Author Topic: Skin shader  (Read 35552 times)

2013-01-11, 19:19:03

Bigguns

• Active Users
    • View Profile
We need a skin shader, and a hair shader too :)

I'm doing character and I think if Corona have a good skin shader, let's say as good as Vray, then I will do some awesome realistic renders :D  I discovered Corona last week, and can't stop making render test!  So fast! wonderfull renderer and the workflow is perfect :S , simple, well integrated,etc.

Can't wait fo the next release :)

2013-01-11, 20:37:12
Reply #1

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
You mean subsurface scattering?
Brazil had a standard skin shader, it was pretty useless. I think it would be better to add a standard SSS shader and manually tweak it to mimic skin, wax, or whatever you like. It will be implemented for sure.
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2013-01-11, 23:21:06
Reply #2

Bigguns

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I would say both them.

Brazil had a crappy skin shader, don't take this one as a ref please haha. The one that Vray is, is quite good and you can do many things with it.

but, ideally, what we need is a standard SSS that we can multilayers as we want it, so we can customise it and a separate shader, called : Skin shader.

Why ? Because skin  is a very special kind of SSS, it's has not the same properties as let's say a toy with SSS on it... we need a shader dedicated to do skin SSS. I never ever have seen a realistc skin shader or render of a character beeing realistic in an unbiased renderer.. and that's why.. they all have a SSS.. but not a SKIN shader.. that's the point, it's different!

Fryrender had some cool SSS, but no one can mimic great skin as I can in Vray..never ever..

So that's why ideally we should have both shader :)  Otherwise nobody will render characters in Corona, and don't underestimate the importance of having a good SSS, MANY peoples I know, and or company, like let's say Blur, had switched for Vray because of this (of course not just because of this, but it was a big facotr) Ok I may use Corona for Archviz,etc, but I would really like to see what he can do with a true skin shader, I'm sure the result would be astonishing :)

So I cross my fingers and I hope to see a great skin shader, and a hair shader too in a close future :)

2013-01-12, 13:40:12
Reply #3

lacilaci

• Active Users
    • View Profile
It needs to be like this...(imho): standard SSS feature in coronaMtl and a separate SkinShader for skin... BUT definitely not like the one Vray has, Mental ray (like this one http://www.ir-ltd.net/mental-ray-skin-phenomena ) or Arnold  have better much better solutions! Some crazy BSSRDF skin shader at speeds corona would be.... fucking awesome!

2013-01-14, 23:00:53
Reply #4

tigre85

• Users
    • View Profile
Yes mental ray has so far better skin shader than vray, final render has a good and fast skin shader and again better than vray.

2013-01-14, 23:17:36
Reply #5

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
First I'll try something really simple... some guy at siggraph said in his course, that you can nowadays just use brute force for most SSS. So I'll do that to get a really simple implementation with superb quality and minimum setup requirements.
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2013-01-14, 23:42:50
Reply #6

Chakib

• Active Users
  • Corona Omnomnomer !
    • View Profile
First I'll try something really simple... some guy at siggraph said in his course, that you can nowadays just use brute force for most SSS. So I'll do that to get a really simple implementation with superb quality and minimum setup requirements.

Nice !!!
back to work? :D

2013-01-14, 23:52:05
Reply #7

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile

Nice !!!
back to work? :D

not yet, 3 more days, then some time to rest.
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2013-01-15, 00:22:48
Reply #8

airflow

• Active Users
  • 3D artist
    • View Profile
Bigguns, nice to see you in here. I am doing a project with my Gf as an elven warrior. Using translucency and blurry refractions for soft shadows with a layered specular via a composite material. Its nowhere near as good as Vray, but with tweaking I could get a mentalray level out of it.
Will post at the weekend. Busy with work atm.

2013-01-15, 09:49:39
Reply #9

lacilaci

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I guess I should slowly start to work on some kind of monster, for corona :D lol:D

2013-01-15, 09:54:20
Reply #10

Paul Jones

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Could you post some of your vray images and the vray skin shader ui?

2013-01-29, 18:25:02
Reply #11

Bigguns

• Active Users
    • View Profile
lacilaci : The old MR skin shader is a pure crap.. and the one in the thread of Lee, was an upgraded one, by a simple individual, was better then the original, but FAR away from Vray. If you say the one Vray has is not good, then you just don't understand how it work.. Arnold is a good one, but it has his own problem too.

tigre85 : I think you never tried the SSS2 in Vray, or just don't understand how it work.. it do not work the same way as the MR one! and it's WAY more simple then mr... and final render have one of the crappiest skin shader out there.. just after Brazil.. no wonder why we never see peoples rendering character in it lol. Look on Cgfeedback, dozen of great character rendered with Vray sss2... The nold MR skin is pure crap, the new sss2 is cool, but can't retani enought details in the SSS even if I boost the resolution of the ligmp like a crazy, past a point, there is not difference... just in the render time we see the diff lol so..

Now, in max2013 there is a new SSS2 skin shader,witch is MUCH better then the old one. The sss feel is very good.. but it still have one of the old problem, and it's a big one to me, the lightmap can't retain enought details when you render in small, let's say 800/600. while Vray retain like 90-95 % of all the details. So if I render in 2k with Vray or in 800 pixel, I get mostly the same result. But in Mr, you get a lot more details when you render at 2k and up.. in fact to compete with Vray in the details retention, you have to render at lest at 2500 pixels height to retain similar details as a 800/600 of Vray..and even Vray still have some more crispy details in the SSS.

airflow: Heay great, can't wait to see it :)

jonesthesteam : I did post in this post and image, to compare Vray and MR.

Here's an exemple, The new BETA MILA SSS ligtmap free (will be a hidden feature in max 2014 ) with 2 layers of MILA reflection compared to a Vray skin shader with 2 layers of reflection also. Vray has his weak point too,( like no control for the backscatter,etc but there is work around..) but still he retains  more details in the sss wich is crucial.

If you want more details about what make a good skin shader you can PM me :)

« Last Edit: 2013-01-29, 19:34:29 by Bigguns »

2013-01-31, 23:29:36
Reply #12

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
I'll just try to make it the arnold way after the next alpha (no fakes, maximum simplicity). I hope it will work ;).

2013-02-08, 17:54:40
Reply #13

Bigguns

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Wow great, I like the Arnold skin too, so let's see :) If we can customise it a la Arnold it will  be great for sure :P can't wait!!
« Last Edit: 2013-02-11, 17:00:11 by Bigguns »

2013-02-08, 21:55:23
Reply #14

Chakib

• Active Users
  • Corona Omnomnomer !
    • View Profile
Interesting thread, hope to see you next feature for this Ondra !

This my simple test of skin with some P.P... i'm sur with real sss thing will look much better.