Author Topic: Recommend a Home cloud storage server 12-16TB  (Read 1635 times)

2022-06-29, 17:02:00

tallbox

• Active Users
  • George Nicola
    • View Profile
    • Architectural Visualizations | TALLBOX
Hello folks,
any suggestions for a Home server of 12-16TB  (cloud storage) that is easy to manage and almost straightforward to set up?
My budget would be ~ $800
Thanks in advance
Architectural Visualizations / Deep work practitioner
https://www.tallboxdesign.com

2022-06-29, 21:22:24
Reply #1

danio1011

• Active Users
    • View Profile
My synology unit (1819+) has treated me pretty well.  If you are looking to spend less then something comprable, at least look for a synology unit with a PCI-e expansion slot and maybe 4-6 drive bays.  You can access via Synlogy Drive app remotely via windows or your phone, administer their control panel remotely, use as a robust local asset\project server, etc.  That would be my advice.  And unlike QNap it hasn't been hacked recently. 

I've used my PCI-e expansion slot to get their combo card that gives you both m.2 drives for burst writing and 10gbe ethernet.  Pretty sweet setup at the end of the day.

2022-06-30, 12:01:48
Reply #2

tallbox

• Active Users
  • George Nicola
    • View Profile
    • Architectural Visualizations | TALLBOX
My synology unit (1819+) has treated me pretty well.  If you are looking to spend less then something comprable, at least look for a synology unit with a PCI-e expansion slot and maybe 4-6 drive bays.  You can access via Synlogy Drive app remotely via windows or your phone, administer their control panel remotely, use as a robust local asset\project server, etc.  That would be my advice.  And unlike QNap it hasn't been hacked recently. 

I've used my PCI-e expansion slot to get their combo card that gives you both m.2 drives for burst writing and 10gbe ethernet.  Pretty sweet setup at the end of the day.
Thanks for your reply. I'm looking at this: Synology 4 Bay DS420+ and 4x4TB Toshiba N300
Architectural Visualizations / Deep work practitioner
https://www.tallboxdesign.com