Author Topic: Masking issues in Photoshop  (Read 2248 times)

2017-03-23, 11:31:58

bilko123

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi all,

Does anyone else use cmasking_wirecolor and cmasking_ID passes to create quick selection masks in photoshop when working on the post in your images? I've been having this problem where I use 'Color Range' in PS to select an area then another area then make my adjustments but it leaves a horrible line around everything. I'm a long term vray user and don't remember experiencing it quite this badly with material ID's etc.

I did turn off the image filter and that helped but still getting this very dark line. Maybe it's something in photoshop?

Any help would be really appreciated.

2017-03-23, 12:08:16
Reply #1

James

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Jamesmadethis.com
That's normal behavior in my experience of both vray and corona. Do you have DOF turned on?, that will make the effect worse.

You can either be more careful with your color selecting method, or refine the selection mask afterwards. Or better still, but takes more work setup, create C_masking_masks for each of your important selections. i.e. floors, lamps, walls, etc.. This gives you 3 selections per element - R.G.B then in photoshop you can go into Channels and Ctrl+click just Red or green etc... Its exactly the same as Multimattes in Vray, but much better - lots more setup options and less effort to do.

2017-03-23, 12:09:38
Reply #2

AscotDesign

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I use these elements a lot. Have you tried expanding and maybe even feathering the selection by 1 pixel?

2017-03-23, 19:20:08
Reply #3

bilko123

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Many thanks James and AscotDesign for the help,

I am using the Gbuffer ID now, hopefully that will make for cleaner channels.

2017-03-24, 09:13:36
Reply #4

DarcTheo

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Many thanks James and AscotDesign for the help,

I am using the Gbuffer ID now, hopefully that will make for cleaner channels.

I get this problem with wire colours on grass or other vegetation but its normally fine for something like a lamp. Is it a case of leaving it to do a few more passes for aa(i think it works like that)? or like someone else said, is there DOF being used on it?