Author Topic: Threadripper & Ryzen only builds (3rd Gen starts on page 50)  (Read 529964 times)

2020-04-06, 19:05:52
Reply #1065

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
I don't fully agree with that. To me it looks like (and this is also mentioned in some places other than reddit) that there are conflicts between BIOS, Ryzen Master, and maybe some other thing (power plans?).
Also, if I change the same value in one place (Extreme Tweaker > X) and in another place (Advanced > X), then it works fine in one case, and the PC doesn't boot in the other case. Something is definitely wrong here. The specific value that behaves like this for me is Precision Boost Overdrive set to Enabled.

So if I adjust some values, the system is stable, I am getting faster rendering, lower temperatures, and less noisy fans - then why shouldn't I be doing this, and why isn't it working like this out of the box?

Nothing is wrong anywhere :- ). But let's go over it:

- Software measured voltages are highly inaccurate. +/- up to 20perc.
- It's to be noted whether Ryzen Master is used simply as monitoring tool (where is is very crude and limited) or as overriding test setup (or real-time profile switching) for bios settings. This app has multiple purposes, but ultimately isn't needed at all.
- Ryzen Master works better than its other software alternatives (which should be ignored), but even than is inferior option to settings things in bios as it lack all the options the bios offers and that can end up in conflict. Bios offers multiple power regulation settings that influence each other, if only subset is changed in RM it can lead to compatibility issues.

Let's go back to voltages, but it's first good to remind that currently only HWinfo and CPU-Z correctly refers to both VID (Nominal requested voltage from CPU) and V-Core (actual voltage). AMD themselves though suggest CPU-Z to avoid observer effect.
I found HWiNFO to work correctly here as well though with latest updates. Never run multiple monitoring tools to get better accuracy (which includes RM here).

I am getting faster rendering, lower temperatures

Are you sure? So under-volting caused higher turbos? And what are the measurements of before and after?

Undervolting will always (it's physically impossible for it to be opposite) come at expense of single-core performance because the CPU's V-Core will never reach the request VID. This is regulated based on task demands and it will spike up to 1.5V of actual voltage used to reach single-core turbo, the whole system was designed to be this dynamic. Wild swings from 0.2-1.5 are expected and normal.
High idle voltage is not an issue because the current is low as well.

Don't set PBO on if you don't plan on changing the actual power limits. PBO is unfortunately not functioning properly in any auto-state and it might become abandoned (but well meant) concept from AMD.

Here is quote from Robert Hallock from AMD:
Please do not undervolt the chip or set a maximum processor state of 99%. These are ineffective and/or detrimental changes.

Ultimately, you can play with the system as much as you like, it won't achieve any magic. Regardless of what you believe you see. Army of overclockers can't can be wrong.
If you enjoy the process...that's something else. But I can't get on board seeing suggestions that there is something to optimize become mainstream even among working crowd.

Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2020-04-06, 20:02:36
Reply #1066

twoheads

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Guys sorry for being such a pain in the a** really!

Just sent back my broken 1080 ti and I need to buy "something" to complete my workstation. As I'm honestly excited to finally try it, this whole situation is killing me.

This last bad purchase has discouraged me from buying "used stuff" so I'm thinking about new 2070. Is 8GB rtx dramatically inferior to 11 GB 1080 ti in relation to 3dsmax + corona workflow?

I can still buy gtx 1080 ti for 720 euro from vendor who claims it's "brand new", but it's still a risk. RTX 2080 is ridiculously expensive so it's not an option at the moment...

Thanks in advance,
TH

2020-04-06, 20:21:53
Reply #1067

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Open your biggest scene, one photoshop, open task manager, check the GPU memory consumption.
It doesn't affect workflow or performance until you start running out of it.

11>8, but if you only need 2... well then anything will work.
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models

2020-04-06, 21:57:46
Reply #1068

twoheads

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Open your biggest scene, one photoshop, open task manager, check the GPU memory consumption.
It doesn't affect workflow or performance until you start running out of it.

11>8, but if you only need 2... well then anything will work.

dully noted ;)

thanks Juraj

2020-04-07, 03:50:18
Reply #1069

lolec

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Zenith Extreme II Alpha... impossible to find.

a. wait (any idea of how long, any number floating around?)
b. MSI creator a good second option? Any other recommendations?

2020-04-07, 09:46:07
Reply #1070

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
I see plenty in Geizhals across Germany, but also from UK Scan. Locally stocked though.. easily months.

MSI Creator is great. On par with other flagships except Alpha.

2020-04-09, 09:37:34
Reply #1071

rubensabou

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi Guys,

I have a question. Yesterday I ordered my 3990x build, but as a cooling solution i've added a be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 TR4. I've watched some testing on a 3970x and it performed pretty close to Noctua, but i couldn't find any testing on a 3990x. I didn't chose Noctua because of looks, i really hate that shitty colors. Later i checked on be quiet! website and on specs are mentioning that DRP it recommended on a max 32 core CPU. Should I worry about this ? Does this influence the performance of CPU?

2020-04-10, 23:16:47
Reply #1072

lolec

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Juraj,

Best way to contact you for a non-threadripper inquiry? You PM are closed. Thanks

2020-04-12, 16:44:38
Reply #1073

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Juraj,

Best way to contact you for a non-threadripper inquiry? You PM are closed. Thanks

Facebook/Messanger { facebook . com / name dot surname }

But I am extremely busy, so if possible... wait until Wednesday.

2020-04-13, 00:31:53
Reply #1074

thomaslivings

• Active Users
    • View Profile
This thread is fantastic, thank you t0o all who have contributed.

I am building a render node for my home office, below is the proposed build and then a couple of questions:
CPU - 3990
MB - MSI Creator TRX40 sTRX4 AMD TRX40
RAM - CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 128GB (4 x 32GB) possibly adding another 4 x 32.
M.2 primary drive - SAMSUNG 970 EVO PLUS 500GB
PSU - Seasonic PRIME TX-1000 (I know this is overkill, but if my aging workstation goes out I can install a titan or RTX2080 GPU and use this).
CPU cooler - Noctua NH-U14S TR4-SP3
Case - Antec Performance Series P120 Crystal E-ATX

Questions:
1 - anything look like a silly choice above?
2 - I have so many old cases in the office its not even funny. Can I re-use something like an Antec 900? Is EATX wildly different to ATX?

2020-04-13, 14:38:33
Reply #1075

Pepelecrabb

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I cannot comment definitively as this is my first PC build since 1989, but from my research, (much of it here I read this whole thread at least twice) an ATX MoBo should fit in an EATX case.

I have one question from all that I have read here...I don't see anyone installing any PCIe Gen 4 SSDs, why not? I found the Sabrent 1TB Rocket NVMe 4.0 Gen4 PCIe M.2 Internal SSD for $20 more then the Samsung 970 EVO and $20 less then the EVO Plus.

Here are my specs if anyone would like to comment

AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3970X -$1900
Gigabyte TRX40 AORUS PRO WIFI TRX4 ATX Motherboard -$400
EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti SC2 GAMING 11GB GDDR5X Graphics Card -$500
Fractal Design Meshify C Case -$90
G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 64GB (2 x 32GB) X 2 -$600
Sabrent 1TB Rocket NVMe 4.0 Gen4 PCIe M.2 Internal SSD -$200
SAMSUNG 970 EVO M.2 2280 1TB PCIe Gen3. X4  -$180
Noctua NH-U14S TR4-SP3, Premium-Grade CPU Cooler for AMD sTRX4/TR4/SP3 -$80
EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G1+ 1000W 80 Plus Gold Modular Power Supply -$190
BenQ PD3200U 32" 16:9 4K IPS Monitor -$700
Windows 10 Pro -$200

2020-04-13, 22:39:08
Reply #1076

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
1 - anything look like a silly choice above?
2 - I have so many old cases in the office its not even funny. Can I re-use something like an Antec 900? Is EATX wildly different to ATX?

1- Everything is good.
2- E-ATX is non-standard that's usually just ATX + 2-4cm of additional width to the right. So even in cases that don't support it, it fits, but quite often covers the holes for cables. Makes for messier cabling, but functionally zero issue.
    (For interest, XL-ATX is taller towards bottom, and fits very few cases. No one except Gigabyte and EVGA uses it though).

I have one question from all that I have read here...I don't see anyone installing any PCIe Gen 4 SSDs, why not? I found the Sabrent 1TB Rocket NVMe 4.0 Gen4 PCIe M.2 Internal SSD for $20 more then the Samsung 970 EVO and $20 less then the EVO Plus.

Windows 10 Pro -$200

Plenty of people do, it's becoming very popular brand. Samsung is just standard go-to golden standard. The PCI 4.0 will not provide any benefit with current drives on market and for system drive, sequential speeds are largely irrelevant. Really doesn't matter what you install as system drive for most part from consumer range.

Re:Windows. Buy it for 5 dollars on eBay. Yes, they are authentic keys. They're mass OEM corporate keys, thus grey market (and not kindly looked upon by Companies), but fully legal under EU law due to Cisco vs EU precedence. And you can use licence bought in EU wherever you want!
(Fun fact: Cisco had to grudgingly put it into their License Transfer policy which is basically "Haram! Unless you are in EU..." https://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en_us/about/doing_business/legal/policy/Cisco_Software_Transfer_and_Relicensing_Policy.pdf )

Yes I know Bill is saving our human race with his donations, but you still don't need to bankroll Microsoft if you don't need to ;- ). You can just buy another SSD.

2020-04-14, 03:46:51
Reply #1077

Pepelecrabb

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thanks a million, Juraj, your expertise is truly providing an invaluable service to Corona users.Thank you for your time (and others too).

I suspected there wouldn't be any noticeable real world difference between PCIe 3 or 4.  Now it's off to ebay I go.

2020-04-16, 12:44:41
Reply #1078

mrbig

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I'm going to build a similar pc previous posted by @pepelecrabb.

I've already these components:
AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3970X
EVGA GeForce GTX 1070
Dark Base 700
Noctua NH-U14S TR4-SP3
EVGA SuperNOVA 1200 P2

Regarding motherboard and RAM I'm choosing between:
Gigabyte Aorus Master TRX40, Gigabyte Aorus Pro Wifi or Msi TRX4 TRX40 PRO 10G?
Corsair Vengeance 3200 C16 LPX(4x16Gb) or GSkill Ddr4 3200 C16 Ripjaws V Series?

What do you think?
Thx

« Last Edit: 2020-04-16, 18:56:25 by mrbig »

2020-04-16, 17:31:48
Reply #1079

Pepelecrabb

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Not sure if you mean EVGA or Gigabyte on the Aorus Master and Pro. I didn't see anything like that on the EVGA website.
I did compare the Gigabyte Master & Pro and the MSI Pro 10g. I ruled out the Gigabyte Master because I didn't want the bigger EATX board. And I ruled out the MSI Pro because it apparently doesn't have Bluetooth and I like my bluetooth mouse and keyboards.