Chaos Corona for 3ds Max > [Max] I need help!

Translucent Onyx Material with feeling of depth

<< < (2/3) > >>

Marcus:
Hi Maru!

Thanks! Great hint. I will play with this in the next time a bit to see what can be done with this technique.

In the meantime, here is what I archived so far.
I fractured on box and give it a material with Volume Scattering and a bit of Refraction.
In front is a normal un-fractured thinner box with the same material but a higher Refraction and higher Distance in Volumetric Scattering.

It looks not bad, although the fracture is still too uniform.
Drawback: 13 Passes (7,6%NL) on 2K resolution. Over 1 hour of rendering on a ThreadRipper 3990x

maru:
some further experiment showing the "depth" it can create

Marcus:
Wow. Great idea.
I will play with it a bit further. Let's see if I'm able to archive this complex and very hard shapes like in the reference.

burnin:
As well as is experimented & explained by maru, using Max, you have an advantage of OSL (& parallax mapping) to create such effect and even render it way faster.

ie. Cycles "proof of concept"
(& although it's done via Blender, you can use Cycles w/ Max or do it w/ OSL & Corona For Max) 

And "a proof of concept" proposal for inner fractures (just using reflection boards) on vimeo @~22min

PS
For a C4D user, OSL is out of scope. 

pokoy:
I may be late for this one, but still wanted to share it in case it's useful.

Since this is a nice challenge I attempted to recreate both the mineral texture and the volumetric 'splits' in the material:
1. The mineral structure can be reproduced to some degree with procedural maps. However, some of the built in maps are cumbersome or lack some functionality. I gave it a go with a 3rd party map called 'Electric', it can be used to get the white and red veins without much headache since some artistic controls are exposed, re-building the same setup with built in maps is more complicated. While the map is free (get it from maxplugins.de, it's part of the BlurBeta Plugin Pack), it needs some manual installation steps for the workstation and render servers. But once installed you have some nice additional noise map(s) to play with.

2. There's a nice trick to introduce these splits in the material by creating a noisy plane (or several) and scattering it over the object's surface. The material applied to these 'splitters' has a Distance Map it's opacity slot (with the Onyx geometry used as distance objects) setup up in a way that they render only inside the geometry of the mineral - white for the 'inside' color, black for 'far' color. When the onyx material is a volumetric material like Marcin already has shown, the 'splits' will fade out within the onyx geometry which can look way better than any mapped approach. Varying the angle of the splitter geometry with regards to the onyx geometry can create interesting looks, similar to what you show in your reference image.
The downside - the more 'splitters' you have, the longer it renders...

Attached are 2 images of both the green and the yellowish onyx material and the scene file (max 2021 and 2018 versions).

Let me know if you want to know some details about the setup, it's going to be a longer post and since you might have already found a way I wouldn't write a wall of text in vain ;) I've played with it extensively and could probably give some useful pointers as it takes a lot of testing to get good results and/or reduce render times.

In order to open and render the scene you would need to install the 3rd party map first:
- close max, head over to maxplugins.de
- choose your max version on the left side
- search for 'blur' in the search field
- download any plugin from the results - it'll always download the same zip of the entire BlurBeta plugin pack
- open the zip, locate the plugins (most likely in the 'x64' folder)
- copy 'electric.dlt' to your 'maxroot/plugin' path (or any other plugin path that you know will load in max)
- copy 'blurlib.dlu' to your 'maxroot/stdplugs plugs' path (important!)
- start up max
- you should now be able to see a map called 'Electric' -> the scene should load fine

Hope it helps.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version