Author Topic: Making the scene more realistic [open topic for anyone]  (Read 5936 times)

2017-06-06, 23:18:13

zbieraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi, I wanted to create thread where everybody can ask questions regarding how to change things in the scene and how to do it to achieve more realistic effects in Corona for C4D.

So I will start with my problems - those scenes look like "typical" result from Corona. Nothing too fancy though. I think it is a matter of light or something that it is looking not too realistic. What am I missing?

Lights: one HDRI.

2017-06-06, 23:44:00
Reply #1

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
just a wild guess - it seems to me the albedo is too high? I almost cannot see the details of walls
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2017-06-07, 01:34:28
Reply #2

zbieraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thanks Ondra for your comment!

I checked albedo problem - I did not even know about it before! So after correcting the walls to the level of 0.8, this is the effect when applied only on walls:

This is an effect when applied to the window and door framing as well:

What I love about it is that suddenly there is a bunch more of details in the scene. But in the same time I am starting to wonder if the scene is not too dark. I tried to rise up the exposure instead:

Bedroom (after lowering white level to 0,8 and rising exposure from 1 to 2):

And here I have a question - should I always keep every white element in the scene below 1? For example the vase on the right and the mattress of the bed are now 1.0 and the floor now has also 100% of brightness*.

Last view:

* and test regading having the radiators and floor also in 0,8 level. However the rendering time went way higher....

So if I am correct, every pure white material must have albedo in the level of 0,8, right? But then, should I also always have less than 100% of the brightness of the texture materials? Or can I leave those as they are (by the default 100%)?

What can be improved more? I was thinking about learning how to make levels of the reflection in Corona (like vRay has few specular layers + dirt). I wonder if this could help even more. For example I still don't know how to do an effect like for exampel fingerprints on a surface (in additional to normal diffuse and reflection map) - so how to add fingerprints layer. In vRay I would use Specular Layers. Same with the vRay dirt. How to add those things in Corona?

2017-06-07, 17:06:57
Reply #3

Marian

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi. I read about it -albedo for white never should be pure white, because it doesn't exist in real world. It could make your scene washing out or noisy. For white textures it is same < for diffuse slot >. You should consider clamp texture or use filter or adjust exposure.... Anyone correct me if I'm wrong, I'm not expert... And you should do some postproces with PS or any other program. Youtube has plenty videos for this topic.
And very nice topic btw. I'm very interesting about advanced materials for C4D in Corona. I don't know Vray <as I assume has a lot common whit Corona and many users take advantage of it>. To be honest, I'm not expert-advance in any other engine so I cant translate any knowledge to Corona and almost all examples for C4Dcorona materials on internet are very simple - basic < which I probably understand :) >

2017-06-07, 17:20:29
Reply #4

zbieraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I am a no-post-process guy ;). For me there is no reason to have Corona or vRay if you need to still post-produce a lot.

2017-06-07, 21:19:48
Reply #5

zbieraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Results from Today.
« Last Edit: 2017-06-07, 21:52:08 by zbieraj »

2017-06-07, 21:52:01
Reply #6

Nejc Kilar

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My personal website
Looking cool!

The first few things that come to mind are the reflections and the bumps - there is very little "impurity" going on. One thing I would also do is I'd make sure any and all edges are beveled (nothing in RL is a sharp, 90 degree line / corner).

Check this image:
https://mir-s3-cdn-cf.behance.net/project_modules/fs/4559ba53515185.59372fdbac144.jpg (by Interno Iza Gajewska
 @ https://www.behance.net/gallery/53515185/Refresh-estetic-studio-in-Bydgoszcz-Done-112016)

Pay attention to the details on the metal of the lights. So much going on that is super subtle but definitely important.

I like what you are doing here so keep at it! :)

Hope it helps!

Nejc Kilar | chaos-corona.com
Educational Content Creator | contact us

2017-06-07, 22:01:21
Reply #7

zbieraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thanks for the tips! Regarding the bumps and reflections - to be honest I have problems with them in Corona :/. In vRay it worked but here suddenly the rules are sort of... different? I am having hard times getting them right :/. But I hope that after some practice it will clarify a bit more :).

2017-06-08, 17:44:07
Reply #8

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Are the walls lavender-ish, or is it the lighting?
If it's the lighting, I would try to somehow get rid of this violet hue. Maybe changing color temperature in vfb would help?
Once the white walls would be white it would be easier to tell what else can be improved in terms of realism.
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2017-06-08, 22:48:34
Reply #9

zbieraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
It is coming probably from the elements in the scene. Walls are white. Actually for me it looks fine with this small hue, however I will play a bit with the colour temperature probably :).

2017-06-10, 00:21:40
Reply #10

Noah45

• Active Users
  • press *1
    • View Profile
I am a no-post-process guy ;). For me there is no reason to have Corona or vRay if you need to still post-produce a lot.

Post is life!gets me from ok to wow
Retail Illustrator  (for ever' 80's )
3DMax 2020/Corona Version: 6DB

2017-07-26, 09:08:14
Reply #11

hellyeah

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Dominik Moser
Are the walls lavender-ish, or is it the lighting?
If it's the lighting, I would try to somehow get rid of this violet hue. Maybe changing color temperature in vfb would help?
Once the white walls would be white it would be easier to tell what else can be improved in terms of realism.

Thats my impression, too. But its not only the walls, also the wooden chairs have that violet touch. I think thats the problem why the image seems a little bit dull. ThereĀ“s not a single warm, yellowish object in your scene. Maybe you should rethink about your post-decision?

But overall a very nice rendering with a lot of potential.