General Category > General CG Discussion

Giving away your work

(1/2) > >>

naikku:
Right now I´m mad as a matafaka.
So the thing is that (I assume some another company) has asked our client to give them .max-files and our client is asking them from me now.
I said to our general manager that I don't want to give them - he said well I understand but in our contract with them it says we can give if needed.

This January I made some animations for one company - then after a month or two some guy sent me email asking for .max files.
He wrote he was hired from school to work there as an animator but he don't know how to make the same quality (with MR) like I have done in the animations (Corona).
We wrote them that we cant give the .max-files - then he basically showed his middle finger to us saying blaa blaa blaa etc.
(last week we got a call from them saying they will pay for the .max-files but I don't know what is our GMs take on this..)

So what are your opinions for giving .max-files to clients?
If I ever will work as a freelancer, all my contracts will say "I dont give .max-files, only images".

maru:

--- Quote from: naikku on 2015-07-01, 12:55:56 ---So what are your opinions for giving .max-files to clients?
If I ever will work as a freelancer, all my contracts will say "I dont give .max-files, only images".

--- End quote ---
This. Everything should be settled in the contract or other binding document in detail.

You said that "in our contract with them it says we can give if needed.". Then what's the problem?

Ricky Johnson:
I think it's very particular to each circumstance but, like you say, as a freelancer it's not something you'd ever offer up freely without discussion.

Initially I like to discourage clients who ask for a .max file by producing a list of all of the texture/HDRI/plugin/commercial 3D asset licenses that they would need to purchase in order to make use of the scene as it stands. I've found that many of those who ask for the scene files don't even understand what they're asking for. It's a request that comes from a department that simply wants to secure ownership of all the data being produced.

Obviously in your case you are bound by the decision of your company and the contract you've issued but if this guy wants your files to learn from what you've done and are talking about paying for them then why not see what price they offer for the privilege?

naikku:

--- Quote from: maru on 2015-07-01, 13:14:21 ---You said that "in our contract with them it says we can give if needed.". Then what's the problem?

--- End quote ---
Well true. I had to follow our GMs order and give files.
But once we gave files straight to our com petitioner, it´s good to give everyone told me, do it they said. Then I kinda lost
all viz-work for about two years. The competitors took our biggest client and they didn't order anything from us anymore.
If I didn't own shares in this company and wouldn't manage the IT here, then I would have been soooooo laid of.

naikku:

--- Quote from: Ricky Johnson on 2015-07-01, 13:32:04 ---Initially I like to discourage clients who ask for a .max file by producing a list of all of the texture/HDRI/plugin/commercial 3D asset licenses that they would need to purchase in order to make use of the scene as it stands.

--- End quote ---
Well now if someone wants to continue my work from where I left - they need to order Corona v1 :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version