Author Topic: RAM issue when using Team Render  (Read 9529 times)

2018-10-26, 20:06:27

lollolo

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hello guys!

I work on MacOS 10.13.6 and C4D R20 and Corona DailyBuild Oct 15 2018. Another computer with windows 7 is for the rendering with Team Render.
-Started Team Render only on the pc so my Mac is free for other things.
-In the beginning C4D/Corona on my Mac used 6.7GB RAM.
-After I returned home and checked the finished render 36GB were in use and I got a warning
===== Warning(10004) =====
System is running low on RAM. You may experience excessive parsing times and/or crashes. You will probably have to simplify the scene.

22.1 GiB of physical RAM used by Cinema 4D
29.1 GiB of virtualized* RAM used by Cinema 4D
33 GiB of virtualized* RAM used by all running applications
32 GiB of physical RAM installed on system
33 GiB of virtualized* RAM provided by OS

* virtualized RAM means physical RAM + swap file on HDD/SSD

Corona RAM usage breakdown:
  229.4 MiB beauty/multi-pass

Team Render was deactivated on the Mac, the only task was to show the image with the picture-viewer. I had the same issue now several times.

Some other things I have seen:
-Crash while exporting corona proxy when the object has more than one uv tag

-Corona proxy is not working with Team Render.

-Mograph multi-instance is not working.

-Layer-Node get lost after restart of the application.

Thanks for your work!

2018-10-29, 09:43:51
Reply #1

houska

• Former Corona Team Member
  • Active Users
  • Cestmir Houska
    • View Profile
Hello loliolg and welcome to the forums!

Thank you for your detailed report. So if I understand it correctly, your Mac computer had C4D open with your scene and you initiated the render from there, while your Windows computer was serving as a team render node? And you kept C4D open on your Mac and after several hours, the C4D application ate all your available RAM because of Corona? If that's the case, we'll need to investigate this issue of course.

Right now, I can only guess that there's either some sort of memory leakage somewhere or that the image viewer eats up all the ram while keeping the rendered images in memory (are you rendering an animation?).

About the Corona proxy issues: there's several things with it that we'll want to fix until the final release, so some issues are to be expected. Have you looked at this forum thread?
https://forum.corona-renderer.com/index.php?topic=14450
Maybe it could help you solve your problem with proxy in Team Render?

I'm not aware of any crashes while exporting a Corona proxy. It would be great if you could make a separate bug report here on the forums for that (thank you!)

The other bugs that you mention are already reported and known. In short - multiinstances are something new that R20 added and we'll need to write some code to support them, but it's planned. The node issues are also known and we're currently working on them.

2018-10-29, 10:08:06
Reply #2

houska

• Active Users
  • Cestmir Houska
    • View Profile
One more remark regarding the node issues. Nik just told me that if you create a node material with layer shader in RC4 and save it, everything should be fine after loading. But if you save your scene in an older version and open the scene in RC4, there could be some issues. This is even mentioned in the RC4 changelog.

If the issue is happening completely in RC4 though, we'd love to have a separate bug report again. Thank you!

2018-10-29, 12:54:35
Reply #3

lollolo

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Yes, you are right. That's the problem I have. It is increasing with the time, I can see it when I render high resolution images or an animation. Single frames which render only a few minutes are not problematic.
The example was a scene with many tree clones inside, rendered as a 4k image.

Also the cpu on my Mac is more active than when I use the native c4d render engine. I had some strange cases but I could't reproduce them yet.
I will make a post here when I know more.

Yes, I already know that thread.

2018-12-07, 09:25:08
Reply #4

HFPatzi

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi!

I experience almost the same issues with RAM usage in Teamrender. Except my RAM usage while rendering a high resolution still image with teamrender is almost instant at max. While rendering the same scene on my workstation only just uses around 3 to 4GB of RAM (see attached screenshots). Also nearly all my teamrender-clients crash while teamrendering this project. Unfortunatly without creating a bug report. The Teamrender client just quits.

I'm using the latest Corona Daily Build:

Full-speed non-debug version
Build timestamp: Oct 31 2018 17:15:05
Version: B2 (core 3)
Cinema version: CINEMA 4D Studio R18.057 S
Plugin status: initialized successfully

I have set a small render region in the cinema 4D render settings and set corona to render viewport selection only, singe i only needed this part of the image.

I'm sorry for not uploading the scene file because of nda. If you need any further informations, i'm happy to answer your questions.

Thanks for your Support!

Greetings from Germany,
Moritz

2018-12-16, 22:40:16
Reply #5

jojorender

• Active Users
    • View Profile
MacOs 10.13.6 / Build timestamp: Oct 31 2018 17:24:08 / Version: B2 (core 3) / CINEMA 4D Studio R18.057

Hi,
I have the same ram issue as OP.
This happens every time when team rendering. The ram usage creeps up over time until it reaches, in this case 149GB!!, and C4D becomes unresponsive. (See screenshots)
I have about 650GB available space on my boot drive, but the swap file size must have a “hard” limit.
Not sure what role Apple’s mysterious “kernel_task” plays in all this.

No multi-passes used (I always render multi-passes separately)
Just 1 render client used, on 1 Gb LAN
2 identical machines with 64GB ram
No other major process running.
Around the same time the “low mem” warning pops up, the client always disconnects “greenlights” in machine list.  Uncheck/check brings the client back online and renders for a bit, till it disconnects again…

Could this be some kind of memory leak in Team Render? I was able to save a CXR before C4D crashed, rebooted, “Resume from file” and continued rendering the image.
The render finished at the set 3% noise level  while only using around 27GB of ram the whole time.
“Resume from file” renders only on the main machine, a “Team Render from file” option would be great, once Team Render becomes really “useable”.

For me, the growing ram issue happens with every scene I teamrender, but depending on image size the render might just finish before c4d crashes. 3000x2000 is on the safe side, but 4500x3000 is pushing it.

I’m currently in a bit of a deadline crunch, but I can prepare a scene w/ assets once I have some time, if that helps. I assume I need to strip out all plugins like Laubwerk etc before sending.

Maybe, if the C-Team creates a sticky post with a sample scene that users can download to test TR, with instructions of what you need to see, might even give you a better insight into what’s happening.

Nevertheless, it’s time to say Thank You! for all the wonderful work you guys did so far with corona.
Hope that these team render issues can be ironed out before final release.

All my best.
Frank
« Last Edit: 2018-12-16, 23:08:45 by jojorender »

2018-12-18, 10:18:22
Reply #6

lollolo

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I rendered a new scene yesterday. I rendered again only on my render client and not on my main computer.
My render client used 28GB RAM while my computer (which didn't render) used around 60GB RAM (42GB C4D + 18GB kernel_task).

I hope you have any news soon!

2019-01-06, 22:21:38
Reply #7

lollolo

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Do you have any news here? Can it be fixed in the near future?

It is quite hard to render high-res images with this bug. I had just another crash today morning. In this case 125GB RAM for C4D. Just too much for my iMac and C4D became unresponsive.

2019-01-07, 10:30:24
Reply #8

houska

• Active Users
  • Cestmir Houska
    • View Profile
Hi loliolg

We fixed some issues with the proxy, which will appear in the next release. We also tweaked a few parameters of the Team Render, but it will still need some love from us. Don't worry, we'll have a look at it soon.

2019-01-07, 13:54:55
Reply #9

houska

• Active Users
  • Cestmir Houska
    • View Profile
-Crash while exporting corona proxy when the object has more than one uv tag

loliolg, do you mean this issue?
https://forum.corona-renderer.com/index.php?topic=22212

That should be fixed already. I tried it just now and it doesn't crash for me. If you find a crashing situtation, we'd be happy to have the crashign object so that we could fix the crash for everyone. You can even use our private uploader so that the object is kept private.

Thanks!

2019-01-07, 14:45:40
Reply #10

houska

• Active Users
  • Cestmir Houska
    • View Profile

Do you have a scene or steps that would help us reproduce the issue? I created a simple scene, added a Corona Proxy object and it renders fine over TR both locally and on a remote render client.

2019-01-07, 15:11:26
Reply #11

lollolo

• Active Users
    • View Profile

Do you have a scene or steps that would help us reproduce the issue? I created a simple scene, added a Corona Proxy object and it renders fine over TR both locally and on a remote render client.

I'm rendering another scene right now. But I will test it tomorrow and give you a feedback.
The main issue for me is just the thing with the RAM. Thats my favorite issue do be fixed. ;)

2019-01-07, 15:58:51
Reply #12

houska

• Active Users
  • Cestmir Houska
    • View Profile
I'm rendering another scene right now. But I will test it tomorrow and give you a feedback.
The main issue for me is just the thing with the RAM. Thats my favorite issue do be fixed. ;)

Thanks and we of course understand that this issue is very unpleasant. We're already busy investigating it and will fix it in one of the upcoming daily builds!

2019-01-08, 19:45:36
Reply #13

lollolo

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I wanted to test the problem I had with the Proxy. For that I updated to Corona 3 final and activated a demo license.
But now TeamRender isn't working anymore. (With the native render engine is everything working)
I got thousands of "[Corona4D]
Aborting synchronization: dumpExr failed" on my render client and I had to quit it with the task-manager. 

What could be the reason for that?

2019-01-08, 19:49:00
Reply #14

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Did you run the Corona Licensing Server? It will need to be running in order to hand out authorizations to the Client machines.
Tom Grimes | chaos-corona.com
Product Manager | contact us