Author Topic: Reflection question  (Read 11760 times)

2015-09-04, 09:21:30
Reply #15

vossiewulf

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Can you share this model? Just a mesh without textures.

Attached. I just spent some more time with it in Corona and can't find a way around that faceting despite my success in MR. It facets everything, HDRI or no HDRI, including solid objects in the scene. I have no idea how Maru is getting the smooth reflections he's getting.

2015-09-04, 09:33:01
Reply #16

Nekrobul

• Primary Certified Instructor
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Hehe.

Yours geometry

My geometry

New geometry with Toorbosmooth

And the corrected file

I just aded a couple of connections on the bad looking edges

I will make a coupe more tests may be something more decent will come around

UPD _ updated file in attacment
« Last Edit: 2015-09-04, 10:02:51 by Nekrobul »
---------------------------------------------------------------
https://www.blackbellstudio.com/
https://www.behance.net/blackbell3d
CEO at "Blackbell Studio"

2015-09-04, 10:03:00
Reply #17

vossiewulf

• Active Users
    • View Profile
That was one of the original questions, whether Corona simply doesn't like low poly counts, I've always been sure I could tessellate or subdivide the mesh and get perfectly fine results. The question has been whether there's any way to get rid of the faceting on very low poly models without raising the poly count. And actually it's a hardly critical question, I'm just curious at this point and it's providing a good excuse to poke around with MR and Corona and learn something.

2015-09-04, 10:06:55
Reply #18

Nekrobul

• Primary Certified Instructor
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
That was one of the original questions, whether Corona simply doesn't like low poly counts, I've always been sure I could tessellate or subdivide the mesh and get perfectly fine results. The question has been whether there's any way to get rid of the faceting on very low poly models without raising the poly count. And actually it's a hardly critical question, I'm just curious at this point and it's providing a good excuse to poke around with MR and Corona and learn something.

It is not about corona. It is about 3ds max and smoothing groups.

« Last Edit: 2015-09-04, 10:14:24 by Nekrobul »
---------------------------------------------------------------
https://www.blackbellstudio.com/
https://www.behance.net/blackbell3d
CEO at "Blackbell Studio"

2015-09-04, 11:16:34
Reply #19

vossiewulf

• Active Users
    • View Profile
How can it not be about Corona when you see MR images above where this faceting artifact doesn't exist and there are smooth environment reflections all the way across the mesh with no changes to geometry or smoothing groups?

Looking at your file, you changed it to editable poly and broke it into separate objects. These game assets can't be either of those and the question at the beginning was can I get better results than this faceting WITHOUT changing anything about the model because if I did have to make changes, it would defeat the purpose, which was can I do nice renders of a bunch of game assets without doing surgery to each of them.

I can think of several ways to fix this problem if I'm willing to make changes to the geometry. Also, clearly it's an issue that's only going to be noticeable on a low-poly editable mesh, which makes it an edge case to begin with.

As I said, I'm mostly just curious to see if there's a way around that problem with no changes to the model just because I'm curious at this point and it's a good excuse to poke at Corona, trying to solve a problem is a good and quick way to play with everything and see how it works.

Anyway, Romullus and Maru, unless you're also curious about it, I don't think there's enough value to keep pursuing it - very few people are ever going to run into this issue. Corona is a high quality rendering engine for high quality models, not insanely low poly editable meshes designed for very old game engines.

2015-09-04, 11:38:06
Reply #20

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Ok... Sorry but I just can't imagine how this could work in any renderer.
Also, are you getting crashes when drag-and-dropping this file into viewport? Tried with max15 and 16.
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2015-09-04, 12:22:20
Reply #21

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Yes, converting to editable poly breaks normals immediately. That's no-go of course. Checked your file and it looks that MR treats those normals a lot better than Corona. Curious how Vray would stand?
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2015-09-05, 09:14:58
Reply #22

vossiewulf

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Ok... Sorry but I just can't imagine how this could work in any renderer.
Also, are you getting crashes when drag-and-dropping this file into viewport? Tried with max15 and 16.

I just tried it, no crash. I always work with a single maxed viewport, if that makes a difference.

And I did get a decent result in MR. Overall I like Corona's version much better, but I can probably fiddle with the MR scene and then import the asset meshes and switch out a single bitmap for each skin. But it did give me an opportunity to really fiddle around with Corona, and I like it. Strongly considering getting a license.

Yes, converting to editable poly breaks normals immediately. That's no-go of course. Checked your file and it looks that MR treats those normals a lot better than Corona. Curious how Vray would stand?

I don't know, don't have VRay :) Beginning to think Romullus is using this as a survey of current low-poly rendering capability ;-) Ok, what about iRay? Ok, maybe we should try it in Final Render. OK, but what does it look like in Octane? I did grab the Octane demo but the output limitation is so small and the images so obscured with watermarking that I'm not sure what the point is. Corona's demo method is the way for companies to go.