General Category > General CG Discussion

omniverse and USD usecase for arch viz?

<< < (2/2)

Basshunter:
I personally don't find the VR thing very appealing. However, the real time rendering looks like something I could benefit from in a lot. Most of my projects involves heavy use of lights and fog (Stage design) and I always end up with simple scenes (few polygons) that takes ages to render. It's very frustrating. I could sell one of my kidneys and get a 3990x but even then I doubt very much I'd be able to shorten my render times to a couple minutes, even for previews.

On the other hand, most of the time I need to animate these lights to show how they would perform on stage. So it seems to me that I definitely need to start looking into something else than off line renderers, at least something different than CPU based ones.

So I've started checking NVidia Omniverse and UE.

Juraj:
I believe nVidia just wanted a tool to present their performance to non-gamers, particularly designers, CGI artists, etc.. in the best way possible and under their control.

A pure real-time engine stripped of game making ability, always with day one support of their latest CUDA, Tensor cores, DLSS,...

How much it is/stays a marketing tool or be actually adopted as industry tool is debatable. It has big overlap with other tools obviously, like Marmoset, Unreal Engine, or even GPU path-tracers.
Lot of tools lately don't fit into neat boxes.

burnin:
Here's latest reveal: "Omniverse" going "Metaverse". So among standard stuff (visuals, RBD, sims) it's main plan and goal is having a digital double of real world to simulate & train AI, robots and whatnot, to virtually produce fully functional building before it's officially operational in reality. For architecture it starts w/ industrial buildings: factories, plants, assemblies, warehouses, terminals...
@21:52

piotrus3333:
It is one hell of a freebie. If nothing else you get three render engines (from one capable of 60fps to iray with spectral rendering), simulations and scene assembly tool. Quite a lot of educational content, samples and libraries. Extremely clean UI. Considering this is still beta it's a very stable beta.

The main thing is USD and possibilities it opens. If you can not care less - I guess you could test it as a free Chaos Vantage alternative.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version