Significantly faster DOF (Depth of Field) rendering
25 (5.4%)
Sketch/Toon/Stylized shader
29 (6.2%)
Dedicated CarPaint Shader
7 (1.5%)
Dedicated fabrics shader
27 (5.8%)
Lightmix extended to materials, textures, ...
27 (5.8%)
Interactive rendering in 3ds max viewport (with gizmos, object selection, manipulation, ...)
16 (3.4%)
Rendering memory usage improvements
16 (3.4%)
Speed of rendering improvements
42 (9%)
Speed of interactive rendering improvements specifically
31 (6.7%)
GPU/Hybrid rendering
88 (18.9%)
Stability improvements (bug fixes)
12 (2.6%)
Improvements to caustics
23 (4.9%)
Thin film/coating shader
5 (1.1%)
Parsing performance optimization (e.g. for animations)
40 (8.6%)
New and better frame buffer (docked and floating)
23 (4.9%)
Further improvements to Chaos Scatter
15 (3.2%)

Total Members Voted: 178

Author Topic: The most wanted feature?  (Read 525725 times)

2016-09-28, 18:12:58
Reply #345

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Well 2 things:

Some things are bound to have less votes.. it's not like it has zero votes. It just has less votes then Caustics and other primary features. Just means more people would wish to have caustics than do advanced compositing. Seems perfectly sensible to me.

Second one is the name is unclear. I bet 70perc. of people have no idea what the "Include reflections/refractions in render passes" means in practicality. I surely didn't before you explained it on your example :- ) Now I want it, because it's frequent issue for me. Either I disable "visible in refractions" on glass, and then I have no glass mask and alpha, or otherwise. It's solvable currently, but with compromise.

Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2016-09-28, 18:39:17
Reply #346

Dippndots

• Active Users
  • Alex Fagan Co-Founder at The Faction
    • View Profile
    • The Faction
Haha! Well I'm glad I could help explain it so succinctly! I would wager that the reason it has low less votes is due to the name not adequately explaining what it gives you. Truth be told the only way I found out about it was various threads here saying you should vote for it, if you want to solve the issue I described.

Maybe we can get it's title amended so it's clearer what it gives us?

2016-09-28, 18:51:14
Reply #347

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Honestly, most of those features are named from developer's point of view :- D

Non-homogenous volumetric media is something I would have to google right now.

I am more surprised that people vote for material presets. Do users of Photoshop vote for stock photography to come with the software ? It's nonsense feature imho, esp. that's what 3rd parties are supposed to come with (and they do, both Siger and Vizpark).
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models

2016-09-28, 19:26:05
Reply #348

Dippndots

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • The Faction
Good points all around, they were kind of the reason I was so surprised that  "Include reflections/refractions in render passes" was so low in the voting, surely it benefits more users than "Non-homogenous volumetric media" :-P

2016-09-28, 23:53:33
Reply #349

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
OK, please propose better names, I will gladly change them ;) I didnt know how to name some of the features.

Juraj: Siger and Vizpark show that there is a market for quality material presets. And obviously people do not want to pay or install extra for that. It is supposed be to provided by 3rd parties? Well, proxies, scatter, tone mapping, DR, ... should be too, but hey, look ;)

Dippndots (or rather generally speaking): good thing about this thread is that it forces people to face the reality that not everyone has their workflow and their preferences. It can get really frustrating when 100(*) people practically scream at you their requests with no reality checks - students with 16gig laptops request out of core because they do 50M uniq poly scenes, etc. Even better when they explicitly tell you to ignore other people so their requests get priority. I always found that extremely disrespectful. Look at the feature request section - half of threads start with "the only thing corona needs", "corona will never success without", "I cannot use corona unless it has", "corona will become extremely successful when you add". Same thing for fstorm or really any other renderer except for vray - which has threads "I like corona better because it has less features/controls", "vray has too many controls", ... :D - So here you have it - it is not that we developers hate you personally and wont implement your pet feature, its that people need (or think they need) different things and if 100(*) people request one simple thing, I would have to work for a year nonstop, and the result would be more complicated than vray.

* there is currently 150 open feature requests, and 692 archived ;)
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2016-09-29, 00:11:39
Reply #350

Dippndots

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • The Faction
For sure Ondra, I didn't mean to suggest it was more important than the others, just that it had perhaps been looked-over or seemed trivial because the description didn't make sense to some people.

Maybe a more appropriate descriptor would be "Masking Elements affected by material's transparency, e.g. adjust material id's behind glass objects"?

2016-10-10, 16:19:44
Reply #351

Ludvik Koutny

• VIP
  • Active Users
  • Just another user
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
OK, please propose better names, I will gladly change them ;) I didnt know how to name some of the features.

Juraj: Siger and Vizpark show that there is a market for quality material presets. And obviously people do not want to pay or install extra for that. It is supposed be to provided by 3rd parties? Well, proxies, scatter, tone mapping, DR, ... should be too, but hey, look ;)

Dippndots (or rather generally speaking): good thing about this thread is that it forces people to face the reality that not everyone has their workflow and their preferences. It can get really frustrating when 100(*) people practically scream at you their requests with no reality checks - students with 16gig laptops request out of core because they do 50M uniq poly scenes, etc. Even better when they explicitly tell you to ignore other people so their requests get priority. I always found that extremely disrespectful. Look at the feature request section - half of threads start with "the only thing corona needs", "corona will never success without", "I cannot use corona unless it has", "corona will become extremely successful when you add". Same thing for fstorm or really any other renderer except for vray - which has threads "I like corona better because it has less features/controls", "vray has too many controls", ... :D - So here you have it - it is not that we developers hate you personally and wont implement your pet feature, its that people need (or think they need) different things and if 100(*) people request one simple thing, I would have to work for a year nonstop, and the result would be more complicated than vray.

* there is currently 150 open feature requests, and 692 archived ;)

Non-homogenous volumetric media -> Volumetrics with variable density (Clouds, Smoke simulations, FumeFX)

Include reflections/refractions in render passes -> Refraction/Reflection considered by masking elements

These two are enough. Then people hopefully won't be confused anymore.

Unfortunately, results of the poll are probably already heavily biased due to the initial poor naming.

2016-10-17, 12:02:50
Reply #352

robotmats

• Active Users
    • View Profile
One thing I'd very much like to see, is a hidden line shader - preferably as a render pass.
I'm rather new to Corona, but haven't been able to find a method that works satisfactory. Coming from Vray, and I have often the use of their Vray toon to create hidden line renders. However, having it as a map/render element makes more sense. A possible solution would also be to add a "hide interior edges"-button in the WireTex map?

2016-10-17, 12:25:17
Reply #353

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Unless i misunderstood something, but Corona wire material already has ability to render hidden lines.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2016-10-17, 13:48:09
Reply #354

robotmats

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I think you may be... it's not that I want it to display hidden edges in the mesh, but rather an "outline only" display. Typical Vray toon outlines render, or the "Hidden Line" viewport shading mode in 3dsmax.
Afaik, wire tex displays the full wireframe of the model.

2016-10-17, 14:12:58
Reply #355

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Could you show how that feature looks in Vray, cause i have a hard time to understand what you're refering to.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2016-10-17, 14:48:20
Reply #356

robotmats

• Active Users
    • View Profile
http://imgur.com/a/LPmV6

Like so! That image is comped on top of a white GI render, but preferrably, the output of a render element would be black lines on an all white base.

2016-10-17, 14:55:17
Reply #357

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
It's lost in translation problem ;- ) Robomats doesn't want to render hidden lines, he wants them to be "hidden" :- D.

So yeah, basic toon shader/ outline only option to wire map.

2016-10-17, 15:07:18
Reply #358

robotmats

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thanks for making it even clearer, Juraj. I thought "hidden line" was a fairly well established concept in the 3d community. Another example would be the default viewport mode of Sketchup.

But yes, a basic toon shader (without the ability to do any cel shading) is what I am after. Very useful when the architect requests a "sketch" kind of visualization.

2016-10-17, 16:27:19
Reply #359

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
There was a "trick" to do something similar posted here using the Round Edges map:
https://forum.corona-renderer.com/index.php/topic,12432.msg80196.html#msg80196

Tom Grimes | chaos-corona.com
Product Manager | contact us