Chaos Corona for 3ds Max > [Max] Feature Requests

Map / Material Select handled by User property

<< < (3/4) > >>

maru:
I am not convinced yet, sorry. It would be still too challenging for me to explain why it is needed.
How is right-clicking on an object > selecting properties from the quad menu > going to user-defined > changing some value by typing text more convenient than just opening the material editor?
How is having a single multi/sub material applied to multiple objects making things easier to manage than having different materials applied to multiple objects?
Lamp on/off example - this sounds like a perfect case for the Select Map / Material. I also did it like this in the past (you can even plug a Corona Color into the Select Map - black vs white). You can also already do it with User Property. For example, the same User Property could be switched between 0 and 1 to make the lamp emit light or not.

--- Quote from: LKEdesign on 2022-12-16, 09:44:08 ---In general I would like some changes to the SelectMaps / SelectMaterial.
It would be cool if it in the UI worked more than the MultiSubMaterial.
With this i mean, that you can see either the assigned material name or a designated label.

--- End quote ---
I don't get this part. Can you explain what changes you mean specifically?

Tanner:

--- Quote from: arqing on 2022-12-16, 18:23:58 ---You can do that with just a Controller.
I do it all the time for my HDRs or everything that has a SelectMap or SelectMaterial. With a single click I move from one to another.

If the images doesnt load.. check this link:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/11qnEFmcsClEC8Be2Yy5EcKWlWQB_yktU/view?usp=share_link

--- End quote ---

I use the controllers all of the time when I want one selection to influence another. This is a particularly useful, native tool that works when you have a material set up and you change the scale of say the diffuse map, the scale will also affect all the pertaining gloss, normal, height, etc. maps too. But yes, you can have linear/bezier float controllers control most options in Corona material/map nodes.

LKEdesign:
Guys, you miss the best part  - the flexibility in the scene of being able to use the same material hierarki  and being able to switch instances on / off or give a color value or something.

Example: 
A lamp with a bulb using lightmaterial / glass material in a selectmaterial  - each instance can be switched on and off, without going to the material editior and have two material versions - with the toential risk of having redundancy errors.

- or a monitor where you have 10 different content maps, where you can switch the content per monitor instance  - without having to go to the Material Editor. ( and yes, I know you could just amke a multisub with the individual screen content as a material  - but then again, you have to have redundant materials. )

These are just a few examples.

The red thread in this is to simplify hierkies and workflows  - and by making the Userproperty more versatile - (and not only on Select XX ) I believe you could have an easier life :)

Tanner:

--- Quote from: LKEdesign on 2023-01-19, 13:13:04 ---Example: 
A lamp with a bulb using lightmaterial / glass material in a selectmaterial  - each instance can be switched on and off, without going to the material editor and have two material versions - with the toential risk of having redundancy errors.

--- End quote ---

In fact I used to do this with controllers linked to a parameter I could turn off and on elsewhere in the scene (like the O.G. Light Lister tool that got discontinued - I'd turn the opacity map off and it would switch to a glass material instead of a black light mat). But instead of using a SelectMTL, you defer to nested (or not) Blend materials. You can link most features with bezier/linear float controllers and assign custom attributes to the objects in the scene. Most people just don't know about it because they have no interest in it.

The other one I've used in the past is selecting which HDRI is used in the scene at any given time by linking the SelectMap SELECTED controller to a generic light object that doesn't actually render. But changing the intensity value to 0.0, 1.0, 2.0, 3.0, etc. would change which sky is visible.

--- Quote from: LKEdesign on 2023-01-19, 13:13:04 ---- or a monitor where you have 10 different content maps, where you can switch the content per monitor instance  - without having to go to the Material Editor. ( and yes, I know you could just amke a multisub with the individual screen content as a material  - but then again, you have to have redundant materials. )

--- End quote ---

You could do this with one material, but plug the screen texture into a multimap and set the randomization to Object GBuffer ID. Then, when you duplicate your monitors (even as instances), you can assign each one a different ID under the properties window to control which image appears on the monitor. No need to for 10 materials, just 10 bitmaps plugged into 1 multimap into 1 material.

I think there is still a bit of background setting up in order to use this User Property much like linking controllers throughout a scene, but I like where your head it at. +1

maru:
So far nobody answered my questions from https://forum.corona-renderer.com/index.php?topic=38534.msg207848#msg207848 :)

--- Quote from: LKEdesign on 2023-01-19, 13:13:04 ---Guys, you miss the best part  - the flexibility in the scene of being able to use the same material hierarki  and being able to switch instances on / off or give a color value or something.

--- End quote ---
Again, these are just some vague terms like "flexibility". What flexibility? In what exact case? How is the new idea more flexible than the old one?
"give a color value or something" - that's not a very convincing argument :)

--- Quote ---A lamp with a bulb using lightmaterial / glass material in a selectmaterial  - each instance can be switched on and off, without going to the material editior and have two material versions - with the toential risk of having redundancy errors.

--- End quote ---
Again: "How is right-clicking on an object > selecting properties from the quad menu > going to user-defined > changing some value by typing text more convenient than just opening the material editor?"
(as I asked in https://forum.corona-renderer.com/index.php?topic=38534.msg207848#msg207848)
The other solutions posted by Tanner seem completely fine to me.

--- Quote ---- or a monitor where you have 10 different content maps, where you can switch the content per monitor instance  - without having to go to the Material Editor. ( and yes, I know you could just amke a multisub with the individual screen content as a material  - but then again, you have to have redundant materials. )

--- End quote ---
Once again, this was already mentioned at least twice, by me and Tanner: you can use one material with Corona Multimap in Object GBuffer ID mode for this. You only need 1 material in this case. You do not need to set up more materials. You only need to load multiple bitmaps into a Multimap, that's all.

--- Quote ---The red thread in this is to simplify hierkies and workflows  - and by making the Userproperty more versatile - (and not only on Select XX ) I believe you could have an easier life :)

--- End quote ---
And once again: how is using user property instead of other available tools such as multimap or select map more flexible/versatile? How exactly does it make one's life easier?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version