Chaos Corona for Cinema 4D > [C4D] I need help!

Workflow tips for compositing- maybe Multi Pass?

<< < (2/3) > >>

caspian:
Adding the Floor material to the Shadow Catcher's Environment is something I missed. But I'm still not getting quite the right result. It's getting closer, but the single output file doesn't have the scene alpha.

BigAl3D:
I use a Shadow Catcher material on a plane all the time with masks and alphas. If you set it up correctly, you can get all the layers separately, or you can even save an After Effects project file with everything already stacked.

I've attached a scene you can pick apart. You need to set your Shadow Catcher to Environment and Compositing. You must also drag a material into the slot provided, because if you had a white box sitting on that orange background, you would get some color spill. By making a material that matches you final background color for the poster ensures you will have the correct color that may be reflected on the surface of your box.

I've also enabled the Multi-Pass function. In the render settings, I also set it to save a Multi-pass image. This scene will give you 2 PSD files. You will have to do a little work, but not much. Just load the alpha channel as a selection and use the Float command to make a new layer based on your selection. You now have a perfect object(s) layer with a built-in shadow. The second PSD will have a clean mask just for the box in case you need to adjust the shadow.

As another option, if you select PNG as the output format, you will get all these layers as separate files. The only advantage to using the PSD format is that you could go up as high as 32-bit if you have very complex and subtle shadows and transparent areas.

Hope I didn't confuse you. Ha. That was a little rambling on my part.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mqb39mpi1na9a2g/CompositingSetup.zip?dl=0

caspian:
Thanks for your help and explanation, but I think you have shared the wrong file with me. That JB scene doesn't have any multi passes set up

BigAl3D:
My apologies. I have updated the link.

maru:
It looks like there is some overlapping geometry here, it's even visible in the viewport.

The shadowcatcher should be a single object. It should not overlap with any additional background object. The color of the shadowcatcher should be the same as the color of the usual background that you would use instead of the shadowcatcher (some orange hue in your case).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version