Significantly faster DOF (Depth of Field) rendering
25 (5.4%)
Sketch/Toon/Stylized shader
29 (6.2%)
Dedicated CarPaint Shader
7 (1.5%)
Dedicated fabrics shader
27 (5.8%)
Lightmix extended to materials, textures, ...
27 (5.8%)
Interactive rendering in 3ds max viewport (with gizmos, object selection, manipulation, ...)
16 (3.4%)
Rendering memory usage improvements
16 (3.4%)
Speed of rendering improvements
42 (9%)
Speed of interactive rendering improvements specifically
31 (6.7%)
GPU/Hybrid rendering
88 (18.9%)
Stability improvements (bug fixes)
12 (2.6%)
Improvements to caustics
23 (4.9%)
Thin film/coating shader
5 (1.1%)
Parsing performance optimization (e.g. for animations)
40 (8.6%)
New and better frame buffer (docked and floating)
23 (4.9%)
Further improvements to Chaos Scatter
15 (3.2%)

Total Members Voted: 178

Author Topic: The most wanted feature?  (Read 524873 times)

2020-03-03, 00:48:04
Reply #810

Jpjapers

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Just to be clear here, im not demanding they go and work on the user features by any means. They are a company and we are all making a free decision to use their software. Im just curious if theres some sort of overarching strategic reason.
« Last Edit: 2020-03-03, 10:21:42 by Jpjapers »

2020-03-03, 15:18:35
Reply #811

JViz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Behance
look tough guy, a major feature got shot down, we want an explanation or we are storming area bs bs something. seriously though, it's a big feature what did you expect? and nothing out of the ordinary was said above.
two options:
a technical difficulty
OR
a business decision

very reasonable actually. don't blow things out of proportions. just don't be the censorship, it's vastly unpopular these days.

This.
Each time people start asking questions there ALWAYS comes someone who's not even part of the Corona team and advocates on their behalf like he knew exactly what and when the team was doing and reasoning behind teams decisions. Or suggests that you are being disgracefull to the team because you dare to ask questions about the product you pay for.

Questions asked to Corona team should be answered by Corona team members. Unfortunately many topics in feature request section (not only here) are left with no answer at all IMHO because it works like this:
A: "hey team, what about feature X, that would work like this and that"
B (user, not Corona member): "why dou you need this, I think that it is not necessery and you can always workaround this"
Same goes to even slightest critique of the development subjects.

I still remember the days when Ondra himself talked to people on the forums about new features and introduced them overnight.
I also understand that things are now way more complex and this is not doable anymore.
However recently in daily build section there was a discussion when dedicated people posted examples concerning some hints about research being done elswhere on the PBR shader, diffuse model, some papers on the subject etc. only to be removed by moderators as pointless discussion. Rly ? When people try and be helpfull in any way ?

And the initial roadmap is not being followed once again and top three features from the poll are not being developed.
What is the reason behind this topic then ? This supposed to be a major version with new features and yup, there are many. Just not those that majority of the people want aparently.
Development of V6 will take over 6 months, then standard period of 3mo code cleanup version and there you have it. 9/10mo development cycle that introduces none of the most wanted (according to the poll) features ? Quite possible.

Was really hoping for that new shader with lambertian controlls, sheen etc. as well as tone mapping rework. So disappointed again.

are you for real?! I was the one who asked the question in the first place. romullus intervened in defence of the corona team, I got banned because apparently I was entitled for asking why the PBR feature was cancelled and asking for my money's worth. you got it the other way around bro, read from here to get the true picture of what happened

the new shader just got cancelled. V-ray light cache is introduced. merging the two renderers is inevitable it seems.

Removed the previous tempban on jviz because some people pointed different interpretations of his post, so it is possible I misunderstood it as attack on romullus.

So nobody is tempbanned as of now, but please be nice to each other.

Hey Ondra. did you just censor me? wow! what entitlement are you talking about! a fanboy of whom? entitled to what? corona users asking for features is not being entitled! it's asking for 1. our money's worth, 2. transparency, 3. no abuse of power, one snipe at business and you freak out and BAN me. real nice.

and again to reiterate, what i said above is very reasonable.
Technical
OR
business

you say it's technical reasons, that's check next to transparency. nobody is freaking out Ondra, you did. thanks for the ban.
Although a purist, my work is anything but.
https://www.behance.net/ImageInnate

2020-03-03, 18:59:42
Reply #812

bluebox

• Active Users
    • View Profile
"""

But I was talking exactly about the stance that Romullus here presented. You misunderstood me. I perceive it much like you do.

And aside from the whole discussion I think you should take a deep breath. There seems to be too much anger.

Noone forces any of us into using this engine. We are all free to walk away. If the trend continues that none of the most requested features (none of the topmost three voted, not even one c'mon) get implemented in a years time development cycle then I think more and more people will start to evaluate their options.

2020-03-03, 21:58:24
Reply #813

JViz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Behance
"""

But I was talking exactly about the stance that Romullus here presented. You misunderstood me. I perceive it much like you do.

And aside from the whole discussion I think you should take a deep breath. There seems to be too much anger.

Noone forces any of us into using this engine. We are all free to walk away. If the trend continues that none of the most requested features (none of the topmost three voted, not even one c'mon) get implemented in a years time development cycle then I think more and more people will start to evaluate their options.

cool. anger though? I'm not angry at all. many of what I said was sarcasm that flew right above many people's heads. I don't care that much to feel anger really, all the features that corona team and vray team are struggling to understand the theory behind and code into their engines, I have access to all of those in Fstorm. it MUST be the way I WRITE that makes it LOOK like I'm ANGRY but I'm NOT. see what what I did there ;)

on a serious note, yes I thought you meant romulus but had to make sure ;)... sure we are free to walk away, I've always used more than one engine anyway, I'm just finding myself using corona less and less. it's a good engine despite its many shortcomings.

2020-03-05, 00:53:25
Reply #814

lupaz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
In my opinion, what would be nice on behalf of the Corona team, is to update the list/poll of most wanted features, with the option for the users to add a feature if needed.
Why? Bc it would be silly to make a decision of what users want based on the existing one because the team may be surprised by some not-so-hard-to-implement requests.

2020-04-12, 11:35:41
Reply #815

tradstown

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hello there! I will be short. I think Corona highlight compression (and Filmic highlight compression) is working not very well. Look at the Camera RAW in Photoshop or in Lightroom. It works in different way and do not make bright areas so flat. As Fstorm highlight compression too works fine in this case.

2020-04-12, 16:50:27
Reply #816

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Hello there! I will be short. I think Corona highlight compression (and Filmic highlight compression) is working not very well. Look at the Camera RAW in Photoshop or in Lightroom. It works in different way and do not make bright areas so flat. As Fstorm highlight compression too works fine in this case.

Adobe ACR (same in PS & Lightroom) HC is indeed very high quality. Very smooth transition, but only at very top, doesn't affect midtones at all. I am not sure if their algorithm can be applied to linear files correctly though, it wasn't designed as tonemapping tool.
This would be worth some research into!

What Corona uses is Reinhard, and it is very bad. The filmic is somehow wrongly implemented, that's not how it should work.
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2020-04-14, 06:53:41
Reply #817

tradstown

• Active Users
    • View Profile

Adobe ACR (same in PS & Lightroom) HC is indeed very high quality. Very smooth transition, but only at very top, doesn't affect midtones at all. I am not sure if their algorithm can be applied to linear files correctly though, it wasn't designed as tonemapping tool.
This would be worth some research into!

What Corona uses is Reinhard, and it is very bad. The filmic is somehow wrongly implemented, that's not how it should work.

Thanks, anyway, hope filmic highlight compression will be fix and tone mapping will m0ve somewhere in a good way!

2020-04-19, 13:50:36
Reply #818

Yuriy Bochkaryov

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Home Page
oh, tired of reading, it was very hot, hot discussions are a lot of fun)
I have only one question, which I consider extremely critical - when will we have a new, good tone mapping?
Can anyone tell me the date it will be implemented or in which version of Corona it will appear?
We have everything to make a beautiful picture, good shaders, good light, but we have a terrible tone mapping that spoils all this, the picture has no depth, I'm tired of this, it is a constant struggle with burning out and a flat picture. Good shader + good light - does not work if we have a bad tone mapping. We have a great example of tone mapping in FStorm, where probably even a monkey can set up a beautiful picture. I don’t know FStorm, I don’t work in it, but I open it, set up the lights a bit and the shaders, I go to the settings for tone mapping and after a couple of minutes I have a beautiful, lively picture and it's great!
I’ve been using Corona for 7 years, I have a lot of experience, but now I can’t configure tone mapping in Corona so that I like the picture in Corona VFB, I have to save the raw version without tone mapping and then process it in another VFB + plugin or a compos program - Nuke / Fusion, so that I can correctly control highlight compress and other tone mapping settings.
If the tone mapping in Corona VFB does not work correctly, it produces a poor gray, flat result in working with bright areas / light - this means that I can not more accurately / beautifully adjust the light in the scene, because I see that the result in Corona VFB shows me bad picture, bad work with highlights and I don’t understand how it will look in Nuke / Fusion where I can more correctly adjust the highlights. If you make a new, good tone mapping and its result is as good for Nuke / Fusion, then we will no longer need Nuke / Fusion as well as FStorm. I think this is obvious and if not all, then many users will thank you very much! Because they will get a more lively, realistic picture, and this is the main thing for the render engine - this is what we all expect from you, from professionals to beginners.
A beautiful picture is exactly what helps to sell the render engine, it’s your advertisement, your money.
But instead, you want to give us a new moth of Sky, Adaptive environment light sampling and Light Cache from Vray - why?
Why are you wasting time developing a new sky model? who uses corona sky today? Everyone has been using HDRI for a long time - It gives more realism to light, atmosphere and reflections. For 7 years I have never used Corona sky and I think that almost everyone does the same, or come to this a little later with an increase in skills.
Adaptive environment light sampling - if it makes the light in the scene more realistic and works faster, then this is very good, SUPER! but if it does not change anything in the quality and speed of light, but only allows you to not use more portals - then why is this needed? It doesn’t take much time to install portals, it’s not difficult, you spent a lot of time on it, and the result will not justify the quality in the picture, if all this is to not use the portals in the windows
Light Cache - how much animation is done in Corona? basically, these are static pictures, so I don’t understand why we need it now, when we have more important things.
I don’t understand why you are doing things that don’t ask you, and ignoring what we have been waiting for from you for so long?
You have a large user base, Corona render is an excellent engine, many people came to it because it is great, but now there is a strong competitor FStorm, it has very high speed and a very good picture. Corona cannot compete with FStorm in speed because the GPU has much more speed than the CPU, but the GPU has little memory, which is an advantage for Corona, even if it is slower, but it can do my job, and FStorm just closes with an error. because he doesn’t have enough video memory, I don’t need his speed if he cannot finish the project.
You must compete as a picture - this is what your users who buy your product expect from you, wait a very long time and patiently. They write that they are interested, what they want, for which they are ready to pay money, but unfortunately you are not doing it and it is very frustrating.
If your development and user wishes do not match, then who will buy Corona?
I apologize if I wrote a lot and emotionally, I don’t want aggression, I'm just sad. You must understand - that we all expected other developments from you, not what you will give us now, after a long wait time between v5 and v6.
Probably in v7 there will be what we ask, which is very important for us, and maybe you will again do not what we ask you, but do something else.
In any case, we will not get it in v6 - this means that half a year of expectations did not materialize, now we have to wait another half year again and hope that they will fix it, they will do it in v7
We want to understand how long we have to wait.
Maybe we never get them, or maybe we get them too late.
There are things that are very important here and now, tomorrow these things can be useless, because we already found a solution from competitors, because we had no choice, because we really needed them yesterday.

You created a vote for new features among Corona users, and I think it’s fair if you indicate the time when we can get them, it will be useful for everyone, we will know when we get it and we won’t be upset that the new version of Corona they are not there, we will know how much time we will expect this and probably will take serious decisions for us - wait for us for so long or seek solutions from competitors
Good luck Corona team, I hope you understand what you are doing and that you have chosen a truly right direction of development.

2020-04-20, 00:57:48
Reply #819

Designerman77

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Funny, at the moment I also more and more put an eye on realistic tone mapping color grading, dynamics, etc... and I see that many of you guys out here ask for a good solution regarding those things that actually differ a render that's okay from a render that looks real.

In the last days I often thought that it would be cool to have an "intelligent engine" within Corona, that permanently corrects users´ light tweaking, so it always looks realistic.
Highlights, contrasts, mid tones, saturation, etc. Like an AI-engine that works in the background.

2020-04-20, 03:20:44
Reply #820

agentdark45

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Basically, if Corona copied FStorm's tonemapping 1:1 I would most likely never touch FStorm again (apart from simple animations with DOF as it resolves DOF noise so damn quickly).

The user request vote has had reworked tonmapping in top spot for months (years?) - please devs can we put focus into this over items that users have not asked for. We can live with any current quirks of Corona (Reflection environment overrides not working, microbumps being resolution dependant e.t.c)...but FStorm quality tonemapping would be a fundamental difference to the engine.

I spend at least half a day per project fighting with highlight compression, curves, various LUTS, post pro trying to get a decent image without murky greys/crushed blacks/over burnt highlights/washed out or super saturated colours in Corona, whereas as Yuriy mentioned - it is literally minutes of setup to achieve a bang on DSLR like result in FStorm.

Cliff notes:

- 10-15% future speed up, consuming months of dev research and testing...meh.
- ACES/FStorm like tonemapping: inject it straight into my veins.
« Last Edit: 2020-04-20, 03:27:14 by agentdark45 »
Vray who?

2020-04-24, 11:48:29
Reply #821

webuilddreams

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi Ondra, and what about real time zoom in interactive rendering, this was such a nice feature in Vray, save us (back in the days) a lot of time in our workflow.

In VRAY it is possible to zoom in a certain area where you expect errors , correct the error and see the change on the fly!!

And with zoom i mean keep the zoomed (area) image sharp

2020-04-24, 15:42:43
Reply #822

davemahi

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • iamstatic
I agree, it is a point that is pushing me into other renders as well. I do love Corona, but we need to keep up with the Tone Mapping standards.

2020-04-25, 14:41:03
Reply #823

bluebox

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi Ondra, and what about real time zoom in interactive rendering, this was such a nice feature in Vray, save us (back in the days) a lot of time in our workflow.

In VRAY it is possible to zoom in a certain area where you expect errors , correct the error and see the change on the fly!!

And with zoom i mean keep the zoomed (area) image sharp

You can already use 2d Pan Zoom Mode for this. You must have missed it.

2020-05-12, 16:35:00
Reply #824

JViz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Behance
I agree, it is a point that is pushing me into other renders as well. I do love Corona, but we need to keep up with the Tone Mapping standards.

the latest features in corona are a dead cat bounce. the new Vray Beta has many features already in corona AND adds new ones like sheen and clear coat. Vray is ahead of corona right now, very soon there won't be any reason to use corona over vray. I would ignore both renderers and use something entirely different, many options out there and way better.