Author Topic: Which 3ds max version are you using? (trying to understand best max version..)  (Read 8922 times)

2019-12-20, 12:17:52

gabyanz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hello to everyone.
I don't write often to this forum, I am a silent reader...

But I am struggling. I moved to win 7 to win 10 , and a new PC.
Very happy with the new pc... but not with win 10... (oh well, I can deal with it, at least).

I was using max 2016... but i found that max 2016 is not very stable with win10 (I noticed unexpected chashed without even the save option).
I moved to max 2018... and I'm hating it. Less fluid, I really don't undested why they have to change ALL the icons every new version (...) .. It is slower, it behaves strangely when I have to select something, move, copy...

The question is ... What max version do you use... and why? Perhaps there is a "pack" that makes max2016 more stable (i've read that it is not supported officially in win10)?

Should I move to max 2019? I read here and where that every maxversion I worse than the previous one..

thanks a lot in advance
Gabriella

2019-12-20, 14:58:52
Reply #1

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Hi,
I use windows 10 and max 2016 combo and i have no stability issues with that. I might not like max 2016 as much as i did like max 2014, but it's not crashing without reason... usually :]
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2019-12-20, 15:38:51
Reply #2

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
I am on Windows 10/ Max 2016 combo for so long... it's incredibly stable. Only crashes I ever got were Corona related in 90perc.

But it's long in tooth and I miss proper HighDPI scaling.. I debate every year if I should move on.
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2019-12-20, 17:15:31
Reply #3

lupaz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Also Win 10 / 3DS Max 2016.
But shortly moving to Max 2020.

2019-12-20, 18:22:53
Reply #4

pokoy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I moved to 2020 a few months ago after years on 2016 and a few months on 2018. Some thoughts:
- UI is slower in some places, but the command panel has been sped up for UI redraw and especially subobject switching, so better than 2017/2018/2019. Still not as snappy as old versions probably. There's an issue with a few UI elements since 2017 where you need to click on the dialog first so it registers clicks at all, annoying sometimes but one can get used to it.
- OSL is definitely a good thing to have. Not using it much as of now but planning to use it more
- Chamfer modifier has been improved - as the whole world knows by now :D - but it's really a huge timesaver and in 2020 it has seen some good improvements
- 2020 seems to be pretty stable, similar to 2016 or better, no crashes other than bugs from daily builds and such
- you'll love the viewport speed if you have used 2016 before, it's *much* better, this alone is a good reason to switch
- if you need fluids sometimes, they're in now
- customizing shortcuts has been made much easier with a new dialog but prepare for a surprise on your first launch, some defaults have changed

I wouldn't want to go back to 2016 anymore.

2019-12-20, 19:07:34
Reply #5

clemens_at

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I moved to 2020 a few months ago after years on 2016 and a few months on 2018. Some thoughts:
- UI is slower in some places, but the command panel has been sped up for UI redraw and especially subobject switching, so better than 2017/2018/2019. Still not as snappy as old versions probably. There's an issue with a few UI elements since 2017 where you need to click on the dialog first so it registers clicks at all, annoying sometimes but one can get used to it.
- OSL is definitely a good thing to have. Not using it much as of now but planning to use it more
- Chamfer modifier has been improved - as the whole world knows by now :D - but it's really a huge timesaver and in 2020 it has seen some good improvements
- 2020 seems to be pretty stable, similar to 2016 or better, no crashes other than bugs from daily builds and such
- you'll love the viewport speed if you have used 2016 before, it's *much* better, this alone is a good reason to switch
- customizing shortcuts has been made much easier with a new dialog but prepare for a surprise on your first launch, some defaults have changed

I agree with all of the above but you missed floating viewports!
definitely a feature worth mentioning!

2019-12-20, 20:03:36
Reply #6

lupaz

• Active Users
    • View Profile

Thanks for this Pokoy

2019-12-20, 22:07:56
Reply #7

pokoy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
True, totally forgot about the floating viewports. Another thing I need to get used to I guess, and a really useful one.

I remember two instances where Max 2016 would freeze - tabbing through the resolution input fields and tabbing through a render elements file name field. I'm really glad these don't happen anymore, I lost some valuable work and time more than once because of that.

One thing I can't get to work though with 2020 is that Backburner doesn't remember its submit settings, be aware that you need to switch on overrides if you ever need them. Need to figure out a way to solve this.

2019-12-21, 11:07:56
Reply #8

gabyanz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I am on Windows 10/ Max 2016 combo for so long... it's incredibly stable. Only crashes I ever got were Corona related in 90perc.

But it's long in tooth and I miss proper HighDPI scaling.. I debate every year if I should move on.

Uhm.. what is the latter service pack in max 2016? Perhaps i'm missing something-...
Max 2016 in win10 was working so well in speed... but I experimented some "strange" closure of the program ... not a proper creach, becaes there wasn't even a chrash window warning... The probgram simply ..closes...

I'm hating max 2018... perhapts i should try max 2019 or max 2020...

2019-12-21, 11:10:41
Reply #9

gabyanz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
True, totally forgot about the floating viewports. Another thing I need to get used to I guess, and a really useful one.

I remember two instances where Max 2016 would freeze - tabbing through the resolution input fields and tabbing through a render elements file name field. I'm really glad these don't happen anymore, I lost some valuable work and time more than once because of that.

One thing I can't get to work though with 2020 is that Backburner doesn't remember its submit settings, be aware that you need to switch on overrides if you ever need them. Need to figure out a way to solve this.

Thank you. I'll probably try to switch to 2020...  It is a pain every time ... all the plugins, scripts... really hope that it is faster than 2018!!

2019-12-21, 20:10:15
Reply #10

sebastian___

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I really don't undested why they have to change ALL the icons every new version (...) ..

You can change even the latest 3ds max versions - to have the old icons if you want.

2019-12-26, 05:00:12
Reply #11

renderfarm222

2019-12-31, 08:54:00
Reply #12

gandhics

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I can not even imagine using pre-2017 just for viewport speed.
Stability has been main focus since 2017.
There has been more than probably 1000+ fixes since 2017 to 2020.

2020-01-09, 17:34:50
Reply #13

steyin

• Active Users
  • BALLS
    • View Profile
    • Instagram Page
2014 is still the most stable to me, but I currently use 2017.

2016 crashed too frequently and had many bugs so I went back to 2014. Then updated to 2017 and have stayed with that as it has been pretty stable. Tried 2018 and it feels very sluggish compared to 2017. Haven't bothered with anything else, but might try 2020 now...

2020-01-28, 04:10:55
Reply #14

JoeVallard

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Joe Vallard
I've been using 2020 for the last couple months. The improvements made the Chamfer modifier in 2020.2 and 2020.3 are really. Be able to control the size of chamfers in one modifier was need a long time ago. And the Inset edge flow is really nice at cleaning messy geometry up.

Unfortunately they've decided that "Show Materials/Maps in Viewport" is now on by default. So every time you make a material/map its show in viewport is checked on. Yep if you have composite nodes with color corrections and what not, every single node will have the red background to show in viewport. Loading anything in the Environment slot will also cause every viewport to display the map as well.

Having all these maps and materials set to show hurts my scenes load times. In talks with support about the issue, they made a script to turn off some things with just a click, but a lot of things still remain on and its something you would need to click from time to time. Hopefully they add an off/on in the preferences to set because I am actually thinking about jumping back versions because of this change.