Author Topic: Need help to explain corona vray comparison.  (Read 16353 times)

2018-07-25, 16:02:29
Reply #15

kosso_olli

• Active Users
    • View Profile
you'd be surprised...
With new glitches? =)
Stop protecting vray, i just couple month ago received vray scene for rendering in 3.60 and at 2-3 render it gives screen of death what was never happens with corona. Yes it was buggy scene but corona never freeze PC!, also i can render in corona the same scene just after converter. If you like vray use it, but stop protecting and trying to change our opinion or we can also start talking what corona is ideal render engine just you don't know that because use old version =)

do not forget compare price for both renderers

edit: my two cents
Vray's strength(s): much more capable of handling super dense, high memory scenes without a fuss. Generally faster in my usage for exterior scenes. More flexible atmospherics.
Corona's strength(s): The interactive view is so fast and so stable it makes vray look awful. Great material system and very easy to get a good result. Great post production features. Lightmixer.

Thats actually a quite accurate comparison, I would agree to this. Altough V-Rays IPR is getting better. It was quite slow in the beginning, thats true.
The V-Ray guy checking out Corona...

https://www.behance.net/Oliver_Kossatz

2018-07-27, 09:05:21
Reply #16

WAcky

• Active Users
    • View Profile
you'd be surprised...
With new glitches? =)
Stop protecting vray, i just couple month ago received vray scene for rendering in 3.60 and at 2-3 render it gives screen of death what was never happens with corona. Yes it was buggy scene but corona never freeze PC!, also i can render in corona the same scene just after converter. If you like vray use it, but stop protecting and trying to change our opinion or we can also start talking what corona is ideal render engine just you don't know that because use old version =)

do not forget compare price for both renderers

Vray's strength(s): much more capable of handling super dense, high memory scenes without a fuss. Generally faster in my usage for exterior scenes. More flexible atmospherics.
Corona's strength(s): The interactive view is so fast and so stable it makes vray look awful. Great material system and very easy to get a good result. Great post production features. Lightmixer.

Thats actually a quite accurate comparison, I would agree to this. Altough V-Rays IPR is getting better. It was quite slow in the beginning, thats true.

But the lack of atmospherics makes it useless for me. Has this been fixed in Next?

2018-07-27, 22:58:21
Reply #17

danio1011

• Active Users
    • View Profile
2: Just look at Bloom and Glare in VRay vs Corona.  VRay's B&G might have more features, but (for me anyway) it's hard as heck to use.  If I remember right in VRay the glare especially is affected by render resolution, which made it a moving target.  Same thing with VRayEnvironmentFog vs CoronaVolumeMtl, Corona gives me the results I want every time.

5 - Glitches.  More often than not I get frustrated with VRay's IR because it doesn't update.  It's a ton better than it used to be when it first came out, but I'm always surprised by little glitches.  Corona seems to always update with scene changes and be more stable.  Or something is supported in VRay production but not VRay IR...yada yada.

I dont get tired of saying this: Your last experience with V-Ray seems outdated. Lens Effects have vastly improved with 3.5. They are just as easy to use as Coronas Lens Effects, and they are not resolution dependant. I turn them on with every render.

Regarding IPR in V-Ray: There is exactly one(!) feature that is not supported in IPR: Atmospheric effects. Thats it. Everything else is working, and it is working fine for me without any issues in automotive viz. Some users here should take Next for a spin, you'd be surprised...

That’s good to know about the lens effects, I didn’t test them much during the next beta.  And to be fair, I wasn’t just talking about unsupported features of IR (although Atmospherics is a big one), but also things not triggering an update.  Might just be my bad luck but during the Next beta I was surprised to run into a few random things that didn’t trigger an IR update, something I rarely have ever seen in Corona.  Not the end of the world, I still use Vray for jobs, just my observations.  I do love how memory efficient Vray is and it sounds like the new Metalness workflow is cool!

2018-07-30, 06:19:21
Reply #18

Christa Noel

• Active Users
  • God bless us everyone
    • View Profile
    • dionch.studio
Vray's strength(s): much more capable of handling super dense, high memory scenes without a fuss...
hi, thanks for that 2 cents. but about the interesting part, what did you mean about high memory scenes without a fuss..  i think i dont really get it.. is it about the memory efficiency or the stability / "out of core" rendering?
i'll appreciate if you or anyone here share the result of corona vray memory comparison here. or at least share the link please if there is existing related article out there

2018-07-30, 08:50:40
Reply #19

WAcky

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Vray seems to be more memory efficient (which I believe is a known thing). I can throw a giant scene at vray with 100's of lights, 1000's of proxies (some massive in disk size also), and insane Revit model(s) and it'll render fast, and not complain, whereas corona will start to give me memory warnings and tell me the rendering will come out with dark spots or somesuch. To be honest this has only happened on one very complex project, however it has informed my decision on which engine to use for which type of project. This is (just one of the reasons) why I still use both renderers.

2018-07-30, 14:35:14
Reply #20

kosso_olli

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Vray's strength(s): much more capable of handling super dense, high memory scenes without a fuss...
hi, thanks for that 2 cents. but about the interesting part, what did you mean about high memory scenes without a fuss..  i think i dont really get it.. is it about the memory efficiency or the stability / "out of core" rendering?
i'll appreciate if you or anyone here share the result of corona vray memory comparison here. or at least share the link please if there is existing related article out there

Try rendering a highly tesselated car interior with CAD data provided by the manufacturer in 12k resolution, with maps for leather, fabric etc. in 8k. You will run out of RAM with Corona quite quickly because the progressive render mode alone takes a share of the system RAM. Bucket render in V-Ray on the other hand is very efficient. If you need even more RAM, let V-Ray render straight to disk without any framebuffer at all. Corona might be able to do this as well, don't know.
The V-Ray guy checking out Corona...

https://www.behance.net/Oliver_Kossatz

2018-07-30, 17:32:14
Reply #21

WAcky

• Active Users
    • View Profile

Try rendering a highly tesselated car interior with CAD data provided by the manufacturer in 12k resolution, with maps for leather, fabric etc. in 8k. You will run out of RAM with Corona quite quickly because the progressive render mode alone takes a share of the system RAM. Bucket render in V-Ray on the other hand is very efficient. If you need even more RAM, let V-Ray render straight to disk without any framebuffer at all. Corona might be able to do this as well, don't know.

A good point made by Olli: Progressive renderer in Vray will also use more memory.