Author Topic: New VFB Skin and functionality  (Read 5158 times)

2024-02-14, 13:19:27

Dalton Watts

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hello guys,

Can you elaborate on what is being planned for the new VFB skin and functionality? Are we moving towards a more vray-ish VFB? I would love that! With VFB editing capabilities like Cryptomate masks along with shadow/highlight clipping warnings, and a more flexible and dynamic VFB regarding window sizes.

Thanks!

2024-02-14, 14:04:55
Reply #1

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
We can't elaborate yet, sorry. What I can say is there are no plans for cryptomatte masks inside the VFB, certainly not for 12 anyway. Beyond that, we have a long list, and we are aiming to see how far (very far, not far at all?)  we get through it, so we don't want to over or under state things by giving a set of plans for now. The main focus is on the UI rework, streamlining, better performance, and then we'll see what features make it in. This will be a "watch the daily builds" scenario by and large. Hope this helps!
Tom Grimes | chaos-corona.com
Product Manager | contact us

2024-02-14, 16:23:05
Reply #2

CharlyRT

• Active Users
    • View Profile
:(
I was really hoping that the new VFB could handle cryptomatte masks in Corona 12.
And what about render history? This tool really needs more presence, its practically unusable right now.
« Last Edit: 2024-02-14, 16:40:56 by RTstudio »

2024-02-14, 16:50:12
Reply #3

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
As mentioned, we're not giving a feature list just yet, and will mostly reveal what features are being included when they come out in a daily. This is to save under or over stating what will / will not be included.

2024-02-14, 18:43:00
Reply #4

CharlyRT

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Understood, thanks for answering, its really to soon to talk about it anyway, keep up the hard work

2024-02-15, 00:26:45
Reply #5

Tom

• Active Users
    • View Profile
:(
I was really hoping that the new VFB could handle cryptomatte masks in Corona 12.
And what about render history? This tool really needs more presence, its practically unusable right now.

100% agree with cryptomatte masks and a revamped render history.
Thanks for the update TomG,
All the best to you guys,

2024-02-15, 12:52:24
Reply #6

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
TY RTstudio and Tom! We will indeed keep on working hard, and we'll let you know as soon as we can on features to expect / hope for! Meantime ty for the feedback on what you are most looking forward to, or wanting to see.

2024-02-15, 14:53:16
Reply #7

Dalton Watts

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Yes, Cryptomatte masks would save us a lot of time. Although in Vray, and from my limited time testing it 2 days ago, I think there's a problem with color bleed not being taken into account.

This is what I would like to see in the new VFB:

- Cryptomatte masks (if this could work also for selective denoising, even better)
- Allow creation of folders in the main layer stack in VFB
- Add the ability to select and move multiple layers into a folder in VFB
- Post chromatic aberration in the VFB
- Highlight/Shadow clipping warning

But I agree with TomG. VFB performance and streamlining should be the priority, and then build upon that.

2024-02-15, 17:35:11
Reply #8

lupaz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
- Cryptomatte masks (if this could work also for selective denoising, even better)
- Allow creation of folders in the main layer stack in VFB
- Add the ability to select and move multiple layers into a folder in VFB
- Post chromatic aberration in the VFB
- Highlight/Shadow clipping warning

I like all these.

I just want to say that you guys did a really good job with the Corona Lister and I'm hoping to see more of that UI design in the new VFB.

2024-02-15, 20:25:05
Reply #9

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
I just want to say that you guys did a really good job with the Corona Lister and I'm hoping to see more of that UI design in the new VFB.

I hope the team will do much better job on the new VFB than they did on the lister. I think that tool is unfinished and lacks basic functionality. Not inviting to use at all.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2024-02-15, 20:32:21
Reply #10

arqrenderz

• Active Users
  • https://www.behance.net/Arqrenderz1
    • View Profile
    • arqrenderz
I agree with the half baked corona lister, the thing is not usable at all.

2024-02-16, 00:44:35
Reply #11

Tom

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I hope the team will do much better job on the new VFB than they did on the lister. I think that tool is unfinished and lacks basic functionality. Not inviting to use at all.

The lister is one of the best new recent features to me. I use it all the time to tweak my lights, I find it really convenient.
Not sure what lack of basic functionalities you're talking about, I find it very comprehensive.
It'd be even better if it could list non Corona ligths as well though.

2024-02-16, 09:56:53
Reply #12

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
I didn't touch the lister for a few months and i can't use Corona right now, but from what i remember there's plenty serious issues that makes this tool much less useful than it could/should be. Like the ridiculous items selection system, no option for editing multiple items at once and many others, which i don't recall, but they were reported/requested many times by many users here on the forum. It feels like half baked, barely functioning tool and i see no signs that the team is intended to finish the job in the immediate future.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2024-02-16, 22:14:49
Reply #13

shortcirkuit

• Active Users
    • View Profile
For me, this biggest time waster over the years is the UI (material editor) - i know its not a corona thing (or it could have an impact?) - however the material editor, becomes slow and sluggish, mainly in heavier scenes (not really that heavy, fairly detailed interior scenes.  2-3 seconds for things to open.... and i do have the most of the latest hardware/software.... again, not sure if this is solely a autodesk thing or a combination between autodesk and corona materials, however its just so sloowwww and it kills my patience... it sometimes feels like im using a intel pentium from the early 2000's..... its 2024, UI, all of them, should be zipppy and we shouldnt be held back by such nuances.

2024-02-18, 10:00:04
Reply #14

Tom

• Active Users
    • View Profile
For me, this biggest time waster over the years is the UI (material editor) - i know its not a corona thing (or it could have an impact?) - however the material editor, becomes slow and sluggish, mainly in heavier scenes (not really that heavy, fairly detailed interior scenes.  2-3 seconds for things to open.... and i do have the most of the latest hardware/software.... again, not sure if this is solely a autodesk thing or a combination between autodesk and corona materials, however its just so sloowwww and it kills my patience... it sometimes feels like im using a intel pentium from the early 2000's..... its 2024, UI, all of them, should be zipppy and we shouldnt be held back by such nuances.

I get that too: the material editor becomes really so slow sometimes, especially when IPR is running, up to the point that I have to stop the IPR, only then I'm able to tweak my materials in the SME, and only then I start the IPR again to see the results. This isn't how things should be: ideally I wouldn't have to stop the IPR in order to be able to tweak the materials, but if I don't the SME UI is just sooooo slow, it's unbearable.