Author Topic: UVW randomizer & procedurals  (Read 2119 times)

2020-08-21, 14:16:18

Ben

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hey there,

I'm stuck with the randomizer and some wood procedural shader. The help desk article specifically states that procedurals should work, but not for me.

Following the helpdesk descriptions I tried severel different setups (with a group of cubes 3x3x3):

- one primitive in a cloner (setting "objects")
- multiple primitives in a cloner (setting "objects")
- multiple primitives simply grouped  (setting "objects")
- multiple materials with different names  (setting "material name")
- multiple materials with different ID (setting "material ID")
- different object buffer tags (setting "objects ID")
- changing the materials mapping from UVW to box
- changed shader from wood to noise (same result)

but the only difference I manage to generate would be the wood structure stretching over the whole group of cubes or over each object individually. I add two exemplary images to clarify.

Now I hope I'm overlooking some simple setting somewhere or else I assume the procedurals do not work as they should. Just to make sure I am not completly off I also tried a bitmap texture which instantly worked fine.

Any help appreciated.

Working on windows, c4d R17, Corona 6 rc2.
Cinema 4D Studio R17
Corona Renderer 6 rc 2

2020-08-21, 16:08:03
Reply #1

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Enable "randomize each tile" checkbox and increase the "number of tiles" to more than 1.
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2020-08-21, 16:52:31
Reply #2

Ben

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Nope, not the solution I fear. Tried again the setting for "objects" (which I believe would be the correct way when working with one material on a cloner of multiple objects), did not work. Tried also again the setting for different object buffer IDs, this time with a noise shader, no success either, see image attached.

By the way, this test was done on my mac where I still run rc1.
Cinema 4D Studio R17
Corona Renderer 6 rc 2

2020-08-21, 17:42:56
Reply #3

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
If you go to your procedural shader, is it set to be mapped in object space / UVW mode? It has to be, otherwise it won't work (e.g. if it's mapped in world space).
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2020-08-22, 12:54:18
Reply #4

Pepelecrabb

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Where do you select object space as opposed to world space for mapping? I think I know, but it would be helpful if your were more precise in your wording.

2020-08-22, 15:31:05
Reply #5

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
The wording is pretty precise :) It's in the Space setting for the shader (if the procedural doesn't have one, then it may well not work, as it may not be using UV space so can't be UVW Randomized, since it isn't being generated via UV space).

Tom Grimes | chaos-corona.com
Product Manager | contact us

2020-08-23, 14:30:29
Reply #6

Pepelecrabb

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Well I was wrong. I thought I knew what Maru was talking about but I looked all over the UVW Randomizer and many other shaders including Wood for a "Space setting" to no avail. I am such an idiot, I need to read better. It was under Noise the whole time.

2020-08-23, 18:20:29
Reply #7

Ben

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Now, sorry for the delay. Yes, the solution is setting the mapping space within the noise shade to UV(2D), thank you maru. Actually I thought of this before, but as stated above the wood shader does not have an option for setting the space and I didn't think of checking it with the noise shader.

So my understanding now: With procedurals that have the option to set its mapping space the randomizer works, with others (like the wood shader) this is not possible.

Edit: Of course this kills a great part of the usefulness of a procedural shader that should work in 3D and usually doesn't need uv-mapping. Since you can manually change the UV-values manually also with 3d-procedurals, I don't quite understand why the randomizer isn't influencing these settings but I guess that's the way it is for now.
« Last Edit: 2020-08-23, 18:37:29 by Ben »
Cinema 4D Studio R17
Corona Renderer 6 rc 2