Chaos Corona for Cinema 4D > [C4D] General Discussion

Why does Corona Sky horizon look so bad?

(1/5) > >>

ShynnSup:
I mean, I always get this diffused white at the horizon, and I have no control over it. For starters it does not work ok out of the box.

This is the result out of the box: Horizon on new planet, perfect gray line.

Change altitude you say: (2500m)

Does this look any better to you? The white diffuse gradient at horizon is not natural,  and if you have a water material it totally messes it up by making it also too white!
Same image as before with alpha:

Does that look like a normal water color at horizon to you?

Please guys, just look at some real photographs. Or at least give us some control. Right now I can't change the color nor can I reduce the gradient, only increase it....

Look at this horizon:

Look at this horizon:

Look at this horizon, look at the color of the water. No white!

Thank you

hurrycat:
I have been struggling with this as well, although in 3ds Max, but I would guess it's the same. In most cases I have been able to reproduce the reference I am after. Sometimes the horizon in real life is very close to what CoronaSky gives.

Oher times I have had success by increasing the altitude (not rarely at its Max limit of 15000m) and also changing the Intensity. You can also ColorCorrect the CoronaSky map (for example give it a cooler temperature >6500K, to give it a unified blue tint), and maybe feed it to the Direct Override Slot, so that it does not interfere with the lighting of your scene.

Lastly, you can feed it through a CoronaTonemapControl, so that it stays consistent while changing the Exposure.

What I'm basically saying is that you can get the result you want, but usually through tweaking the Sky map. So yeah, I agree that extra options for the Sky model would be great, but I'm not sure where I would begin with that. Maybe we will see this in Corona 9, along with a fix for the problem with using Environment Overrides and Volume effect at the same time. Cheers!

ShynnSup:
Thank you for the workaround suggestions...

I must be missing something because I can't find the CoronaSky map here in C4D in order to color correct it or apply the CoronaTonemapControl. I can only do this with HDRIs.

BigAl3D:
That Corona water example you posted and asked "Does that look like a normal water color at horizon to you?" actually, it does match the sky you have. It is reflecting the lighter colored haze at the horizon in your example. I think one thing you may not be considering is the clarity and depth of the water, plus is it sand or seaweed growning on the bottom. In those pics that show the water darker at the horizon, that is indicating a drop-off in water depth which usually looks darker. The placement of the sun also affects the look of the water.

I'm not totally disagreeing with your issue, but there is more going on in Mother Nature that we as 3D artists add to our scenes. Like Hurrycat indicates, you are still an artist and need to add your own touches to the results. Just my two cents.

ShynnSup:
Read carefully. I never said the water material is not working ok. I said the horizon of the sky is not natural. Of course the water is going to reflect the sky just fine and, in this case, amplify the horizon error.

The water is looking unnatural not because of the sun or because of a missing surface underneath it, but because of the sky horizon not being ok. Clearly the problem is not the water, the sky is.

Also, how am I suppose to 'add my own touches' to the results when there are no controls for it? The suggestions hurrycat recommended are not possible in C4D if I am not mistaken...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version