds to tessellate even for very small preview resolution. So IR feedback would take for example 5 seconds between every refresh. You could not do anything fluidly.

2015-06-08, 17:03:48
Reply #5

Ludvik Koutny

• VIP
  • Active Users
  • Just another user
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
This is by design. Not optimal behavior, but not a bug either. We will be improving displacement with IR in the future.

For now, moving to resolved.