Author Topic: Rejection of reflection  (Read 583 times)

2023-03-20, 17:33:26

LE DON

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi
I noticed the removal of material reflections was missing in the material overrides. Will it be added in an upcoming update?

2023-03-20, 18:28:04
Reply #1

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
I don't understand the question fully, sorry - do you mean a "Preserve reflections" checkbox? There are no plans for this as basically by then you aren't overriding anything anyway, and you're as well working with the full materials as you aren't getting the benefits of simplified lighting, nor of any faster rendering while working on the scene. Though maybe you mean something else, let us know :)

EDIT - BTW, preserve glass is only there because of windows, otherwise most scenes would be plunged into darkness and need manually hiding those objects; it's not there due to preserving refraction and reflection being "useful" beyond making sure light can still enter the scene.
Tom Grimes | chaos-corona.com
Product Manager | contact us

2023-03-22, 09:01:51
Reply #2

LE DON

• Active Users
    • View Profile
In some cases, I just want to see the reflectivity of materials such as metals, ceramics, coating materials, ...

2023-03-22, 13:03:00
Reply #3

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
There are no plans for this, it's not really what override is used for (which is a way to check lighting without distractions). There are some options, for instance you could use a Reflect render element which is exactly what you ask for here, nothing but the reflection component in the scene, I think this would do exactly what you want to do. You could also exclude individual objects from being overridden if you wanted to see their full material (e.g. diffuse color, etc. too).
Tom Grimes | chaos-corona.com
Product Manager | contact us