General Category > General CG Discussion

Rhino to 3DSMax

<< < (3/6) > >>

pokoy:

--- Quote from: romullus on 2018-06-15, 12:10:16 ---
--- Quote from: pokoy on 2018-06-13, 11:46:10 ---The limitation where normals were discarded upon converting to Editable Poly has been lifted a long time ago, there were many undocumented changes in the last few years and converting to E-mesh and E-Poly will retain surface normals now.

--- End quote ---

That's nice to hear, i'm working with max 2016 and explicit normals are as fragile as ever :/

--- End quote ---
They should definitely be kept when doing this in Max 2016. Still a lot to be asked but unfortunately all the (small) changes to normal handling were never documented publicly so it's trial and error. Attaching/detaching still breaks them in 2019, though.

romullus:
Just tested it and indeed normals are kept if i convert straight to editable poly (FINALLY), but edit poly modifiers still destroys them. Well, that's already big step forward, hopefully one day autodesk will fully address normals isues in 3ds max.

arcmos:
I also experimented a lot with Rhino to 3ds Max or Vectorworks to 3ds Max. In case of Rhino I also made the best of experience with the DWG format.

Designerman77:

--- Quote from: pokoy on 2018-06-13, 11:46:10 ---
--- Quote from: telemix on 2018-06-13, 02:22:38 ---SAT format is good for solid models.
SAT imported as "body object", is true solid model.
Apply edit mesh modifer, not edit poly. And do not convert to edit poly, it is kill all normals.

To get non-triangulated faces, you can use "Moi3d" for reexport.

--- End quote ---

Sorry but there's so much wrong information here it needs to be corrected.

Use STEP or IGES for Rhino.

If you're on Max 2014+, you can import both formats natively, they will come in as Body Objects. With Body Objects it's possible to change tesselation at any time since the original NURBS data is kept and tesselated only for viewport display or rendering (even renderers that render NURBS directly will tesselate them).

With Max 2017+ you can also import NURBS data with the ATF importer (Autodesk's own NURBS kernel) which will work better for some cases - however some drawbacks are that you won't be able to change tesselation afterwards and the resolution slider is the only parameter, so you have less control over how the data gets tesselated.

To use ATF, use 'convert to geometry' set to ON from the dropdown in the importer dialog. To use Body Objects, use OFF.

The limitation where normals were discarded upon converting to Editable Poly has been lifted a long time ago, there were many undocumented changes in the last few years and converting to E-mesh and E-Poly will retain surface normals now.

Chamfering or any other manipulation of NURBS in Max is not possible, Body Objects are very limited in what you can do with them, even Undo doesn't work reliably. If you change something, make sure to save first ;)

One note if you're using Corona for rendering. If Corona uses the shadow terminator fix (which is does by default) surface normals from NURBS will render with artifacts. To get rid of these, your only option is to disable the shadow terminator fix.

My personal adivce - there's no benefit in modeling the walls in Rhino, it'll probably cause you more headaches than needed if you aren't used to NURBS meshes in Max, they have their own quirks and you need to know how to solve them.
Unless there's something specific you need that you haven't mentioned.

--- End quote ---

There's no need to model walls in Rhino ? ... except that you can model way faster than in any Prog like Max or C4D.

I always do architecture (and lots of other objects) in Rhino, export as 3ds to C4D, untriangulate - works fine.
Most surfaces come as one poly, except those with cut outs, of course.

I had done a lot of tests and comparisons regarding export formats. Igel, Step, etc... were mostly much bigger from file size.
So I stick to 3ds format.

Designerman77:

--- Quote from: lupaz on 2018-06-13, 16:38:23 ---In my opinion it's just not worth it to use iges or step for simple geometry. Dwg is surprisingly good.
Only for product design is worth using iges.

It's true though that in order to chamfer edges cleanly in max you will need to modify the triangulation sometimes.

--- End quote ---

At one of the design offices where I worked yeas ago, they used STL export format for amorph forms.
Disadvantage: big data size and multiple objects were imported as one object.

After lots of tests, I came to the conclusion that 3ds format works fine (in C4D). And why should it not work equally well in Max?
Give it a try.

For straight, boxy objects without curved surfaces, set the degree to 0.
For amorph shapes, set the degree value to 9 or 6 if you want it smooth.
Normals are almost never flipped in 3ds format - at least my experience.

If you want to get almost only quads, there is also a combination of export settings... which I don't have in mind... but I could check it out.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version