Significantly faster DOF (Depth of Field) rendering
25 (5.4%)
Sketch/Toon/Stylized shader
29 (6.2%)
Dedicated CarPaint Shader
7 (1.5%)
Dedicated fabrics shader
27 (5.8%)
Lightmix extended to materials, textures, ...
27 (5.8%)
Interactive rendering in 3ds max viewport (with gizmos, object selection, manipulation, ...)
16 (3.4%)
Rendering memory usage improvements
16 (3.4%)
Speed of rendering improvements
42 (9%)
Speed of interactive rendering improvements specifically
31 (6.7%)
GPU/Hybrid rendering
88 (18.9%)
Stability improvements (bug fixes)
12 (2.6%)
Improvements to caustics
23 (4.9%)
Thin film/coating shader
5 (1.1%)
Parsing performance optimization (e.g. for animations)
40 (8.6%)
New and better frame buffer (docked and floating)
23 (4.9%)
Further improvements to Chaos Scatter
15 (3.2%)

Total Members Voted: 178

Author Topic: The most wanted feature?  (Read 524179 times)

2020-02-28, 18:46:33
Reply #750

JViz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Behance
non of the above. no PBR. we're getting V-ray's features, they make rendering faster but they hit the quality hard. remember that V-ray-no-contact-shadows look we all hated I believe that's coming back in corona. I might be overreacting, but corona is getting closer to V-ray and slumping to its level instead of V-ray improving to corona's level. corona had that soft look to its GI that distinguished it from other engines.
Although a purist, my work is anything but.
https://www.behance.net/ImageInnate

2020-02-28, 18:58:32
Reply #751

danio1011

• Active Users
    • View Profile
My interest in seeing the new vray light cache brought to Corona would rank somewhere between ’zero’ to ‘please don’t do it.’  Meanwhile a new pbr shader would be awesome and something people have been asking for forever.  I realize I only speak for myself but this seems like a very strange decision.

2020-02-28, 20:22:13
Reply #752

JViz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Behance
it's not a strange decision really, it might be because technically they cannot do the PBR material within the time-frame of version 6 release, simply not having the research and coding capability for now. or it might be a business decision but this is where conspiracy theories emerge lol they want to merge the two renderers -corona and vray, and this move might get them closer to that goal. in either case I'd hate to see corona go down the drain, we had quite the ride, but I'm at the ready to shift to another renderer in 5 minutes lol.

2020-02-28, 22:10:34
Reply #753

danio1011

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Yes, all fair points.  Although one can assume that incorporating the new light cache takes some coding resources, but maybe much less.  When I see ‘incorporating VRay’s GPU based denoiser’ on Trello I’m going to cry :)

2020-02-28, 22:17:48
Reply #754

Jpjapers

• Active Users
    • View Profile
This is the third major version that pbr has been removed from and for what is a well established industry standard, it's a shame that it's been pushed aside again. Its almost a running joke haha.
I know the team works their asses off and you guys have had a particularly rough time recently and it's great that Corona is releasing versions more frequently. Incremental improvements are always welcome but id have hoped that v6 might have brought something from this poll.

I hope im completely wrongand that theres some amazing new feature on the horizon.
« Last Edit: 2020-03-01, 23:50:21 by Jpjapers »

2020-02-29, 18:52:41
Reply #755

marchik

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I have not been so upset for a very long time as this morning when I visited the roadmap. I would prefer only the new pbr shader instead of all these minor improvements. I don’t want to seem rude but I was almost depressed)))

2020-02-29, 21:53:50
Reply #756

ONO

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I see no point in a Roadmap when the Developers of a software don't even follow it. It actually seems redundant.

2020-03-01, 12:12:27
Reply #757

JViz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Behance
check the top three most wanted features. none of them is being implemented. that tells you that the company is doing business decisions, not decisions to improve the customers' experience.

2020-03-01, 14:53:20
Reply #758

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
What a f*king shitstorm, it's getting more ridiculous than a craze with the virus.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2020-03-02, 08:58:29
Reply #759

JViz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Behance
look tough guy, a major feature got shot down, we want an explanation or we are storming area bs bs something. seriously though, it's a big feature what did you expect? and nothing out of the ordinary was said above.
two options:
a technical difficulty
OR
a business decision

very reasonable actually. don't blow things out of proportions. just don't be the censorship, it's vastly unpopular these days.

2020-03-02, 09:01:04
Reply #760

rozpustelnik

• Active Users
    • View Profile
New Sky Model! Yeah! Thanks Corona Team!

2020-03-02, 09:11:42
Reply #761

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
Changes on the roadmap are because we had a hackathon with chaosgroup guys and found several of their technologies useful - new cache that is more stable in animations, adaptive dome light sampling, and bloom&glare effect that is better looking, more customizable, and also significantly faster. The sky model is result of independent research.

The only downside is that we will probably not make the PBR material on time for v6 release. I am still not expecting the PBR material to cause any sort of revolution, Corona material is 90% there. I am worried that when we finally release it, people will still be disappointed, because it will not make their images magically better.

I will not address the ridiculous conspiracy vray theories. If there is somebody not burned out by dealing with entitled fanboys, please do it for me ;).
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2020-03-02, 09:25:39
Reply #762

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
Removed the previous tempban on jviz because some people pointed different interpretations of his post, so it is possible I misunderstood it as attack on romullus.

So nobody is tempbanned as of now, but please be nice to each other.
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2020-03-02, 09:37:06
Reply #763

JViz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Behance
Removed the previous tempban on jviz because some people pointed different interpretations of his post, so it is possible I misunderstood it as attack on romullus.

So nobody is tempbanned as of now, but please be nice to each other.

Hey Ondra. did you just censor me? wow! what entitlement are you talking about! a fanboy of whom? entitled to what? corona users asking for features is not being entitled! it's asking for 1. our money's worth, 2. transparency, 3. no abuse of power, one snipe at business and you freak out and BAN me. real nice.

and again to reiterate, what i said above is very reasonable.
Technical
OR
business

you say it's technical reasons, that's check next to transparency. nobody is freaking out Ondra, you did. thanks for the ban.

2020-03-02, 10:19:02
Reply #764

Jpjapers

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Changes on the roadmap are because we had a hackathon with chaosgroup guys and found several of their technologies useful - new cache that is more stable in animations, adaptive dome light sampling, and bloom&glare effect that is better looking, more customizable, and also significantly faster. The sky model is result of independent research.

The only downside is that we will probably not make the PBR material on time for v6 release. I am still not expecting the PBR material to cause any sort of revolution, Corona material is 90% there. I am worried that when we finally release it, people will still be disappointed, because it will not make their images magically better.

I will not address the ridiculous conspiracy vray theories. If there is somebody not burned out by dealing with entitled fanboys, please do it for me ;).

If its the case that the PBR material isnt what some people think it is then perhaps its worth mentioning what it actually could be to calm the hype or misunderstanding around it? As i understand it, it would just make working with other PBR software a little more convenient. Im not personally expecting any changes in a final image, just a more streamlined pipeline and possibly clearcoat/sheen settings but thats about it. Slightly nicer interoperatbility with Unreal Engine could also be a nice to have ;) .

Looking forward to seeing the sky model in the dailies!
« Last Edit: 2020-03-02, 11:13:28 by Jpjapers »