Author Topic: Laptop crash interactive rendering  (Read 2566 times)

2021-06-26, 19:06:28

Mettigel Hawaii

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi,
my laptop keeps crashing a lot when I am using interactive rendering. It doesnt happen from the start, but after using cinema 4d for like 20-30mins setting up the render settings and material settings. I was confused since the different scenes were kinda small and my laptop is also only 1 year old.
I am using Cinema 4DR23 Corona 6 hotfix 1 on an Apex 15, Geforce RTX 2070, AMD Ryzen 9 3900 12threads, 32GB RAM
« Last Edit: 2021-06-26, 19:15:24 by Mettigel Hawaii »

2021-06-27, 15:31:44
Reply #1

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Do you mean the laptop crashes, or Cinema 4D crashes? If it's the laptop (ie it shuts down, or Windows blue screens), keep in mind that Corona can't crash like that and it would indicate something like overheating. If it's C4D that crashes, please send in the bugreport.txt, see https://help.c4d.corona-renderer.com/support/solutions/articles/12000033461-how-to-report-issues-c4d
Tom Grimes | chaos-corona.com
Product Manager | contact us

2021-06-27, 16:59:50
Reply #2

Mettigel Hawaii

• Active Users
    • View Profile
The laptop crashes. It just shows blackscreen then and I still hear that the laptop is on, but no screen shown. How can I fix this problem?

2021-06-27, 18:02:57
Reply #3

Cinemike

• Active Users
    • View Profile
It might as well be an issue with the summer temperatures.
Run Cinebench 23 in a loop, set execution time for an hour and see if the laptop "survives" full CPU load for that long.

2021-06-28, 14:47:18
Reply #4

Mettigel Hawaii

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I ran Cinebench 23. The short run which is 10 minutes worked well, the results you can see down below.
After that I ran the advanced benchmark and my Laptop shutdown 3minutes after starting it.
If it is the summer temperatures, what can I do? In about 3 weeks I gotta render my final pictures of my university project and like that it's really frustrating. (Side note: it's about 25 degress Celcius in my room)

2021-06-28, 15:35:42
Reply #5

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
- Render on another machine (ask friends and colleagues)
- Limit the number of threads Corona can use in the settings (slower renders but less demand on the CPU)
- Use a render farm
- Divide the rendering into small batches of frames so they can complete before the overheating occurs

2021-06-28, 15:53:38
Reply #6

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Consider buying cooling pad. Overheating isn't good for longevity of your laptop.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2021-06-28, 16:43:09
Reply #7

Mettigel Hawaii

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thank you for your feedback!

@romullus: I already have a cooling pad.

@TomG
I didn't get the point about CPU. I wsa thinking that Corona is using GPU to render.
How can I devide the rendering into batches?

2021-06-28, 17:33:09
Reply #8

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Corona is 100% CPU, no GPU at all in rendering. The only time the GPU is used is if you use NVIDIA AI Denoising.

For rendering in batches, you would just render frames 1 to 5 because that finishes in under the 20 mins that overheats it. Then you give it 5 mins to cool down, and tell it to render frames 6 to 11, and so on. (This would mean tediously having to change the frame range being rendered and hitting rendering again, after the 5 min cooling off period, but hey, better than overheating your machine :) )