General Category > General CG Discussion

Disney's Hyperion Renderer

(1/2) > >>

arqrenderz:
Some little explanation on hyperion render, the tokyo scene is incredible!
http://www.disneyanimation.com/technology/innovations/hyperion

maru:
The practical video is just awesome. It's a must-see for everyone. Path tracing for mortals - only Disney could have done that! By the way, Corona works exactly like this, maybe except the "ray grouping" part, but no one knows what kind of magic Ondrej put in there. :)

The city scene is really great, but I just can't agree with one sentence there:

--- Quote ---In our movies, we encounter very large and complex settings such as the city in Big Hero 6, San Fransokyo. This would present a challenge to any renderer striving to simulate realistic lighting.

--- End quote ---
Maybe 10 years ago this would be true. ;)

Ondra:

--- Quote from: maru on 2015-08-03, 11:21:21 ---The city scene is really great, but I just can't agree with one sentence there:

--- Quote ---In our movies, we encounter very large and complex settings such as the city in Big Hero 6, San Fransokyo. This would present a challenge to any renderer striving to simulate realistic lighting.

--- End quote ---
Maybe 10 years ago this would be true. ;)

--- End quote ---

there is still a LOT of scenes we cannot render.

maru:
Yes, of course, but I wasn't even referring to Corona. Stating that such scene would be a challenge* for any renderer doesn't sound very realistic.

*also the question is what they consider "challenge" - that it's impossible, or that it's very hard/requiring. If it's the second one, then I bet it is also very requiring or resource-consuming for Hyperion

Ondra:
well there are scenes that we cannot reasonably render in any renderer.

Tens of thousands of lights
Waterfall with correct reflection/refraction
Nuclear explosion in other room seen through keyhole

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version