Author Topic: Learning Max coming from Sketchup / C4D  (Read 1762 times)

2018-07-10, 23:17:49

Rhodesy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
So Ive used many apps over the last 15+ years, ArchiCAD/FormZ/Sketchup all exporting geometry to C4D and rendering with various render engines for Arch Viz. But for a long time I cant help but think I really should be switching over to the industry standard and suck up my dislike for Autodesk. When I first started with C4D (circa 2003) the fight for arch viz was still strong with its connection plugins to archicad, sketch n toon and even the 'visualise' flavour of c4d they released. But they started to drift more into motion graphics and max grew in to the default for arch viz. So everything arch viz related in both assets and plugins is all max and i'm getting a bit sick of it so if I cant beat 'em and all that.

I've tried the demo of max and find bits OK and others a bit backward compared to the simplicity of sketchup. And other bits I just dont have a clue about. Scouring the internet for tutorials I'm amazed to find so little out there of any quality including previews of some of the paid stuff! Does anyone know of any decent arch viz related tutorials that focus just on the modelling? Some of the better stuff out there look to quickly get you to the rendering phase but I'm not interested with that as I'm hoping to transfer my corona knowledge from C4D to Max.

Any help would be appreciated. I know some of the big hitters switched from Sketchup (PG and JT) and not looked back so I'm guessing its the right way to go.

Cheers

2018-07-10, 23:32:26
Reply #1

Noah45

• Active Users
  • press *1
    • View Profile
 SU to MAX (Coronaut). SU textured models, translated, then embellished to produce decent renderings . (in my case 'retail')
Can honestly say, even a moderately decent textured map will translate to (ref/bump/ poss. disp) a nice CRN material.

100's of rends later...
Retail Illustrator  (for ever' 80's )
3DMax 2020/Corona Version: 6DB

2018-07-12, 17:02:20
Reply #2

Rhodesy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thanks, but I was more looking for advice on learning max modelling, not importing sketchup geometry.

2018-07-13, 00:04:56
Reply #3

Noah45

• Active Users
  • press *1
    • View Profile
Ok, after years of Max building , I see SU user's having fun, doing the heavy lifting. Now I'm translation bound, and doing minimum building.

Best of luck
Retail Illustrator  (for ever' 80's )
3DMax 2020/Corona Version: 6DB