Author Topic: tile map on decals?  (Read 727 times)

2024-03-20, 16:24:57

Jens

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Ikonoform
Hi

Would love a feature on a decal equal to when I apply a UVW Xform modifier to an object. Or just a simple "tile" button.

Now I have to do it per map in the material editor and it doesn't always behave nicely + is cumbersome :)
My small 3D model shop: www.ikonoform.com/shop
My arch viz blog: www.ikonoform.com/blog

2024-03-20, 16:48:13
Reply #1

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
I think tiling is already implemented via real-world scale mapping support.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2024-03-21, 18:07:43
Reply #2

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Can you explain why exactly you would like that feature? What tileable thing are you using decals for?
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2024-03-21, 18:23:50
Reply #3

Aram Avetisyan

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Probably a use case will be to change the UVW Xform/tiling for many decals with one modifier? This can be done by instancing the decals (knowing/planning before), or wiring parameters, which is indeed cumbersome.

I think UVW Xform modifier support for decals is a good idea.
Aram Avetisyan | chaos-corona.com
Chaos Corona Support Representative | contact us

2024-04-10, 15:32:13
Reply #4

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
@Jens - if you could provide a use case here, that would be great. :)
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2024-04-10, 17:30:24
Reply #5

jasond

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Tiling a decal would be great! I just had a use for it today, tire tracks. Ended up having to make a super long decal and manually tile it in the bitmap options. Tedious. Same for caution tape, I use it all the time on construction machinery. Workaround has been to create a plane, UVW map to the right size and set the proper tiling. Doesn't work well for non-flat objects though.

Aside from tiling a decal, would be great if you could mask it off, use corona slice or even the slice modifier on them. Use case > mask a length of tire tracks where a moving car hasn't been yet and reveal it as the car moves. I tried to create a moving mask with all three options mentioned as well as a corona distance tex but could not get any to work.

2024-04-10, 21:04:24
Reply #6

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
I might sound like a broken record, but what's wrong with real-world mapping? Easy tiling decals just in couple clicks.

Aside from tiling a decal, would be great if you could mask it off, use corona slice or even the slice modifier on them. Use case > mask a length of tire tracks where a moving car hasn't been yet and reveal it as the car moves. I tried to create a moving mask with all three options mentioned as well as a corona distance tex but could not get any to work.

Even that is already achievable if you'd use triplanar and change its mapping source from local to world, or reference node space.

Edit: press on the picture if you want to see GIF

2024-04-11, 15:03:46
Reply #7

jasond

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Ah learn something new every day, thanks for that real world mapping tip / clip for tiling. I have it working now.

As for masking part of a decal, are you masking with another object / slicer or within the decal itself?

2024-04-11, 16:41:21
Reply #8

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
The idea is, that you don't need to mask anything, if you'll set texture's mapping source to world, or reference node space, it will "stick" in place and you will be able to either move decal, or increase its length and this should create illusion of revealing new tyre tracks.

2024-04-11, 19:00:46
Reply #9

jasond

• Active Users
    • View Profile
The idea is, that you don't need to mask anything, if you'll set texture's mapping source to world, or reference node space, it will "stick" in place and you will be able to either move decal, or increase its length and this should create illusion of revealing new tyre tracks.

I see what you mean. Took a bit of trial and error to get triplanar to scale the map properly but it does work as you said. I could move the decal and it sticks but resize doesn't work for this case as the decal object resizes from the centre, not an edge, even when changing the pivot.

2024-04-11, 20:20:50
Reply #10

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
I was talking only about decal effect sticking in place, not the decal object, but i see what you mean. You can achieve what you want by simultaneously moving decal half the length of its expansion. Let's say from frame 0 to frame 30 decal expands by 100 units, then if you'll also animate its movement in the same time frame by 50 units, it will look like decal is expanding from the edge and not from the center.