Author Topic: Impremta Garden (+ breakdowns )  (Read 46796 times)

2017-09-14, 04:01:51
Reply #30

shortcirkuit

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thanks Juraj thank worked perfectly - very much appreciated.
So to use the different leaves, you have to copy all of them and then plug it into slot 2 of a multi-map? 
You cant instance this right because of the UV co-ordinates of the cropping?
« Last Edit: 2017-09-14, 04:38:30 by shortcirkuit »

2017-09-14, 08:40:20
Reply #31

JakubCech

• Active Users
  • jakubcech.net
    • View Profile
    • jakubcech

This is a very nice tip. My questions (for Rawalanche as well) - Now if I would like to use those in SpeedTree, I need to save them separately, so:
1. Is it possible to Batch "save" cropped maps?
2. Is it possible to rotate megascans before cropping?

2017-09-14, 08:55:47
Reply #32

Mr.Max

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Impressive work as always!
Thanks for sharing the process too
Simply, I love to put pixels together! Sounds easy right : ))
https://www.behance.net/NawrasRyhan

2017-09-14, 10:18:32
Reply #33

hkezer

• Active Users
  • kezerco
    • View Profile
Hey Juraj,

My question will be about the lightning. What was the workflow for this scene about lightning. It looks so natural and atmospheric but also all of the colors are so vibrant. Mostly I just put a simple HDRI from peter guthrie or cgsource and thats kind of it, In your the balance, bright spots all so balanced. I dont know how to ask actually, but I hope you got the problem I am trying to ask :D
http://kezer.co

co-founder @ ivaBOX

2017-09-14, 13:25:28
Reply #34

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Hey Juraj,

My question will be about the lightning. What was the workflow for this scene about lightning. It looks so natural and atmospheric but also all of the colors are so vibrant. Mostly I just put a simple HDRI from peter guthrie or cgsource and thats kind of it, In your the balance, bright spots all so balanced. I dont know how to ask actually, but I hope you got the problem I am trying to ask :D

Hi hkezer,

did you see the tutorial on first page ? Which image do you have in mind ? I will post more lighting scenarios but just so I know which one to start with.

Bright spots you mean spotlights/artificial lights in pool images or bright parts in interior ?

This is a very nice tip. My questions (for Rawalanche as well) - Now if I would like to use those in SpeedTree, I need to save them separately, so:
1. Is it possible to Batch "save" cropped maps?
2. Is it possible to rotate megascans before cropping?

1.) Honestly don't know, maybe Rawa does, but Photoshop has superior function for this. I'll search and try to remember how it's called. (it can be used for example to batch-cut planks from floor texture too).
2.) Rotating in 3dsMax bitmap loaded isn't visually represented in the cropping popup image so it's just shooting in the blank. PS is better in this case.

Thanks Juraj thank worked perfectly - very much appreciated.
So to use the different leaves, you have to copy all of them and then plug it into slot 2 of a multi-map? 
You cant instance this right because of the UV co-ordinates of the cropping?

You want to instance material parameters but keep different bitmap crop&positions ? This is super easy to do in Unreal Engine...but I don't actually know straight from head how to do it in Slate. Perhaps Rawalanche could chime in but I don't know.
Right now I just did it with copying.

There were some smart-ass comments about how you can use unwrap to achieve this more effectively. Well yes...that's the point, this tutorial is when you can't unwrap 10 million poly single-mesh baked-down Tree.  Maybe I will write in the tutorial extreme disclaimer about when only to use it. I am really annoyed about people who don't have constructive opinions but nit-pick so they appear to 'one-up' you and appear smarter.
Sorry, nothing to do with this forum but one asshole can really ruin my positive mood. Thankfully the community here is fantastic.
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2017-09-14, 14:17:18
Reply #35

hkezer

• Active Users
  • kezerco
    • View Profile
ACtually almost all of them especially bathroom and the kitchen. the opening is really small, and you have used some light (bulbs) but they are not that shiny. So I guess they wont change the interior. However it looks homogenoious. If I made that bathroom, I am sure it would be all dark and the window would be extremely bright. Really hard for me to ask :D but the light balance is so good

co-founder @ ivaBOX

2017-09-14, 14:35:17
Reply #36

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
ACtually almost all of them especially bathroom and the kitchen. the opening is really small, and you have used some light (bulbs) but they are not that shiny. So I guess they wont change the interior. However it looks homogenoious. If I made that bathroom, I am sure it would be all dark and the window would be extremely bright. Really hard for me to ask :D but the light balance is so good

True, the warm led lights are mostly just accents, although they avoid overdark places in case of the small one. I will open up the scene and look.

But as you can see from the before in post-pro image, it's rather bright already. I just expose the images rather high and live with the overbrights, use a lot of contrast (that also boosts midtones ! important for interiors).
The thing with overbright/clipped highlights, is that as long as they are desaturated and noiseless (which how a real camera would capture them) they look photorealistic and correct. You should never have any (or much) noise in highlights, but you can have plenty in shadows, that's ok.

I'll prepare more thorough break-down. I still have work today and tomorrow, so can't promise it will be sooner than weekend.
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models

2017-09-14, 15:21:23
Reply #37

hkezer

• Active Users
  • kezerco
    • View Profile
I see, so logical, thank you very much, ill be looking forward:)

co-founder @ ivaBOX

2017-09-14, 16:01:12
Reply #38

vicmds

• Active Users
    • View Profile
This is beautiful. And thank you so much for your valuable tips!

I don't want to overwhelm with possibly repetitive questions, but is the lighting process the same for the exteriors? Age old question... but... Sun & Sky? I'm struggling to capture a certain sunny afternoon mood at the moment, so I'll take any inspiration - probably the reason why my favorite image here is the sunny Patio. Love it.

2017-09-14, 16:10:27
Reply #39

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
This is beautiful. And thank you so much for your valuable tips!

I don't want to overwhelm with possibly repetitive questions, but is the lighting process the same for the exteriors? Age old question... but... Sun & Sky? I'm struggling to capture a certain sunny afternoon mood at the moment, so I'll take any inspiration - probably the reason why my favorite image here is the sunny Patio. Love it.

The Patio is really just Sun&Sky, with almost no modification, I don't even think the Sun is bigger size because I wanted sharp shadows :- ).

But there are again some tricks here too, I'll post screenshots laters. Right behind the camera, is totally black wall, so the furniture isn't overbright from bounced light. And because the buildings in front are lit just by cold sky, there is warm fog overlayed with z-depth pass. I do it like this because of flexibility, in reality there would always be haze when looking against the sun because of all the particles and sun. So photography always looks a lot more sunny than rendered Sun&Sky. So adding a haze, or bloom (or both), and sun-flare (either rendered glare..but, for Sun it doesn't look so better in post-production) helps a lot to sell sunny mood. This way you can keep neutral white balance (so white is white, and blue shadows stay blue) and add sun though those additional touches.

The Dusk Exteriors I will post too, but I think I only used Sky...instead of HDRi, I need to check. But it's the standard blue-ish color and real temperature for lights. But playing a lot with their placement, and I think at some time I had some "non-real" 'flash' type lights that are not visible but strategically placed to provide additional accent without the visible spotlights causing too much of burnout on furniture directly below of them.

2017-09-14, 16:35:56
Reply #40

vicmds

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Super neat tricks. I had already planned a lot of playing around with Z-Depth for post, but this broadens my horizons. Good to know everything is on the table, including the pitch black wall. I think it shows how important a photography mindset is when it comes to visualizations. Thanks!

2017-09-14, 18:19:28
Reply #41

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Here you go :- ) The Patio Setup. Tell me if something remains unclear.

(click on images to see high-res)

And here is light & post-production for Bedroom. Sun&Sky (default Sky, Sun size=4) . Tricks : Exact opposite of Patio, there is WHITE wall next to bed to bounce light back instead of blocking it :- )

That's it, absolutely nothing special, no secret stuff :- ). You can recreate exactly the same setup.
« Last Edit: 2017-09-14, 20:17:11 by Juraj_Talcik »

2017-09-14, 19:49:30
Reply #42

kmwhitt

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Very beautiful work!  Where did you get the wood beam material?  I will be needing something like this for an upcoming project.  Thanks...

2017-09-14, 19:55:22
Reply #43

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Very beautiful work!  Where did you get the wood beam material?  I will be needing something like this for an upcoming project.  Thanks...

Textures.com, scan-based textures. It's adjusted to fit my particular material but it's great base :- ).

2017-09-14, 20:05:57
Reply #44

kmwhitt

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thanks.  The material is very well done!