Author Topic: Excessive noise that never clears when using lumens as intensity.  (Read 3227 times)

2018-07-10, 16:36:59

Jpjapers

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I have a thread on mantis about the excessive noise in some scenes and ive traced the issue back.

If i create a lightsource the same size as a real world LED module (Roughly 25mm dia) and set the real world lumens output (12000lm) in lightmix its incredibly dim and needs boosting to 10,000 lightmix intensity before it shows correctly and this in turn generates insane noise.
I built a spotlight to manufacturer spec and fitted this in my renders and even after running for 17+ hours on multiple DR nodes and going through denoising, it was still horribly noisy.

As soon as i switch back to W/m2 the noise is normal again.

I have a thread on mantis for this but Ive tried both dropbox and the private scene uploader and havent managed to upload a 160mb archive to either. It crashes every time.
« Last Edit: 2018-07-10, 17:04:27 by jpjapers »

2018-07-16, 15:02:33
Reply #1

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Interesting, but we would need the scene and solid reproduction steps to understand it. Can you try putting it on your Dropbox, Google Drive or any other hosting, and sending us the link?
Also, is the noise visible ONLY in the LightMix after cranking up the intensity, or also in the original beauty pass? Persistent noise is expected when increasing intensity in LightMix too much, but it should not be dependent on the light intensity units anyway.
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2018-07-16, 17:00:24
Reply #2

cecofuli

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • www.francescolegrenzi.com
We know that there is a but in CoronaIES light about intensity value.
But, often, the noise created by the IES lights depends also from a .ies file.
Also, more "direct" is the light from IES, more noise it will produce.

2018-07-16, 19:50:28
Reply #3

Jpjapers

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Interesting, but we would need the scene and solid reproduction steps to understand it. Can you try putting it on your Dropbox, Google Drive or any other hosting, and sending us the link?
Also, is the noise visible ONLY in the LightMix after cranking up the intensity, or also in the original beauty pass? Persistent noise is expected when increasing intensity in LightMix too much, but it should not be dependent on the light intensity units anyway.

Hey maru,

Yeah so on the mantis ive been told its been reproduced with the first scene i sent. I can put the second on google drive if you guys still want to see it.
The noise begins developing in lightmix after a while. I noticed it after about 40 passes or so starting to generate fireflies and then at 140 passes it was really bad in the 'hotspot' areas.  I havent checked the beauty pass as well as lightmix so ill do that tomorrow. Problem with the intensity is that it should be fine at 2000lm and lightmix set to 1 as it is exactly to the manufacturer spec however i had to crank it wayyyy up to get any visibility at all.

2018-07-16, 20:16:24
Reply #4

Jpjapers

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I cant replicate the light units issue but in this scene the fireflies get progressively worse as the render goes on and don't ever seem to clean up.
Ive attached the scene here.

2018-07-16, 22:54:55
Reply #5

cecofuli

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • www.francescolegrenzi.com
Can you remove the lamp model? Maybe it's a problem of the CoronaIES inside the model (chrome material?) and it creates "caustics".

2018-07-16, 23:11:37
Reply #6

Jpjapers

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Can you remove the lamp model? Maybe it's a problem of the CoronaIES inside the model (chrome material?) and it creates "caustics".

I dont have an IES enabled for the light

2018-07-17, 11:06:17
Reply #7

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile

2018-07-17, 11:33:24
Reply #8

Jpjapers

• Active Users
    • View Profile

2018-07-24, 15:04:09
Reply #9

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
to self: asked QA if additional report needed
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2018-07-31, 12:46:27
Reply #10

Jpjapers

• Active Users
    • View Profile
to self: asked QA if additional report needed

Has anyone figured out the source/ a workaround?
Its a live project and im struggling to figure out how to make the spotlighting work without creating this noise issue.
I tried increasing the light intsneity instead of increasing in lightmix but it didnt change anything and i have to crank it to some crazy intensity to match real world light levels from a luminaire that size
« Last Edit: 2018-07-31, 13:00:35 by jpjapers »

2018-07-31, 14:25:14
Reply #11

Vlad_the_rant

• Former Corona Team Member
  • Active Users
  • Vladimir
    • View Profile

2018-07-31, 16:31:06
Reply #12

Jpjapers

• Active Users