Author Topic: Wavy reflections/anisotropy in brushed ssteel  (Read 914 times)

2022-11-03, 19:46:08

CGArroyo

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hello colleages.

Im trying to achieve the effect done on this metal. My client is telling me that this project is made with corona but I have no clue on how they did it.

https://www.behance.net/gallery/146596083/ta-gelaterie?tracking_source=project_owner_other_projects

Tried maps for anisotropy and layering multiple stainless steels toghether, but he is not seeing it.

Any clues on how to?

Big thanks!!

2022-11-03, 20:41:37
Reply #1

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Well that project is done by actual camera :- ) The last photo even includes the designers. Those are simply not renderings.

And that effect (ripples) is primarily from the metallic piece being crumpled/shaped. You will get best result doing the same, with noise map of some sort driving actual physical displacement of the mesh.
The rest is indeed anisotropy. If you find the aniso+gloss value doesn't give correct result, you can play with tail parameter in advanced rollout, stainless steel and similar surfaces can have pretty long tail.
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2022-11-06, 05:27:20
Reply #2

CGArroyo

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Just what I thought, no rendering on this project pictures.

At first is what I was trying to do, slight displace to get that effect, but client said that no displacement is needed for the metal.

Tried to use gradient ramps into anisotropy and kind of worked out, but shitty results in my opinion.

I think I could convince my client to stop thinking those are 3D flat metal magic reflection tricks and go with tricky metal config to reflect elements and lights

Thanks so much for your response!!

Have a nice day