Author Topic: Monitors  (Read 12969 times)

2020-06-30, 08:06:07
Reply #15

Maybejensen

• Active Users
  • MaybeJensen - Denmark
    • View Profile
    • Maybejensen
Anyone know anything about the ASUS Pa328q? THeir pro art series look promising
MAYBEJENSEN I Working on something I  Ryzen 3950x / RTX 3080

2020-06-30, 17:02:07
Reply #16

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Their ProArt is just brand name for monitors ranging from 500 Euro to 4000 Euro, that have very little in common, except one thing, Asus's poor quality control.

In terms of screen quality of 328Q, that is effectively identical to BenQ 3200U, they both use the same true 32" AHVA-IPS from AU Optronics, same W-LED edge lighting, cover the same gamut and feature only software calibration.
It also has the same age (5 years), so the newer panels on market have improved since.

If you get a unit with no dead pixels, and no backlight issues (ugly colored bleeding, not IPS glow which is natural and inherent to this type of panel), it's still very good monitor. If.. Buy it locally, so you can keep easily exchanging it.

But in 2020, I would not buy it. I also would hesitate about Asus Monitors in general. Not even their ultra high-end FALD & HDR monitors like 32UC fared well, and that's 3000 Euro SKU... doesn't bode well for their upcoming UCX, Apple XDR contender...sure it is not.
Asus in general tries to one-up everyone in specs. All Asus products sound amazing on paper, but quite often come up short in execution.
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2020-06-30, 21:05:13
Reply #17

Gewiz90

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi Juraj,

Thank you for your help, is it worth an extra $500 USD to get the PD3220 over the PD3200 if I'm a Windows user using an RTX2080Ti

2020-07-01, 14:52:19
Reply #18

Maybejensen

• Active Users
  • MaybeJensen - Denmark
    • View Profile
    • Maybejensen
Once again to the rescue. Appreciate the insight
Their ProArt is just brand name for monitors ranging from 500 Euro to 4000 Euro, that have very little in common, except one thing, Asus's poor quality control.

In terms of screen quality of 328Q, that is effectively identical to BenQ 3200U, they both use the same true 32" AHVA-IPS from AU Optronics, same W-LED edge lighting, cover the same gamut and feature only software calibration.
It also has the same age (5 years), so the newer panels on market have improved since.

If you get a unit with no dead pixels, and no backlight issues (ugly colored bleeding, not IPS glow which is natural and inherent to this type of panel), it's still very good monitor. If.. Buy it locally, so you can keep easily exchanging it.

But in 2020, I would not buy it. I also would hesitate about Asus Monitors in general. Not even their ultra high-end FALD & HDR monitors like 32UC fared well, and that's 3000 Euro SKU... doesn't bode well for their upcoming UCX, Apple XDR contender...sure it is not.
Asus in general tries to one-up everyone in specs. All Asus products sound amazing on paper, but quite often come up short in execution.
MAYBEJENSEN I Working on something I  Ryzen 3950x / RTX 3080

2020-07-01, 23:24:27
Reply #19

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Hi Juraj,

Thank you for your help, is it worth an extra $500 USD to get the PD3220 over the PD3200 if I'm a Windows user using an RTX2080Ti

The price difference is indeed quite high.. not sure I can answer this. The reviews I've seen of 3220 were all very positive, but whether it is worth it.

Depends if you're on budget. I am at point where I would buy it purely for those slim&flush bezels (I am vain and I am getting annoyed by the general ugliness of professional gear. I want to sit behind nice things. I am becoming an Apple customer? Uh oh..) and the future-proof-ness of wider gamut. Corona isn't color managed yet... but Vray already is. And soon enough, wide gamut will become lot more widespread with the popularity of P3 (far more useful color-space than Adobe-RGB).

For how much can you locally get Dell U3219Q ? I see it going anywhere from 750 Euro already.
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models

2020-07-01, 23:33:07
Reply #20

Gewiz90

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Its $839 USD for the Dell U3219Q Would you get that over the other 3 BenQ Monitors ( PD3200U, PD3220) ?

My budget was $1200 USD so I can get either one.

2020-07-02, 00:35:09
Reply #21

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
I would get the Dell over the 3200U, but not over 3220U which is the best of the three.

2020-07-02, 11:33:10
Reply #22

djstevanovic

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Juraj, whats with 144hz monitors, too expencive in 32" ips 4k?
I lost track in monitors when i bought mine (27" ips 144hz x2)..

I'm now maybe in position to swich for 32", but must be 144hz or at least 120hz, i cant go back to 60 now, get used to higher, 60hz feels like 15fps :)

Thanks

2020-07-02, 14:05:49
Reply #23

Nejc Kilar

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My personal website
Afaik the Dell U3219Q has some potential flickering issues when the backlight is not at a 100%. Not sure how that looks like really but I just wanted to share it :)
Nejc Kilar | chaos-corona.com
Educational Content Creator | contact us

2020-07-02, 15:47:12
Reply #24

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Afaik the Dell U3219Q has some potential flickering issues when the backlight is not at a 100%. Not sure how that looks like really but I just wanted to share it :)

Excellent point! You are correct, I forgot this being mentioned in RtRatings review. I quickly rechecked all popular 31.5" LG Panels (Dell 3219Q, LG 950-W, LG D99-W, BenQ 3220U) and it looks like flicker-free (without PWM) are only the more expensive 1k ones ( 950-W & 3220U).
But I remember having rather poor PWM Dells back in day and when using at sRGB default brightness spec (120 +/-) it didn't cause me eyestrain. But I had friend who was super-sensitive to this and he complained.

I would just get the better ones (950-W or 3220U) and have a bit of slightly future-proof luxury.

Juraj, whats with 144hz monitors, too expencive in 32" ips 4k?

Usually the "pro" features (uniformity, factory-calibration, good gamut coverage (doesn't need to be wide...but if not, then 100perc. sRGB, if more, than close to 100perc. of that, and not some random numbers) aren't found at same monitors on market due to different marketed audience.
But there are few professional IPS panels with 120Hz, namely the FALD Asus ones, UCG & UCX for 3-4k Euro:- ). I don't know any more from head, since I am ok with 60Hz.

https://www.asus.com/Monitors/ProArt-Display-PA32UCG/

2020-07-02, 15:54:40
Reply #25

Gewiz90

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thank you again Juraj,

I ordered the Ben-Q 3220, are there settings I should change? on the monitor and or windows

Which cable should I use?

Should I buy a calibrator like Spyder? If yes which one?

I'm sorry to bother you I'm just new to all this. 

2020-07-02, 19:29:15
Reply #26

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Sure.

- Make sure to use DisplayPort and never HDMI. Alternatively, you can use the USB-C (data cable) port if your GPU has one (VirtualLink on RTX-Cards), or when connecting to laptop.
- Use sRGB preset primarily if you want to see correct colors in 3dsMax/Corona (they lack color management currently, so only sRGB will look correct and has to be enabled by monitor, not from Windows), selected from monitor's OSD menu (but BenQ has some Windows App which lets you select it from Windows as well).
- Then you can optionally (you don't need to!) calibrate the monitor using almost any sond on market (because it's W-LED backlit panel), but I prefer X-Rite.

- If you calibrate, use that calibrated profile in Windows (type 'Color managment' into start menu and override into manual mode for selected monitor and select your new profile). Keep sRGB in monitor's OSD.
- Don't be alarmed if your 3dsMax will look different after calibration. 3dsMax(and Corona) ignore Windows color management, they show the fullest gamut of OSD selected profile. Only color-managed applications like Photoshop will show correct colors.

- Alternatively, you can just keep sRGB profile in Windows as well, making your life simple. This effectively disables color managnement in Windows, but the factory calibration (in OSD) is good enough (for at least a year). So your colors will be still correct, or very very close.
- The accompanying BenQ app can automatize some of this, like correctly pair color-profile in Windows, with color-profile in Monitor OSD. They need to match. You can't select P3 mode in OSD menu for example and have sRGB profile in Windows.
(For every profile in OSD, you need individual software calibration and resulting profile. But you don't need to make them yourself, they come together as a driver from BenQ.)

- Outside of the app (which I didn't try), you can use the puck to switch between modes. I don't know if it automatically switches both Windows and OSD profile at same time.

If the above sounds complicated, that's because Windows color management is shit.
« Last Edit: 2020-07-02, 19:33:39 by Juraj »

2020-07-02, 21:17:15
Reply #27

sebastian___

• Active Users
    • View Profile
If the monitor has hardware calibration and after calibration will the new colors be visible in 3ds max as well ? And everywhere else ?

2020-07-03, 13:00:28
Reply #28

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
If the monitor has hardware calibration and after calibration will the new colors be visible in 3ds max as well ? And everywhere else ?

HW calibration sits above the output from system, so it affects everything. But if the calibrated profile is of higher than sRGB gamut(color space), non-calibrated applications like 3dsMax(+Corona) will look wrong anyway. Oversaturated.

The only way to see correct colors in non-managed apps is when the color space is clamped to maximum of sRGB gamut width on hardware level (because OS profiles are ignored). Monitors that don't have HW calibration, still offer factory profile(s) that is applied above the OS, it can just never be re-calibrated on that level.

That is why it's important to get monitor with very good factory calibration even if it doesn't offer hardware calibration.

2020-07-05, 04:12:52
Reply #29

Gewiz90

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi jurag, this might be off topic a tad but I figured it’s close enough.

If 3ds max and corona are not color accurate do you not touch the tone mapping and LUTs in the frame buffer?