General Category > Porting and API

Corona for Sketchup Discussion

(1/3) > >>

The Pixel Artist:
Hi all!

I've mentioned to KM that I'm interested in helping to develop a "Corona for Sketchup".  I am not much of a programmer myself, so I'm looking to find someone with the right programming skillset to help me make this happen.

I was hoping to start a discussion in these regards to see if anyone was interested in helping and also to hear some general opinions/wishes for it's development.

Thanks,
TPA

cosbu:
Corona for SU is a dream I hope to come true someday!

spadestick:
I totally support this.... look how successful Sketchup podium has become with a huge market share.... they have the the same philosophy as Corona minus the extremely high quality output... which is simplicity and speed. a typical simple render takes around 10 to 45mins depending on model complexity.

Indigo Render is also another to learn from, unfortunately it is 100% unbiased which means it can take more than 24 hrs to push something out.

the simplicity of both SU podium and indigo focuses on 1 click to setup environment settings, 1 click for material palette with emissive shaders, 1 click for ies lights, and 1 click for instancing and scattering. the second click is the render button.

I hope corona renderer will consider the market viability of developing an in app solution for sketchup. i know I will pay vray price for it.... I hate the useless over complication of vray. I am a visual artist by trade not a technical programming guru.

Here is a render I did with Sketchup Podium approximate 20mins to render, another 20mins to post process with photoshop, but as you can see it isn't very good, imagine how much better it could be with Corona Renderer.

spadestick:
tell me there there isn't a large active user market, I will prove you wrong... this link below says this :

"There have been more than 30 million unique activations of SketchUp in the last year, with more than 2.5M of them active on a weekly basis. Every second SketchUp is launched by 30 people around the world."

https://extensions.sketchup.com/developer

I am not sure which year they are referring to in terms of user adoption, but I believe like Apple, things work exponentially, because the entry price point into the market and learning curve isn't as high as 3d studio max or Maya, all of which are owned by the beast of a corporation with complexity in mind.

the only thing why your poll is skewed is because you are posting your poll primarily on your website which only caters to a very specific interest group that has had prior knowledge of 3D rendering engines. Try this on a forum like www.sketchucation.com and see the response you will get - and yet Sketchucation is only a small segment of the overall Sketchup market catering to the more advanced users, which can become your best evangelists. As of now, there are about 350,000 members in sketchucation alone.

I sincerely hope you do seriously consider Sketchup as a potential source of development for Corona.

Ondra:
30M is nice number, but... how many of them are paying for the software? How many of them would appreciate Corona, and would be willing to pay for it? We talked a lot with a lot of people about a lot of different software, and yes, outside of 3ds max/maya/cinema, what we usually heard was "nobody appreciates photorealistic rendering enough to pay for it". This is also a factor we need to deal with. There are a lot of great people we would like to hire, but they are not cheap.

But I am not saying that sketchup plugin is not being developed... errr - i meant "I am not saying it will not be developed" ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version