Chaos Corona for Cinema 4D > [C4D] General Discussion

Evaluating Corona vs. Octane (vs. Indigo)

(1/3) > >>

Kukulcan:
Hi all! First off, as a hobbyist I really don't like subscription model. Got me a R21 perpetual and was glad there was an unbiased renderer with perpertual licence - Indigo. Unfortunately, their forum is in deep sleep and there is practically no support for my content (Laubwerk, Vizpark, Forester).

My setup right now (and won't change for about probably 2 years): 3900X, 64GB RAM, 3060Ti - 8GB obviously.

Hobby work is mostly huge scenes with lots of trees etc. Loved to just drop a skybox in Indigo and let the sky do the lighting, will it be similar in Corona?

Render time is not #1 priority, but I love the integrated render preview of Indigo. I wonder if 8GB of VRAM will be a problem with GPU rendering of compex scenes and if with my setup GPU render speeds will improve over CPU substantially.

Animation is of no interest right now, probably will use Redshift once I do commercial animation again.

Probably stuff I can find out myself, but kind of also evaluating the community ;)

TomG:
GPU vs CPU render speeds, as to which is fastest, will depend on the scene to be honest. https://corona-renderer.com/features/proudly-cpu-based remains our take on comparisons between the 2 approaches.

As for 8 GB of GPU RAM, in general that is the most that any card has so the engines should be set up to work with that amount as it is the most common set up. What that means though is it should be able to manage doing any out of core rendering with that amount of VRAM, as complex scenes would likely require more, and having to be out of core does slow things down. Basically though you wouldn't be any worse off than anyone else rendering using GPU :)

For sun and sky, you can use our procedural sun and sky, or use an HDRI (or some or any combination of both). takes a look at using the sun and sky. You can have multiple suns and skies in a scene to render once and get the results from all of them for use in LightMix.

As for the subscription model, Corona is a little different compared to most - watching many subscription model software, my personal take is that the changes from one version to the next are often not major, resulting in a feeling of frustration at having paid for a year to get very little, and I wouldn't have upgraded if this was a perpetual license. Corona releases are usually significant (apart from the occasional maintenance release where we focus on the code itself, but then those usually appear as an "extra" during the year), so if you were on a perpetual we believe you'd want to upgrade to get all the cool new features, so would have been paying the upgrade price anyway :)

Feel free to give Corona a spin, you can use it for 45 days without any restriction (no render stamps, no resolution limits, you can even use it commercially if you want), but wanted to give you some starter answers too. Hope this helps!

Kukulcan:
Thanks for the comprehensive answer, Tom. Always nice to see a team member taking care.

I understand the reasoning for a subscription model, sure I would end up with a few hundred bucks with Indigo every odd year to be up to date. It would just be nice to have some non-commercial license until I am ready to go commerical again. But I see the problems of such a licence.

Anyway, I will check out the trial, which is pretty generous.

Don't want to open a new thread - sure more topics about Corona Scatter will pop up soon - but will there be a huge improvement in viewport and render performance over like Surface Spread or Forester?

frv:
Surface spread is great but Chaos Scatter is more straightforward. The key ingrediant here is camera clipping. In Chaos scatter you can have the render-camera clipped. In SurfaceSpread you need to assign a camera which is not practical if you have many different camera's and scenes.

Anyhow, camera clipping makes all the difference when working with lots of vegetation.

Chaos scatter also scatters over different surfaces with a set factor for how much on each surface is scattered. I don't think Surface Spread has that.  Laubwerk is very slow developing new stuff and hasn't produced much new vegeatation the past years. I have found new and more refined resources for vegetation at Graswald & Maxtree icw Chaos scatter.
Redshift is much better integrated in C4D R26 then before. But resources are a bit less than for CR and lack stuff like Chaos scatter and Cosmos. The resources provided by Maxon are basic compared to what you get from Chaos or the market in general.

Speed is something else indeed. For me the whole interactive process is much more important than actual renderspeed for the final images. I do mostly architectural design work. Time to first pixel is important to me and it seems that renderengines don't differ much in this aspect.

Kukulcan:
Thanks for your assesment, frv. I love the camera clipping in Surface Spread, but if it is even better in Chaos Scatter - great!

--- Quote ---Speed is something else indeed. For me the whole interactive process is much more important than actual renderspeed for the final images. I do mostly architectural design work. Time to first pixel is important to me and it seems that renderengines don't differ much in this aspect.
--- End quote ---

About the same for me. Not sure if I am stupid, but in Octane I wasn't able to have the preview render window integrated in a standard viewport. If that isn't possible that would be a huge plus for Corona.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version