General Category > General CG Discussion

Rhino to 3DSMax

<< < (2/6) > >>

pokoy:
IGES or STEP will both work, I don't expect major differences. There are certain cases where surface patches will come out better in one format so if you see problems, try the other.

The main difference is that Rhino is a NURBS modeler and Max a polygonal modeler. I agree that accuracy in Max stinks if you're used to work with a NURBS app. It's important that you set up your units correctly in Max, probably best to use meters for both system and file units, then accuracy will be good down to a millimeter.

Even if you hate modeling in Max, for simple things like walls I'd still advise to learn how to do it in Max, it's just way faster than going back and forth between the two apps. If you really want to stay in Rhino you'd need to remove any triangulation form faces you want to chamfer for example since the triangulation will prevent chamfer from working properly.

As already suggested above, MoI3d (Rhino maybe as well) can export NURBS to polygons (FBX or OBJ in case of MoI3d) instead of triangles so you might want to try that as well. The drawback would be that you won't be able to change tessellation in Max since you export polygonal data instead of NURBS.

That said, chamfering in Rhino is superior with complicated geometry. Max 2017 and later version have a useful chamfer modifier, so it's possible to change values quickly on the fly.

There are archviz companies completely relying on Max for creating models so it's perfectly possible. But yes, it's a different thing than NURBS and you need to spend some time to be fast and efficient.

lupaz:
In my opinion it's just not worth it to use iges or step for simple geometry. Dwg is surprisingly good.
Only for product design is worth using iges.

It's true though that in order to chamfer edges cleanly in max you will need to modify the triangulation sometimes.

louisryko:

--- Quote from: lupaz on 2018-06-13, 16:38:23 ---It's true though that in order to chamfer edges cleanly in max you will need to modify the triangulation sometimes.

--- End quote ---

Thanks Lupaz,

Would you mind explaining this process?

Cheers,

lupaz:
If you need to chamfer an edge cleanly, you will probably have to manually clean the mesh. I don't think I can explain the process. It's modeling techniques.
Usually very small chamfering won't cause visible defects for archviz purposes.

romullus:

--- Quote from: pokoy on 2018-06-13, 11:46:10 ---The limitation where normals were discarded upon converting to Editable Poly has been lifted a long time ago, there were many undocumented changes in the last few years and converting to E-mesh and E-Poly will retain surface normals now.

--- End quote ---

That's nice to hear, i'm working with max 2016 and explicit normals are as fragile as ever :/

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version